• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Something to replace my Rustler 9 for next year

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've mentioned it in other threads, but I have a pair of Blizzard Rustler 9s in 180cm that I mounted with Shifts and my intention was that they would be sort of a do all ski that was nimble, light, fun, and performed solidly in a wide range of conditions and allow me to go uphill decently. Well we just don't get along as I would like us too. I've skied 4 full days on them and while they hit the nimble, light, and fun categories perfectly they just don't perform in the range of conditions that I would like them too. they just don't want work for how I ski on hard pack or in crud and they definitely fail at floating my fully geared up self. They also feel short and I attribute that to I typically ski something around 185 and I should have gone for the 188. Anyways I'm theroycrafting for next season as my season will be over in about 4 weeks and I am impatient and can't wait till fall to start deciding.

A bit on me, I'm 220# and 6' advanced skier who pretty much skis anything but primary has to ski thin hard pack, crud, and weirdness as my local area gets less than 100" of snow a season and we have to use drags behind snowmachines to groom, which leaves an ok surface in it's wake. I raced as a kid and joined ski patrol at 16 so I didn't have to buy passes anymore, I get about 40 days a season. I have two pairs of boots now, a pair of Lange XT130s for alpine use and a pair of Solomon MTN boots for everything else.

The skis that I have really liked recently have been the Fischer Ranger 102fr and the Nordica Enforcer 100. I skied the Ranger 102FR as my primary alpine ski this season and will be keeping the Ranger 102FR for next season as it is fantastic. The hole I'm filling is the high 90'sish lighter weight 50/50 ski to mount Shifts to and skied with a pair of Solomon MTN boots. I've currently got two skis in mind so far the Fischer Ranger 94FR and the Renoun Endurance 98 (v3).

I figure that the Ranger 94FR is a narrower version of the 102FR that I love.. so it should be what I'm looking for minus the weight consideration? As it's a brand new ski, I doubt i'll get more info on it until later in the year.

The Renoun Endurance 98, both threads on pugski and Blister have also described to be pretty darn close to what I am looking for, a a lighter weight ski with some serious chops for dealing with adverse conditions. Plus they have a pretty killer return policy since there is pretty much zero chance I could try it before hand. I also really like the white top sheet and love having unique things.. this would be perfect from the vanity standpoint. It's all about vanity right?

Am I missing something else out there that would be similar to what I've mentioned? I'm open to suggestions, got plenty of time to think, ponder, and overthink this decision for the next 6 months.

(pssst. anyone want to buy a pair of 180cm Rustler 9's with holes drilled for a 321 BSL Shift?, only 4 days of skiing on them)

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Why not just put a shift on another pair of Ranger 102?

the reality is your asking to much from ski.....

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I haven't skied either the Ranger 102 or 94, but I love my Ranger 115s.

Nothing wrong with keeping it in the family, for a similar feel when swapping skis, IMO.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
TS
firebanex

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I would consider another Ranger 102 if they changed the topsheet for the coming year.. I've got something against having two of the exact same ski. As for swapping the shifts to them, I've already remounted them once and would rather not add a third set of holes to them.
I’d put the revised Moment commander 98 on your list. Two sheets of partial titinal. Profile slightly refine this upcoming season. Stupid light for its size and build. Info @24min here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/gear-30/id1308460981?mt=2&i=1000430618177
I listened to that episode a week ago but I fell asleep about 10 minutes in, guess I should go listen again because the shape of the ski looks to be like one I would enjoy.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just demoed some skis in this category and I match your size. From the write up I am not sure if you want a more stable chargier ski or a more nimble short turn oriented ski.

Also not 100% on hard snow vs soft snow priority.

Last edited:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
A 180 Rustler is simply too short for your weight. I'd suggest a 172 Soul 7*. 186 Nord Enforcer 104 would be excellent given that overall weight doesn't seem to be a priority.

* just kidding.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Like others have mentioned, you have to maybe decide what you want to prioritize.
A narrower, lighter ski will never charge crud or float like a heavier, wider ski so the Fisher 94FR will be similar to the Rustler 9 but a bit heavier and longer.
The Mindbender 90Ti in the 184 would be another option that’s slightly heavier and longer than the Rustler 9 or another step up in crud busting would be the Enforcer 93 in 185cm. None are going to float like a 100mm plus wider ski but they would be better in resort crud than the Rustler 9. Heavier going uphill though....

Keep the Fisher’s or get new ones mounted with Shifts for a decent 50/50 ski that’s not TOO heavy and then go with a narrower, ski that’s beefier for your crud busting. Or get something like the Enforcer 100 185cm or Mindbender 99Ti 184Ti to REALLY crush groomers, crud and have a bit more float if you don’t mind the extra width.

