• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

International (Europe/Japan/Southern Hemisphere) Southern Hemisphere Ski Season 2016

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I haven't seen a thread started about the Southern Hemisphere yet, so I thought I'd share some of the snow reports we've been seeing.

New Zealand is looking pretty good with a report of getting 3 meters of snow in the last storm.
Unofficial Networks has a photo tour of a NewZelaand ski area
Here is a link to a site with web cams of a variety of resorts in New Zealand.
Screen Shot 2016-06-05 at 6.28.31 AM.png

Other reports are saying that Portillo is getting their share of snow with 79" reported in the past 48 hours
Screen Shot 2016-06-05 at 6.35.07 AM.png

Valle Nevado Is getting its share too
13315246_10153552413505759_7995634545944095599_n.jpg

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The road to Ski Portillo. I know a few of our members have taken that road. @bbinder @SKI-3PO
Screen Shot 2016-06-07 at 9.48.53 AM.png

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Last edited:

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The Andes from near Santiago. Taken today by a friend. Looks like a good start to the season.

tg9CkFd.jpg

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Wish I could go back - maybe next year.

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
On the whole, I think if I attempt to go skiing off-continent again it will be to Norway to ski with my relatives. Yes, I used to ski with NASTC several times a season for a while, but my attempt to go on their trip to Zermatt ended rather disastrously before it began. If you're looking to go with them on an international trip, I'd suggest finding a really good travel agent that's knowledgeable about travel insurance as (IMO) NASTC's cancellation policy is pretty draconian, especially if the cancellation was for medical reasons...
:huh:

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
That web cam link for NZ resorts is informative. Still very thin there, not enough snow to start running lifts, but it's really early.

The Portillo storm was the real deal, at least 100 inches. It decreased as you move south, 5+ feet at Valle Nevado, 30 inches at Las Lenas. Still great for early June, and at this time of year it shouldn't melt out much.

Needless to say, lots of publicity, pics, etc. on the South America storm from Powderquest, SnowBrains, etc.

Susie

PSIA - Alpine II
Skier
I'd suggest finding a really good travel agent that's knowledgeable about travel insurance as (IMO) NASTC's cancellation policy is pretty draconian

Whenever traveling out of the country, I always recommend travel insurance, at a minimum to cover medical evac back home. While many will have medical insurance that works out of the country, for about $60 a trip, you can guarantee private medical care ride home, whether your insurance covers it or not. Travel medical insurance generally covers about $50K of medical costs and $1M of medical travel costs. Essentially... get you stable and then get you back home. Full travel insurance, which covers the cost of the trip too is generally about 5-10% of the trip cost.

As far as cancellation policies at Portillo, they are steep. Since the resort accommodates less than 450 guests, they are very restricted on cancellations... only a 50% refund within 60 days and no refund within 30 days. This is similar to policies on cruise ships. Ski camp coaches and their participants face the same restrictions so cancellation policies even with great camps like NASTC are also strict, even for medical. For those that may not be aware, airlines no longer offer medical cancellation either. Get insurance, if you want to be covered.

I tend to approach vacation and even ski camp vacation as just that... vacation. If I get sick or something happens, it's gone. Thus, while I always book travel insurance for medical, which is quite inexpensive. I often forgo the more expensive full trip insurance. However, it is available. My favorite provider Allianz Travel, whether for medical or full trip coverage. Although you can look at plans online, I find I get better rates, when I call them directly. You can reach Allianz online www.allianztravelinsurance.com or call 866.884.3556.

So great to see Chile start their season off white. Similar to California, they've had drought for many years. I am looking forward to getting back to Portillo in a few months!

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
I have emergency travel medical insurance from AMEX, covers Liz and me for $149 per year. It passed muster with Ice Axe Expeditions for the Antarctic ski cruise in 2011, so they agreed I did not have to buy their one shot travel insurance for that trip. The only exclusion on the AMEX policy is for pre-existing medical conditions.

If you travel a lot, I think conventional travel insurance covering just trip costs is a losing proposition. The insurance costs 5+% of the trip and over the long run will cost more than it saves. I was an actuary and insurance is for a risk you can not afford, like a major injury in a remote location where you need emergency medical evacuation.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This looks good for Australia
Charlotte Pass, New South Wales.
13532860_1223347901010357_342571008554767478_n.jpg

Susie

PSIA - Alpine II
Skier
It's been a few weeks since Chile received that big snow. Some of the southern areas are still lacking snow completely. However, this 7-day forecast should help:)
Screen Shot 2016-07-04 at 4.55.58 PM.png

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
More good news for Chile
13654310_10208779986149272_4702064635966080023_n.jpg

Susie

PSIA - Alpine II
Skier
The storm has settled and the totals coming in... currently Portillo is reporting 116cm in the most recent storm. With 219cm settled on Plateau, I'm feeling good that even if we don't see another big dump like this until Santa Maria season, all will be good for August skiing. Portillo holds snow like no other place I've seen. This will make two great August trips in a row. After too many low snow years in both my home of Lake Tahoe and Chile, I'm looking forward to another great week of Andean skiing next month!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester