• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Some Random Observations On E Bikes

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This is completely u scientific and just what I noticed on yesterday's ride.

Me and a couple friends rode the Hudson River Park bike/ multi use trail along Manhattan's west side. It was about 22 miles down to the souther tip of the island and back to where I parked at 158th street. Being a little showery, very cloudy and a weekday, I might add just 1 day after the annual 9/11 memorial services, it was the lightest traffic I have ever seen on that ride which I have done several times. BTW I highly recommend it if you happen to be in or near NYC.

Oh, E-bikes. I saw several. All were going faster than even the fastest cyclists and there were some serious cyclists out for exercise. Of all the e-bikes I saw, maybe 20 - 30, only 2 were actually pedaling. How is that exercise I ask? There was one electric scooter, not the stand up kind but it looked like a small Vespa style scooter... no pedals that I could see but it blew by us so freaking fast.

Saw none of the electric scooters you stand on other than 3 or 4 of these new fangled electric unicycle things that you stand on. All 3 riders were wearing full on full face motorcycle helmets.

I would not be at all surprised if NYC eventually bans e-bikes from the path. Accidents will happen!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Our local e- moped problem is not so much that they're fast but that
a)
they choose to pass in the stupidest places like blind corners, blind rises and road intersections.
b) they force fast riders to pass them on uphills and flats because they inevitably slow down on downhills - they never sustain momentum to make the next hill. This robs everyone behind them too.

Ironic, huh? Everyone is compelled to pass 20mph e-grandma/pa on the flats because they are also 20mph on every hard-earned descent and you have to ride your brakes behind them.

Last edited:

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I watched an e-bike rider today in "downtown" Morrisville, VT crush a pedestrian. He was cruising (not pedaling) on the sidewalk when the guy came out the door of the coffee shop. They were both OK, but nobody is expecting someone to be going that fast on the sidewalk.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The e-vehicles that surprise me the most are the e-skateboarders. They go very fast, perhaps 20-25 mph and seem pretty squirrelly. Perhaps they require more skill to control, so that might mean those that are really moving fast with them are capable pilots?

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
:bikewheelie::bikewheelie:I keep hoping for the best & seeing the worst. Yesterday I went slow into a light as 2 e bike riders were ahead of my car. They got upset that I was not passing them & started waving angrily. Once I passed them, they cut behind my car & proceeded to turn left onto the shoulder of oncoming traffic on a 4 lane hi way.

:eek:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January