You could also spend more money in a Renoun/V-Werks/Moment Commander that’s “really good for it’s weight” in crud for your 50/50 ski instead of your 102FR.

Those still will not be as good as a MB 99Ti or Enforcer 100 in crud though and those are cheaper options. Could also get the Enforcer 104 Free in 186 if you really want to rip through crud. Loving mine and still very playful on groomers.

Last edited:
TS
firebanex

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You could also spend more money in a Renoun/V-Werks/Moment Commander that’s “really good for it’s weight” in crud for your 50/50 ski instead of your 102FR.

Those still will not be as good as a MB 99Ti or Enforcer 100 in crud though and those are cheaper options. Could also get the Enforcer 104 Free in 186 if you really want to rip through crud. Loving mine and still very playful on groomers.
I apologize to everyone, I am pretty bad at putting words down that correctly describe what I mean. But "really good for its weight" is what I was attempting to convey. I am already planning on getting the Nordica104fr but will be putting some Attack 14at on them since I do understand that they will be heavier skis. I've previously skied the enforcer 100 in a 185 for 3 seasons and loved the ski, but its heavy as well for what I had in mind. I'll kick it around for the next couple months but think the Renoun Endurance or the Moment Commander 98 is the skis I'm looking for.

Almost didn't see the just kidding on the soul 7 suggestion.. figured it was a fat finger for a 180something soul 7.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Enforcer 93 would be lighter than the Enforcer 100 and the MB 90Ti lighter still if you wanted something narrow that can still charge crud pretty well with the Shifts.

The Nordica Enforcer 104 with Attack2 13 is about 1/2 pound lighter per set than the Attack2 14 if you’re concerned with being too heavy. That’s why I have and it doesn’t ski heavy at all.

TS
firebanex

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Enforcer 93 would be lighter than the Enforcer 100 and the MB 90Ti lighter still if you wanted something narrow that can still charge crud pretty well with the Shifts.

The Nordica Enforcer 104 with Attack2 13 is about 1/2 pound lighter per set than the Attack2 14 if you’re concerned with being too heavy. That’s why I have and it doesn’t ski heavy at all.
The attack 14 is just so I can use both my alpine soled Lange xt130 and my touring sole Salomon MTN labs. Because the MTN labs are more comfy and warmer to patrol in all day compared to my XT 130s. Had Nordica realised the 104fr this season, I would have bought them instead of the Fischer 102fr.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
The attack 14 is just so I can use both my alpine soled Lange xt130 and my touring sole Salomon MTN labs. Because the MTN labs are more comfy and warmer to patrol in all day compared to my XT 130s. Had Nordica realised the 104fr this season, I would have bought them instead of the Fischer 102fr.

Was wondering if there was a non alpine or GW boot involved.

Fisher 102FR are nice too! Bit lighter and stiffer than the Enforcer 104 Free and lots of fun all over the mountain.

TS
firebanex

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Was wondering if there was a non alpine or GW boot involved.

Fisher 102FR are nice too! Bit lighter and stiffer than the Enforcer 104 Free and lots of fun all over the mountain.
I really need to proofread threads I post at 2am.. which is exactly what I did for this. Yeah. I have two pairs of boots and the MTN labs are so not compatible with the bindings on the skis I use most often but are the most comfy boots to patrol in.

edit 1hr later: I found an email from Renoun with a sale code in it and that pushed me over the edge.. Bought a pair of 184 Endurance 98s with the white topsheets. Guess I need to unmount the Rustlers and see if I can sell them before the Renouns show up so the wife isn't quite as irritated that I have 6 pairs of skis now.

Last edited:

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I was going to mention the Head Kores, but see you pulled the trigger on the Renouns.

@Quinn Trumbower is currently demoing the Endurance 98 this week in Colorado, so far his experience is great. They get another foot of powder in a few days to really try them out. Light, fun, can go everywhere.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Know you got other skis now but you can now rest assured about the Fisher 94 FR skis as Blistergear just listed the specs on them.

https://blisterreview.com/gear-reviews/2019-2020-fischer-ranger-94-fr

Same stiffness as the 102FR but a decent amount lighter. So very similar weight/specs to the Rustler 9 so it would have been pretty similar in feel to the Rustlers I’m betting. Sideways step rather than a big change.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
one nice thing about the Ranger 94 is the size break is better for some people.

184cm sounds alot better than 188 or 180 in the Rustler 9.

Sponsor

Staff online