• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
You're basically hitting run number 9. There's room to spread out in the trees, but I've always had my best runs near tower 13. The hill is pretty flat, and I only ski it when I have my family along. Punchbowl (number 11) sometimes has some windblown features to goof on, as well as Yahoo (run 20/21). You're always going to get a smaller crowd on Sundays in Southern Idaho vs. Saturday.

ella_g

Getting off the lift
Skier
@Bad Bob if youre up for a weekend trip Id check out Brundage in mcCall, around 4 hrs north from you. My kids had a race there last yr and we all had a blast .. it has a Targhee feel to it, and the town is great too (get a burger at my father's place). They have last minute deals on their cat ski operation and it can get really cheap, friends did it on a Monday with a foot of new snow and had a fantastic day. My kids race @ bogus and sun valley too .... Sun valley has a super fun vibe to it I think, but I might be thinking that bc of the race program which seems to have the worlds most gung ho and enthusiastic kids. I agree that Idaho is were it's at in general. When you're at targhee go see a movie at Pierre's in Victor!

TS
Bad Bob

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
You're basically hitting run number 9. There's room to spread out in the trees, but I've always had my best runs near tower 13. The hill is pretty flat, and I only ski it when I have my family along. Punchbowl (number 11) sometimes has some windblown features to goof on, as well as Yahoo (run 20/21). You're always going to get a smaller crowd on Sundays in Southern Idaho vs. Saturday.

The stumps and deadfalls in the trees are keeping me on the main runs till there is more snow in there. They sem to have the best coverage in the region, but not THAT GOOD yet.

@Bad Bob if youre up for a weekend trip Id check out Brundage in mcCall, around 4 hrs north from you. My kids had a race there last yr and we all had a blast .. it has a Targhee feel to it, and the town is great too (get a burger at my father's place)..... Sun valley has a super fun vibe to it I think, but I might be thinking that bc of the race program which seems to have the worlds most gung ho and enthusiastic kids. I agree that Idaho is were it's at in general. When you're at targhee go see a movie at Pierre's in Victor!

Brundage has been on my hit list for a very long time (it is one of the very few areas I regret not spending a winter at back in the day) will probably catch it on my way back to Spokane when the time comes.
It is a coin toss for doing SV on Sunday; bought a pair of groomer zoomers this fall I really want to try and that would be the best place for sure. More terrain would be nice but SV is skiing top to bottom. Saturday will tell the storey, no sense planning too far ahead.
Saw that Pebble Creek opens this weekend, but going to let the locals have their hill for 'the 1st rites' of the year.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The stumps and deadfalls in the trees are keeping me on the main runs till there is more snow in there. They sem to have the best coverage in the region, but not THAT GOOD yet.

Brundage has been on my hit list for a very long time (it is one of the very few areas I regret not spending a winter at back in the day) will probably catch it on my way back to Spokane when the time comes.
It is a coin toss for doing SV on Sunday; bought a pair of groomer zoomers this fall I really want to try and that would be the best place for sure. More terrain would be nice but SV is skiing top to bottom. Saturday will tell the storey, no sense planning too far ahead.
Saw that Pebble Creek opens this weekend, but going to let the locals have their hill for 'the 1st rites' of the year.

Warm Springs side supposed to open Saturday. Suspect ticket prices will go up.

TS
Bad Bob

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Sun Valley is open for business. Warm Springs and River Run sides are spinning. It is all groomer zooming and what is open is impeccably groomed, never hit a rock or a stick. The crowds are huge you can tell by the pictures. There were only 3 private jets at the Hailey airport, in October there were 8. 20181209_145122.jpg 20181209_123712.jpg 20181209_114823.jpg The inside shot is Round House at noon. It has been 45 years since I last skied here, and it is even better than I remembered. Picked up a pair of Volkl RTM 84"s just for this purpose and they worked very well, waay better than the right knee.

Seeing the race team cruising makes one understand why this resort has put out more US Olympic medalist than anywhere else. Everything open was like a prepped race hill. Those kids were digging trenches.

