• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Bad Bob

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
The Snake is an amazing river, formed by drainage, glacial movement and flood events. It begins in Yellowstone in Wyoming, eventually spills into the Columbia and in turn the Pacific Ocean, passing through Jackson Hole, Idaho Falls, Twin Falls, Oregon and Washington. It's the largest N. American river (1,100 miles) that spills into the Pacific.

For those interested in geology and that sort of thing it's an interesting topic. I'm gradually exploring some of its many, diverse parts and hope to do some fishing and camping there next summer.

The Earth can be a very violent place at times.

Found it very interesting how the formation of the region with the draining of Lake Bonneville (Great Salt Lake is what is left of it) on the Snake, and Lake Missoula (what formed central Washington and the Columbia Gorge) mirror each other geologically. There are next to no archaeological records of anyone living on these drainages over about 7,000 years ago, it all got washed away.

To see places like Dry Falls, or these canyons and gorges, or the benches around SLC always fill me with awe.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
The Snake is an amazing river, formed by drainage, glacial movement and flood events. It begins in Yellowstone in Wyoming, eventually spills into the Columbia and in turn the Pacific Ocean, passing through Jackson Hole, Idaho Falls, Twin Falls, Oregon and Washington. It's the largest N. American river (1,100 miles) that spills into the Pacific.
Not trying to be disagreeable, but wondering exactly what you mean with "It's the largest N. American river (1,100 miles) that spills into the Pacific." The Snake is the one of the longest N American rivers (at 1,040 miles) that eventually empties into the Pacific although technically the Snake empties into the Columbia. And the "Columbia River, largest river flowing into the Pacific Ocean from North America" is longer at 1,240 miles long and "is exceeded in discharge on the continent only by the Mississippi, St. Lawrence, and Mackenzie rivers." Maybe your "It's" is referring to the Columbia.

There is also the Colorado River which is 1,450 miles long and used to empty into the Gulf of California, which is part of the Pacific Ocean. But the Colorado has two major dams and is used so heavily by seven US and two Mexican states that little flow reaches its delta. "For more than half a century, the mighty Colorado River has failed to regularly reach the sea."

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The source of that was including the confluence with the Columbia. I should have referred to the two of them as a system from the point of convergence for internet discussion purposes. They also related size to flow. I hope that clarifies this crucial point.

Last edited:

Posaune

sliding
Skier
This is a great thread for me. We'll be passing through this area the 3rd/4th week of January and this information is great! We're heading out I-90 to Yellowstone, skiing along the way, then heading home on the southern route and I'm not at all familiar with the area. I now have a place to start my research.

TS
Bad Bob

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Hmmm... did I just click the PugGeo button? :rolleyes:

Fair comment.

Kind of. I've always been kind of a tour guide.

THis is one of the few places in the NW I haven't really spent much time in and always been a what's over the hill person, so you're all along on the tour too.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I find it fascinating and fun.
Just don't see too many thread drift going toward geology/geography. :beercheer:

TS
Bad Bob

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
I find it fascinating and fun.
Just don't see too many thread drift going toward geology/geography. :beercheer:

Hope to take it towards terrain, snow, ski area vibe before too long.
Have always loved seeing the land with or without snow.

TS
Bad Bob

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Went yondering again today to "The City of Rocks" SE of Burley ID. This place is a climbers playground and really wish I would have taken my bike. Turns out the California Trail went right through this place. Camping spaces all over.

Would have loved to do some boulder hopping, but not solo. If a climber falls on a cliff and nobody hears it did it ever happen? 20181021_124444.jpg 20181021_132847.jpg 20181021_132832.jpg 20181021_131403.jpg

TS
Bad Bob

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Went yondering up to Craters of the Moon National Monument today. Maybe an 1 1/2 " of fluff up there. An amazingly inhospitable place. Over 1,100 sq ml of this stuff and a lot of cones and flows. Some of this activity is said to be less than 400 years old. The Shoshone had trails across this stuff, finding those would have taken some patience. Last time i went through there was the middle of the night under a full moon, if you ever can do that. There is a road (closed for the season) at the visitors center, took a little hike there; but would not get off of those trails on a bet in these conditions. 20181111_113125.jpg 20181111_103947.jpg 20181111_113320.jpg

TS
Bad Bob

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Finally! Skied Pomerelle today, it was very educational. It is a nice feeder area about 75 miles from Twin Falls. 2 chairs about 1,000 vert. $25 senior lift ticket for cheap old people like me too, $45 for you youngsters. A nice little day lodge with $6 cheeseburgers.

Very good coverage for December 2nd. The hill is located at the head of a valley, creating kind of a storm trap; a PNW front comes ripping down the Snake River Basin and runs into this canyon.

Lots of lower angle terrain, did not find anything too steep. The trees looked good but there is not that much snow yet, saw too many stumps and deadfalls.

Went with the best of intentions start easy; do some drills stay to the groomers, all that kind of stuff. Early season so took the rock skis, an old pair of Nordica HR Pros; that was a minor mistake. It had snowed a reported 16" Friday, and I'm there 10:00 on Sunday, it will be all skied out. NOPE! Dropped another 4 or 4 inches during the day.Should have taken bigger sticks, but survived just fine.

Here are the lift lines on a Sunday morning, and that is just about as long as they got. 20181202_101508.jpg

So in the end just skied 10 to 20 inches of loose snow all day, it is tough to do pivot slips in that stuff. Maybe next week.

Don't know how long I'll be here but living large while I am.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Sun Valley is such an iconic resort that it should be on every serious skiers bucket list. And it is easily the best high speed groomer zoomer in N.A.

Since Twin Falls has a Costco, maybe they have discounted SV lift tickets or like a lot of resorts maybe SV offers discounted day tickets if bought online in advance.

TS
Bad Bob

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Sun Valley is such an iconic resort that it should be on every serious skiers bucket list. And it is easily the best high speed groomer zoomer in N.A.

Since Twin Falls has a Costco, maybe they have discounted SV lift tickets or like a lot of resorts maybe SV offers discounted day tickets if bought online in advance.
I will be there! Their old fart day pass (which I have signed up for is $100. If they get more terrain opened up that might be next Sunday. Went on several 'working vacations' there back in the 70's, the place has always been special.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I will be there! Their old fart day pass (which I have signed up for is $100. If they get more terrain opened up that might be next Sunday. Went on several 'working vacations' there back in the 70's, the place has always been special.

Last time I checked, early last week, posted day ticket was $92 adults, $75 seniors. Will go up as more terrain is opened and closer to Christmas. Local paper said Warm Springs side opening Dec. 15, which is sort of late. Seattle Ridge should be about then also.

TS
Bad Bob

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
My kind of "crowds." How was your drive there? Did you take 30 or 84?
My apartment is on the South end of Twin, so Google had me take 30 up t0 84 across to the exit where the sign is East of Burley then out through Albion. Snow on the road and I had a better trip than the tank truck in the ditch. The only issue was stupid drivers.

Kent

Getting on the lift
Skier
My apartment is on the South end of Twin, so Google had me take 30 up t0 84 across to the exit where the sign is East of Burley then out through Albion. Snow on the road and I had a better trip than the tank truck in the ditch. The only issue was stupid drivers.
Sounds good. I envy your snow. 49° N doesn't have enough snow base yet to make it worth the trip - at least for me. Mount Spokane hasn't opened yet though they are planning on opening December 7th. I miss the November skiing I enjoyed while living in Colorado.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Hey Bad Bob, did you try that little tree run starting at lift tower 13? 'bout the only taste of steep you'll get there at Pomerelle.

TS
Bad Bob

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
trailmap.jpg

Hey Bad Bob, did you try that little tree run starting at lift tower 13? 'bout the only taste of steep you'll get there at Pomerelle.
SpikeDog, think I missed that one. anticipate going back this weekend though will watch for that one.
skied "6" a bunch of times to the point it was pretty well packed out. Many runs in the bowl "11" as well from many drop in points with the prevailing winds towards the left in the picture had the best snow.