• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Sous-Vide Cooking?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Anyone? Looks like a very interesting way to cook meat in a hot water bath.

Sous-vide-steak-text1024fe1-1024x627.jpg

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have one and love it. It is an almost idiot proof way to cook a perfect steak. An hour and a half with the soups vide and a quick brown in a cast iron skillet with butter, garlic and thyme works wonders.

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh, heck yeah, my wife got me an Anova circulator a few years ago and I love it. Does amazing things to eggs. Tender medium-rare chuck roast. Pork at 140F is amazing, with no risk of trichinosis.
One thing that I've found is important w.r.t. salting: if you salt the meat before bagging let it sit in the bag at least overnight so that it can be fully absorbed, otherwise a lot more water will get pulled out into the bag.
And I highly recommend getting a vacuum sealer, ziplocks are too likely to leak.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sous-vide cooking really shines with tougher cuts of meat like brisket or pork shoulder. The best corned beef (silverside) comes from a long slow cooking in a sous-vide. For steaks just grilling does the job for me, but I don't like well done meat.

+1 on getting a vacuum sealer.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
Hmmm... I thought 'sous-vide' was French for "without pants". I guess I've been doing it wrong.

Seriously though, my favorite way to cook steak. I don't have a circulator, I just carefully monitor a pot of water on extremely low setting, zip lock bags work fine.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hmmm... I thought 'sous-vide' was French for "without pants". I guess I've been doing it wrong.
Tom-aye-toe...tom-ahh-toe...whatever works for you...who says it has be one or the other.

I have a steak here that might be my test on this. 150* for 2 hours then will grill.

chilehed

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a steak here that might be my test on this. 150* for 2 hours then will grill.
If the picture you posted above is what you're going for, I suggest about 126F.

Now that you mention it, I've got a ribeye that's been salted and bagged for a few days... I've got dinner planned for tonight. Thanks!

Last edited:

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
We have one....don't use it much because it's easier to do anything else but it does make great pork chops when we do. It also makes a great steak with 700-800 degree sear but my Weber won't get there and firing up the BGE along with setting up the sous vide takes way too much planning. In short, I rarely use it.

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Anyone? Looks like a very interesting way to cook meat in a hot water bath.

Sous-vide-steak-text1024fe1-1024x627.jpg

I have been using the SousVide Supreme for several years. The sous vide cooking process is really convenient specially for large groups since you can cook a LOT of pieces of meat (or whatever) at the same time basically unsupervised and then sear and serve quickly.

The process does change the texture of the meat. Its different, specially the longer you cook the meat in the sous vide. Fat is also emulsified (IIRC) a bit.

The key part is the seasoning and searing. I like to use an iron skillet when possible or a grill. The hotter the better!

And yes, a food sealer machine is a must. I use a food saver and bags are readily available anywhere.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We tend to use the stronger Glad freezer bags..still not enough or do we need a food sealer?

Worth getting: Craigslist

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
We tend to use the stronger Glad freezer bags..still not enough or do we need a food sealer?

Worth getting: Craigslist

The food sealer is really a must if you intend to keep cooking using sous vide. It just makes it much easier plus the sealing is great for storing the food safely. The bags can also be cut to size which is great for odd size items (like a large whole filet) and less waste.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
The thicker the steak the better this method is. For those two inch T-Bones and Porterhouses, it can't be beat. I also find it the best way to cook bison steaks. They don't do well with high heat and this way you can cook them to the perfect doneness and then get a good char at the end without drying out the steak.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
I buy these & toss em a pot in the plastic wrap on low for 30’ while I prep rest of meal. Then pull em & broil. Key is stir every 10’ & Heat way lower than you would expect.
B041228D-E210-4C11-AA14-3CCAD2A1D40A.png

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sous-Vide, isn't that French for "Can't Cook"? Sorry couldn't resist :duck:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Oy, I see new appliances in our future. :doh:

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
IMG_2614.JPG

Crockpot, check
Steak, check
Seasoned with Montreal Steak seasoning, check
Herbed (rosemary & garlic) butter, check
Candy thermometer, check
Ski license plate frame to hold candy thermometer, check
Temp gage that is used for checking ski boot shell temps for punching, check
Patience to wait two hours, questionable.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
View attachment 42686
Crockpot, check
Steak, check
Candy thermometer, check
Ski license plate frame to hold cany thermometer, check
Temp gage that is used for checking ski boot shell temps for punching, check
Patience to wait two hours, questionable.

:eek::eek::eek:

Ghetto setup but it should work! :golfclap:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January