If you have never been there you should put it on your must do list.

doctortom

Booting up
Skier
Sun Valley is open for business. Warm Springs and River Run sides are spinning. It is all groomer zooming and what is open is impeccably groomed, never hit a rock or a stick. The crowds are huge you can tell by the pictures. There were only 3 private jets at the Hailey airport, in October there were 8. View attachment 60395 View attachment 60396 View attachment 60397 The inside shot is Round House at noon. It has been 45 years since I last skied here, and it is even better than I remembered. Picked up a pair of Volkl RTM 84"s just for this purpose and they worked very well, waay better than the right knee.

Seeing the race team cruising makes one understand why this resort has put out more US Olympic medalist than anywhere else. Everything open was like a prepped race hill. Those kids were digging trenches.

If you have never been there you should put it on your must do list.
Is the photo at the top from Dollar Mountain? Thanks.

TS
Bad Bob

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Is the photo at the top from Dollar Mountain? Thanks.

Both shots were taken from up on Baldy, and from well up above Round House. Dollar is not open yet. The one looking down over Ketchum was taken about 1:00, the one looking up to show the crowd scene at about 2:30. The quality and quantity of man-made snow is amazing.

TS
Bad Bob

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Not a lot of new snow to play with down here this week so looking to go play at Magic Mountain this weekend. It is little but it is close. Anybody got any intel? I have no problem with big or little, just let me skis.

The only place fully open looks to be Pomerelle and I've been there already.

TS
Bad Bob

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Pomerelle today. No fresh snow for over 2 weeks, I'll take it. Absolute bluebird day. 20181216_105128 (1).jpg
The view from the top looking North towards SV 20181216_123533.jpg
Tower 13 Trees mentioned above. About 400-500 vert of this lovely stuff.
20181216_091055.jpg
This place is half way up the road to the ski area, and there is not another home around for miles, but the do have a view.

TS
Bad Bob

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Last week saw a day at Pomerelle playing in (and on) a bunch of wind affected snow. Very windy day and the snow felt like it had been blowing for a few days. They had picked up 25" over the week, and the snow ran the entire gamut due to the wind, except for light. Found Tower 13 trees, some very good stuff in there. Biggest crowd I have seen, must have been 350 people there. This area has the largest proportions of boarders I have EVER seen.

Tuesday was Sun Valley for some groomer zooming cold and not much of a crowd. They had a lot more runs on the front side, Seattle Ridge, Christmas Bowl all opened up on man made snow. Was fun to ski some smallish bumps too. Firm and cold, but great stuff.

Tomorrow it is going to be Soldier Mountain. Their snow is thin but it will be another area I have never even seen before. Weather guys says maybe 6" tomorrow, we shall see. Saving Pebble Creek till they get some more snow and terrain opened up.

The client has me working 6 days a week; good for bank account, but kind of puts a crimp in the skiing days.

TS
Bad Bob

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Hit Soldier Mountain outside of Hartfield, ID. It is the hill that Bruce Willis used to own. First thing noted is that not too many people go there. The pic below shows the entire base area on a Sunday with 6"+ of fresh snow at about 1 o'clock.
20190106_134907.jpg
The place reminded me of Sundance, UT where you are skiing off of fingers on ridges and into a couple of bowls. They still could use some snow to cover up all of the sage brush never hit a rock or taken down by a bush but it sure had my attention all day.
20190106_123310.jpg
Lots of this kind of stuff and runs cut through the trees. Met the owners/mountain managers early in the day, they were kind enough to take me on a run through the backside off the top. Nice people, can see why they bought the place and hope they can make a go of it. Think they should raise their prices though (might never say that ever again about anything skiing related) all day weekend ticket $26 seniors $13, lunch and a beer cost more. Don't know anywhere else that gives you this kind of skiing for that kind of price. On the photo below look to the right of the tree that is right off of the upper chair, I laid those tracks at around 2 PM, shows how well shows how well this place holds up on a powder day.
20190106_125033.jpg
They offer cat skiing for $200/day that runs up above the the lift served terrain and it looks good. Might have to give that a go. A nice hill.

TS
Bad Bob

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Don't know if anybody is reading these but I am sure having fun skiing these areas around here.

