• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Loveland or Winter Park for a Denver weekend Warrior?

• Loveland

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Winter Park

Votes: 10 66.7%

• Total voters

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
The AWD 3-series with some snow tires should work just fine for what I'm trying to do now.

My husband has this setup, and it's fine. We never get enough snow on the highway to make clearance an issue. Your bigger challenge will be tire storage.

TS
oswaldr2

oswaldr2

Getting on the lift
Skier
For sure. Upside is you have cozy ride up and down the mountains. Downside is for day skiing people will learn that you have a sweet rig and ask you to drive.

Minimum entry fee should be a case of beer and/or breakfast burros in that Astro van!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I know there are places here in CT that store winter tires. These are the tires I have on my Jeep.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Wrangler+DuraTrac

They are unreal. They are also designed to accept optional #16 metal studs to enhance ice traction. They are branded with the three-peak mountain/snowflake symbol (3PMSF) to identify they meet the industry's severe snow service standards.

I keep these on my Jeep all year as they are outstanding in mud and rain too.

I know this is a truck tire but maybe there's something comparable for your BMW?

TS
oswaldr2

oswaldr2

Getting on the lift
Skier
I just read about the A-basin expansion, I wasn't aware of this before. That definitely looks like a game changer for them!

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I just read about the A-basin expansion, I wasn't aware of this before. That definitely looks like a game changer for them!

Don't think it's a game changer really. The uber steep stuff will only be open a small amount of the time as it will take a long time to fill in and will be tricky to avy control. The beavers does add some nice skiing but it isn't nearly as big a expansion as zuma was. Beavers will not be open this season. (And in fact may piss off a lot of backcountry skiers if it is closed because of ongoing projects.)

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
Don't think it's a game changer really. The uber steep stuff will only be open a small amount of the time as it will take a long time to fill in and will be tricky to avy control. The beavers does add some nice skiing but it isn't nearly as big a expansion as zuma was. Beavers will not be open this season. (And in fact may piss off a lot of backcountry skiers if it is closed because of ongoing projects.)

I don't know what the criteria for game changer is, but if Zuma was it's hard to argue Beavers isn't. According to A-Basin's website, the Montezuma expansion added 400 acres of skiable terrain. The Beavers expansion will also add 400 acres of skiable terrain (not this season but by 2018-2019). In my opinion, 400 acres actually is nearly as big as 400 acres.

Edited to add link:

http://arapahoebasin.com/ABasin/mountain/beavers-steepgullies.aspx

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
I don't know what the criteria for game changer is, but if Zuma was it's hard to argue Beavers isn't. According to A-Basin's website, the Montezuma expansion added 400 acres of skiable terrain. The Beavers expansion will also add 400 acres of skiable terrain (not this season but by 2018-2019). In my opinion, 400 acres actually is nearly as big as 400 acres.
Depends on adding that 400 acres to what.

Also according to A-basin's website, the total acreage today is 800 acres.

So, if Montezuma is 400 acres, that was adding 400 to the original 400. Doubling the acres, definitely a game changer.

Adding 400 to today's total terrain of 800 acres? It's a 50% increase. I'd say it's still a game changer, but only half as much of a game changer as the Montezuma expansion. And if the terrain is less likely to open than Montezuma, then even less significant.

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
Makes sense. So it's a Semi-Game Changer (tm)

*Edit: also the uber steep stuff that is less likely to be open is only the Gullies portion, which is 129 acres of the new expansion, which is actually a total of 468 acres. Also it says it will bring the areas's total acreage to 1428, so the current size must be 960. So that means before Zuma it must have been 560. So game changer = 400/560=71.429% expansion. And this one is 468/960=48.75% expansion. Even if we correct for the unlikely to be open factor, say by 40%, we get (339 + 129*.6)/960 = 43.375% expansion. so 43.375/71.4 = .60725.

So technically it's a little over three-fifths of a game changer.

Last edited:

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yes, Schomp BMW in Highlands Ranch stores tires. They also participate in BMW's association with Steamboat. I think it was last season you could buy new tires and get some days at Steamboat.

If you are going to be in Denver for Labor Day weekend you may want to plan on hitting the winter sales events. You could get an unrestricted 5 pack to WP/MJ for $179. Not sure about this years pricing or pass offering because they changed their restricted/unrestricted offer but that's what is has been in the past. You can also get discounts to many other CO places. Loveland is in attendance at the event. Probably the best deals to be had for Telluride also.

I prefer MJ over Loveland but you really need to ski both to see what you think. Yes there is a tow option to get out to the Cirque at MJ. It's a $20 addition to your pass. Worth it. It's a hike

TS
oswaldr2

oswaldr2

Getting on the lift
Skier
If you are going to be in Denver for Labor Day weekend you may want to plan on hitting the winter sales events. You could get an unrestricted 5 pack to WP/MJ for $179.

What is this event? have more details? I'm moving in August so definitely want to check this out.

TS
oswaldr2

oswaldr2

Getting on the lift
Skier
Definition of game changer
  1. : a newly introduced element or factor that changes an existing situation or activity in a significant way
I'm kinda thinking we should open up a new thread with a poll on whether the A-Basin expansion is in fact a game changer. Probably would be a good debate.

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
: a newly introduced element or factor that changes an existing situation or activity in a significant way
I'm kinda thinking we should open up a new thread with a poll on whether the A-Basin expansion is in fact a game changer. Probably would be a good debate.
Be careful what you wish, based on what I heard on the chair lifts of A-basin, it could be a VERY HEATED debate

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I have the EPIC pass but ski Loveland several times each season (maybe 3-4 max). When it gets good snow, and the other resorts in the area do as well, Loveland is the least crowded one. Never mind that its the closest from where I live. So for quick day trips its hard to beat.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I'm excited to ski the Fingers with avy mitigation.

I'm bummed I only skied the Beavers once before this expansion. Although it sounds like maybe I could still do that in the coming season?

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
I'm excited to ski the Fingers with avy mitigation.

I'm bummed I only skied the Beavers once before this expansion. Although it sounds like maybe I could still do that in the coming season?

Yes, the gullies will be open/patrolled this coming season and the lift won't go in until next summer. Even after the lift goes in, you'll have to hike back from the steep gullies.

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier

MarkH

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I'm relocating to Denver from Chicago in August and am now considering my pass options for the season. I'm considering buying a 4-pack to each Loveland & WP, or getting a season pass to one or the other. My argument towards the 4-pack is that it'll allow me to figure out which I like more considering the terrain, lift lines, driving ease, etc... My argument for the season pass is that I'll get unlimited days and won't have to be conservative about when I go skiing. Obviously if I knew the mountain that I prefer ahead of time, I'd buy the pass there. Since I do not know this, I'm looking for some help from the forum.

My considerations:
Traffic: I'll be skiing on the weekends, I know it's not going to be pretty. Which is typically easier to get to?
Ability level: The more advanced/expert ability level the better
Terrain: glades, steeps, bowls & chutes are preferred
Hike to: having in bounds hike to terrain options would be preferred

I've read quite a bit of forums, site reviews, articles, etc... I'm torn at this point and will have to decide before the season starts given pass pricing and availability. I've skied all of the I-70 resorts but Loveland when I used to come in for out of town resort trips. I currently am a Mountain Collective Passholder for the past few years, so I haven't been back to I-70 for a few years.
Sounds like you would prefer A-basin - the east wall may be for you

Sponsor

Staff online