• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Something Different

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hey, I am 73yrs old and I took a lesson yesterday and it was great.

I haven't been skiing that hot this year and did North Face Glades at Silver a few days ago and felt like I was a gaper/ beginner. So to partly solve this maybe problem I contacted a friend who is an examiner level guy and a great skier and he spent and hour and a half with me - $50.00 and really helped.

What I learned isn't really important but I also bought a pair of xti 88 Elans from him and boy am I skiing better. I was actually turning with my hips behind me and got on the skis right. Just thought I would mention here as this 90 mins really helped my skiing and my attitude sort of rejuvenated my love for sliding.

Anyone want to know guys name etc. just ask. Sort of says "you're never too old to learn."

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I shadowed a lesson today and yes I picked up a few tidbits. We all can learn something. :golfclap:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Lessons with a competent instructor are amazing. I echo that sentiment, along with the "not skiing so great this year" feeling. I'm glad your lesson helped, and would actually love to see what you worked on!

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
I took some lessons as a kid in the 1940s and again in the 1960s, when I wanted to get better. But since 1969, when I joined PSIA, I've spent a lot of time skiing with trainers, examiners and Alpine (demo) Team members. So one of the things I like about working at Breckenridge is the wonderful training. I tell our guests I take lessons every year now.

TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Lessons with a competent instructor are amazing. I echo that sentiment, along with the "not skiing so great this year" feeling. I'm glad your lesson helped, and would actually love to see what you worked on!

I don't put lesson/tips etc. in very good written format so please excuse. I can follow ski directions/tips/lessons very well but have a hard time putting them in clear written form. So here's a try. When turning I was letting my hips drop behind the turn and in doing this I also let my hands drop behind and consequently wasn't on the new outside ski. Lets say I am turning left. My hips where dropping inside and slighly behind my center/core with this poor move my hands also dropped behind. And of course if I was dropping to the left how could I pressure/power the Right ski which was my main turning ski when going to the left.

My instructor/friend got me standing still on a flat and got me to flex forward and into the new ski powerfully enough so that he could pull on me in any direction and not really knock me out of balance. So, (still turning left) my right leg/foot is fully engaged, pressure on the front of my foot, shin well into boot and power the turning ski into the turn. Had me practice turning (say still L) with powering the front of my R foot, lifting my tail off the snow slightly to really feel this and slightly pull the L foot/ski back. This enables me to match tips and make a very aggressive turn.

I went out and practiced this for about an hour. The almost instant result was good turns and an ability to ski at the speed I wanted no matter where. I skied a couple sorta adv. pitches and was able to ski either short or med turns down the hill and not pick up any speed at all by dynamically entering the turn I was able to 100% control what I wanted to do. Liked the feeling and results.

I had no idea my hips were dropping to the inside and behind me. The lesson was worth every penny and really opened my eyes. The real plus about the hour was he told me what I was doing and gave me the fix. Anyone reading this in the Silver Mt. area can avail themselves of this instructor just ask me.

I hope this is ok and sort of clear AmyPJ.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, it makes sense! I'm so glad it helped you--a good lesson every once in awhile is a great thing! I, of course, would like to have an instructor ski with me every time I ski, but...:D

Sponsor