Today was Magic Mountain. This place is only about 700' vertical and one slow old double chair but there is some interesting terrain in that 700', especially off of the top. There are trees, bowls, cliff bands, and almost nobody there on a Sunday. According to the lifties, locals and the owner this was a busy Sunday. Look at the picture below, and you be the judge. Remember this the ONLY chair.
20190113_111837.jpg

The snow was not good today, there was about 4" of 5 day old snow that had been frozen and thawed a few times but depending upon the aspect some of it skied rather well and some not so much.
The picture below is looking North from near the top.Cliffs are not my friends anymore but the runs between then were fun, with fresh snow they would have been lots of fun.

20190113_140621.jpg

The Lodge is not Snowbasin or Sun Valley but $15 gets you a burger fries and a beer.
20190113_130435.jpg
Bottom line, I would play here again, but not without some fresh snow. It is only about 40 miles from Twin Falls (my base of operations on this project). At $36 for an adult or $25 for a senior it is well worth a day.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^
Love it. Looks like a nice old school place. And I'm used to skiing 700' hills.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Gotta watch that sagebrush at Soldier Mtn. I had a bush rip off my binding on a big powder day. My wife said it was karma because I ditched her on the first run of the day. At least it was late in the day when I encountered said sagebrush.

How's the new lodge? I haven't been there since they burned the old one down a day after the season closed. :rolleyes:

TS
Bad Bob

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Gotta watch that sagebrush at Soldier Mtn. I had a bush rip off my binding on a big powder day. My wife said it was karma because I ditched her on the first run of the day. At least it was late in the day when I encountered said sagebrush.

How's the new lodge? I haven't been there since they burned the old one down a day after the season closed. :rolleyes:

Sounds like the sagebrush smudged you.

t is a nice small lodge but looks to be built with the possibility of expansion. A bit sterile with all white sheetrock interior but time will fix that. A kitchen, maybe a dozen stools in the bar and the same number of tables. The patio looks like it could hold some real promise on a nice weather day.

TS
Bad Bob

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
The end is nigh, this project is coming to an end. If I can push it a bit I'll make the last day of the Gathering. Meanwhile the skiing around here is great!

Holiday weekend went back to Pomerelle to stand in line and it was worth it; about 8" of light fluff on top of 4' of unconsolidated snow. And it was GOOD. The trees there really are good. If you go up the left chair and go left a couple of runs you can get about 800' of fall line through some good naturally gladed evergreens. If you are passing through on 84 for Utah or Jackson this place is worthy a day, It is a trip into skiing in the 70's. But Holiday weekends get crowded, judge for yourself from these pics taken on Sunday afternoon:
20190217_115731.jpg 20190217_114557.jpg

There was a lunch line. :nono:

Attachments

• 20190217_114557.jpg
    20190217_114557.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 1

Landlockedwave

Booting up
Skier
Just checking into this thread. I always enjoy reading others thoughts on my home state. I am in Boise and haven’t been to any these resorts in years. We spend most of our time at Bogus or Brundage, when we go to the cabin.

Cheers

Slide of Hans

Getting on the Red Chair
Skier
Just checking into this thread. I always enjoy reading others thoughts on my home state. I am in Boise and haven’t been to any these resorts in years. We spend most of our time at Bogus or Brundage, when we go to the cabin.

Cheers

I'm heading out to Idaho in a few weeks. I was planning on visiting Bogus Basin and Brundage as well as SV. Is either good for an additional day? I was also thinking about Tamarack, any thoughts?

Landlockedwave

Booting up
Skier
I'm heading out to Idaho in a few weeks. I was planning on visiting Bogus Basin and Brundage as well as SV. Is either good for an additional day? I was also thinking about Tamarack, any thoughts?

Right now you can’t go wrong at any resort. They are all buried but in a few weeks I would say SV & Brundage would top my list with Tamarack and Bogus rounding it out. I am partial to Brundage and the small mtn vibe, along with small town of McCall. Also having a place there helps. You could do Brundage one day, Tamarack the next and stay in the same place. Hope you have a great time here.
Cheers

Sponsor

Staff online