• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Space heater for garage

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We have a three stall garage, of which one stall is used for a ski tuning shop, boot lab, and warehouse/shipping/receiving for the global headquarters for Pugski.com. The director of shipping/receiving and ski tuning/mounting (@Philpug) has been complaining that its cold.

The garage area is open (30 X 30) and we don't intend on closing it off due to space constraints, but we'd like to get a space heater to take the edge off the coldness.

Last year we borrowed a heater from @Andy Mink (he can share what that one was) but I'm looking to buy one for Phil for Christmas (shhhhh don't spoil the surprise) and I'm wondering if there is a better option.

Things I'm looking for in a heater
  • Electric or propane
  • Quiet
  • Some kind of air circulation
  • Safety

Phil was initially looking at this one but I ruled it out due to my past experience with such heaters - Loud, burns off too much oxygen.

I'm open to suggestions.
Is something as simple as this good enough to take the edge off when the garage is chilly?

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Mr. Heater makes a number different sizes and their quiet and work well.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It was a Big Buddy heater by Mr. Heater last year which you're welcome to use again. I still think hanging some moving blankets so you don't have to heat the whole garage is the way to go. But that's just me.;)

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It was a Big Buddy heater by Mr. Heater last year which you're welcome to use again. I still think hanging some moving blankets so you don't have to heat the whole garage is the way to go. But that's just me.;)
We really need our own heater, but thanks. As for the moving blankets, I agree but if the person who is using the garage doesn't use them, then.....

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
Catalytic heater using Andy's idea, but just staple up some clear plastic to slow dissipation. Or 'lectric long johns.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’m not sure it’s the easy answer you’re looking for but I went thru this on my detached garage (my attached garage is heated) for years and fought it with different space heaters. I finally bought a wall/ceiling mountable heater with a blower and a thermostat for about $250 and never looked back. I paid a guy about $100 to wire it. My only regret is I didn’t do it when I 1st built the garage. I keep it set on a low temp and when I’m in there on cold days I turn it up. It heats quickly and is never in the way taking up floor space.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I’m not sure it’s the easy answer you’re looking for but I went thru this on my detached garage (my attached garage is heated) for years and fought it with different space heaters. I finally bought a wall/ceiling mountable heater with a blower and a thermostat for about $250 and never looked back. I paid a guy about $100 to wire it. My only regret is I didn’t do it when I 1st built the garage. I keep it set on a low temp and when I’m in there on cold days I turn it up. It heats quickly and is never in the way taking up floor space.
That is a great idea. Then you're not moving it around and tripping over it. We have various power sources in the ceiling so that's a fairly simple solution.
Do you have a link to what you have?
Or 'lectric long johns.
Did you mistake this for the "how cold is your junk" thread? ;)

That doesn't help with the cold floor/feet and getting the skis to a moderate temperature to wax.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Is the Mr Heater a catalytic heater? I couldn't find a description. There is a big difference between catalytic and combustion heaters, particularly in the composition of their exhaust.

FWIW, going straight to Mr Heater's site: https://www.mrheater.com/45-000-btu-540-degree-tank-top-heater.html, it says it is for outdoor use only.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
The area you want to heat is a big factor. I have used a lot of different systems for different purposes.
Personal favorites and their purposes (DISCLAIMER: all personal choices and free advice it should be valued at the rate you pay for it):

LPG Space heater for larger areas. Very effective but you have to ventilate. A hassle cause you are refilling propane tanks and it goes through gas faster than your BBQ. The fans are noisy so no tunes. The bigger they are the more area they serve, the more noise they make, and the more gas they burn. We bought one of these when finishing the interior of a garage in Cd'A, ID.

Parabolic infrared heaters. I LOVE these! Short effective range maybe 10' in the garage, but work really well pointed at the bench. 110 volt so plug and play and very mobile. Very portable and only about $50 or so at Costco. They don't heat a room, they heat a spot. We have 3 of them. Can play the tunes!

Ceramic heaters. We have had a couple of these think they are best in the house. Not a big fan personally.

VERY BEST I have seen. Hydronic Hot Water subfloor heat in a 3,000' shop in ND. Having oil wells on your property allow you to do different things than we mere mortals. If you can do this please adopt me.

Good hunting.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That is a great idea. Then you're not moving it around and tripping over it. We have various power sources in the ceiling so that's a fairly simple solution.
Do you have a link to what you have?

Did you mistake this for the "how cold is your junk" thread? ;)

That doesn't help with the cold floor/feet and getting the skis to a moderate temperature to wax.

I couldn’t find a link to mine. Probably because it’s old at the point. It’s a Farenheat brand 7500 watt 240v. I am seeing similar models to what I have on several sites. My neighbor followed my lead and did a NewAir 5000 watt brand that is similar to mine. I think he paid about $200 for his.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Is the Mr Heater a catalytic heater? I couldn't find a description. There is a big difference between catalytic and combustion heaters, particularly in the composition of their exhaust.

FWIW, going straight to Mr Heater's site: https://www.mrheater.com/45-000-btu-540-degree-tank-top-heater.html, it says it is for outdoor use only.
This is the one we have. Safe for indoor use. We use it in our 5th wheel. Only drawback is it produces a fair amount of moisture which then condensate on the windows.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
VERY BEST I have seen. Hydronic Hot Water subfloor heat in a 3,000' shop in ND. Having oil wells on your property allow you to do different things than we mere mortals. If you can do this please adopt me.

Good hunting.
:ogcool:
We've done heated driveways like this for a couple of customers. It's a bit overkill around here with the limited amount of snow we get but if you've got the money to burn...

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Consider getting a wall mounted infrared heater that can be aimed at the work area. Most can be pugged into an existing 120 volt socket. Don't have a specific recommendation, Amazon has several, so you read reviews
This is exactly what I was thinking... I've been places with them in a patio environment, and they work well I think. Probably work great for a garage where you can close the door. Something like this:

One you can point to the part of the room you want (on a swivel bracket on the wall) could be nice too.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
cheap (well under $100 Canadian) and simple.

get a 4800w construction heater, they come with both fan and stat built in.
You need either a 20a 240v outlet to plug in, or replace the cord with a 30a dryer plug and use the dryer outlet if its nearby.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Consider getting a wall mounted infrared heater that can be aimed at the work area. Most can be pugged into an existing 120 volt socket. Don't have a specific recommendation, Amazon has several, so you read reviews

^THIS. Feel warm without warming the air. Every other space heater is going to have a radiant component anyway - and this way you control the focus.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
I use a 75,000 btu diesel fueled 'Salamander' type to heat my 3-car sized uninsulated garage. I've tried various propane and electric heaters in the past and they just don't cut it!
I can take it from say 30 degrees to 60 in no time at all :ogbiggrin:

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't know what is the primary heat for the house. Oil, gas, electric, hot air, hydronic? Maybe a zone / loop can be added.
Not too comfortable with unvented combustion type heaters indoors.

Definitely think about sectioning off the work area from the rest of the garage as required.
Sheet plastic (or fire resistant fabric) and uni-strut/trolley system sets up quick, inexpensive and work pretty well.

Reactions: Ogg

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I started using this. Works great and used ones are all over the place cheap.

IMG_20191207_150248483.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online