• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Loveland or Winter Park for a Denver weekend Warrior?

• Loveland

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Winter Park

Votes: 10 66.7%

• Total voters

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
In about the dozen times I've been to A-basin over my ski career, I don't think I've ever seen the east wall open.

Yeah, and when it's only open below the traverse it's not even worth it in my opinion. But when that North Pole hike is open, there's very little I've experienced that can compare.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
You are new.....get a Loveland season pass and four packs to Abay and Wp/mj and maybe copper. Then you have unlimited skiing and you can check out all the non VR mega resorts. After one season you'll have your own preferences. Your
New thought is A-Basin, Loveland & Winter Park 4-packs to each which runs about $500. Advantage to this would be that I'm not pigeon holed into a resort given that I don't know where future friends will be skiing (assuming I make them, hahaha). Then that would obviously be compared to getting the RMSP+ in the $600 price range, but then I could only ski with people on the RMSP+. If I went 3 4-packs, I could ski with Epics, RMSP, and Independents......

First welcome to CO..now shut the door behind you we are full:ogcool:

You are new.....get a Loveland season pass and four packs to Abay and Wp/mj and maybe copper. Then you have unlimited skiing and you can check out all the non VR mega resorts. After one season you'll have your own preferences. You've already got the friends part down...the Pugski crew is very welcoming and infests every mountain in the state:thumb:

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
Well, OK, if you get to it when it's like that^^^, sure, ;) but I mean it's pretty low angle, it's not super-long and the traverse is considerable. I personally have more fun lapping Pali.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, OK, if you get to it when it's like that^^^, sure, ;) but I mean it's pretty low angle, it's not super-long and the traverse is considerable. I personally have more fun lapping Pali.

Yes, I spend a lot more time on Pali than anywhere else, too ... but depending on the day, even below the traverse is worth it. (It was set a lot better this season, too; not so much uphill like the past couple years.)

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'd go with a season pass. More potential.

As to area, hard to miss with either choice. Both great. Going early in the morning can make a big difference.

If you are big on mogul fields, then it is no contest: miles of em at Mary Jane; never crowded mogul slopes of all pitches are so much of the terrain (but on weekends crowded lift lines to them sometimes). I don't see that in your profile, however: so acres of mogul fields at Mary Jane might not mean much to you, as they don't any longer to me.

Loveland is less crowded, as mentioned, and it's upper lifts stay open in wind/snow storms more dependably than at MJ/WP. "Day of" and "day after" the big dump are tops at Loveland, usually. But sometimes good at Winter Park/Jane too.

I've noticed that on a powder day, at Mary Jane most of the first chair regulars tend to go for gladed, medium steep mogul fields first.
At Loveland, they go for a bigger variety: steep mogul slopes under chair one, but a strong contingent go to all sorts of other powder terrain, because it's good.

For reference, I get both the Rocky Mt. Pass and the Loveland pass most years (plus A Basin - for steeps, and the other stuff early and late).

Of just the two areas you are considering, on a powder/crud day and a day after, I'd choose Loveland. For other days more of a toss up, maybe Winter Park, currently.

For lift lines, weekend crowds and ease of driving, Loveland. For lots of variety and big size, Winter Park/MJ, although by less than some might think.

But overall, for me, Loveland, of the two, by a hair, given your profile and needs.

If you decide Winter Park, I strongly suggest the combo Rocky Mountain Pass (including Copper but not Steamboat - you already have longer resort trips taken care of). It is not that much more. If you go this route, then WP/Copper would have the edge over Loveland, by a hair or two. To me, Copper balances out the weaknesses of Winter Park. On its expert/advanced non-mogul slopes and lifts, Copper is often less crowded than Winter Park. It perhaps has slightly better, more dependable/accessable steeps and chutes (unless you are into uniform mogul fields). It has a lot of hidden, steep tree skiing that is really expert, almost nobody in there (but MJ/WP may have that too, don't know). The powder at Copper - and Loveland - lasts longer, over more and more varied terrain, generally, in my experience.

Good luck choosing. Nice problem to have.

Last edited:

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
They now only off the RMSP+ so you will get all the skiing at Copper, WP/MJ, and Eldora plus the 6 days at Steamboat and 3 at Crested Butte, Mt. Bachelor and Alyeska. Not a bad deal at all.

This must be a recent change then, because in mid June I bought next year's RMSP only pass (just WP/MJ and Copper, I gather). I hope this change is not related to the new ownership.

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
This must be a recent change then, because in mid June I bought next year's RMSP only pass (just WP/MJ and Copper, I gather). I hope this change is not related to the new ownership.

That's weird because in June I tried to buy next year's RMSP only pass (to save a couple bucks, I gathered), but could only find the option to buy the RMSP+. Maybe you just have to be smarter than the web site. :doh:

Anyway, it all worked out because I planned a trip to Steamboat to make sure I "get my money's worth" on the upgraded pass. :D

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That's weird because in June I tried to buy next year's RMSP only pass (to save a couple bucks, I gathered), but could only find the option to buy the RMSP+. Maybe you just have to be smarter than the web site. :doh:

Anyway, it all worked out because I planned a trip to Steamboat to make sure I "get my money's worth" on the upgraded pass. :D

Correction: Sorry for the confusion. I may have bought it in May, not sure; but just before a sizable price hike for the coming season, either the last week or so of the season, or close to that? I bought it by renewal (for a senior 70+ skier). I'm pretty much clueless beyond that. :)

(It could very well be I ended up with a senior RMSP+ pass without remembering it correctly. But they did it by automatic renewal within their system, letting me keep the same non-plus RMSP pass card I used this past season.)

Last edited:

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you buy the RMSP early enough, you get the Steamboat + for free.

Sponsor

Staff online