Some Random Observations On E Bikes

Discussion in 'General Cycling' started by Crank, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Crank

Crank Out on the slopes Skier

This is completely u scientific and just what I noticed on yesterday's ride.

Me and a couple friends rode the Hudson River Park bike/ multi use trail along Manhattan's west side. It was about 22 miles down to the souther tip of the island and back to where I parked at 158th street. Being a little showery, very cloudy and a weekday, I might add just 1 day after the annual 9/11 memorial services, it was the lightest traffic I have ever seen on that ride which I have done several times. BTW I highly recommend it if you happen to be in or near NYC.

Oh, E-bikes. I saw several. All were going faster than even the fastest cyclists and there were some serious cyclists out for exercise. Of all the e-bikes I saw, maybe 20 - 30, only 2 were actually pedaling. How is that exercise I ask? There was one electric scooter, not the stand up kind but it looked like a small Vespa style scooter... no pedals that I could see but it blew by us so freaking fast.

Saw none of the electric scooters you stand on other than 3 or 4 of these new fangled electric unicycle things that you stand on. All 3 riders were wearing full on full face motorcycle helmets.

I would not be at all surprised if NYC eventually bans e-bikes from the path. Accidents will happen!

Primoz, Plai and scott43 like this.
  2. scott43

scott43 Making fresh tracks Skier

They are motorized vehicles period.

BC. and Primoz like this.
  3. cantunamunch

cantunamunch Meh Skier

Our local e- moped problem is not so much that they're fast but that
    a)
    they choose to pass in the stupidest places like blind corners, blind rises and road intersections.
    b) they force fast riders to pass them on uphills and flats because they inevitably slow down on downhills - they never sustain momentum to make the next hill. This robs everyone behind them too.

Ironic, huh? Everyone is compelled to pass 20mph e-grandma/pa on the flats because they are also 20mph on every hard-earned descent and you have to ride your brakes behind them.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    Primoz and scott43 like this.
  4. scott43

scott43 Making fresh tracks Skier

Like riding behind goofball on his Ducati Panigale at the track when you only have an R6.... :nono:

Tom K. likes this.
  5. Erik Timmerman

Erik Timmerman Making fresh tracks Instructor

I watched an e-bike rider today in "downtown" Morrisville, VT crush a pedestrian. He was cruising (not pedaling) on the sidewalk when the guy came out the door of the coffee shop. They were both OK, but nobody is expecting someone to be going that fast on the sidewalk.

Mendieta likes this.

6. Jim Kenney

Jim Kenney Travel Correspondent Industry Insider Team Gathermeister

The e-vehicles that surprise me the most are the e-skateboarders. They go very fast, perhaps 20-25 mph and seem pretty squirrelly. Perhaps they require more skill to control, so that might mean those that are really moving fast with them are capable pilots?

7. KingGrump

KingGrump Most Interesting Man In The World Team Gathermeister

Remember your 20's? :cool:

8. Ross Biff

Ross Biff The older I get, the faster I was.... Skier

Luckily, I do! ...managed to live through them with minimal major trauma. 20's= action.........consequence. 40's=consequence..... action....maybe...

9. Brian Finch

Brian Finch PT, CSCS, Cert- DN, FRCms, M|WOD Coach Industry Insider

:bikewheelie::bikewheelie:I keep hoping for the best & seeing the worst. Yesterday I went slow into a light as 2 e bike riders were ahead of my car. They got upset that I was not passing them & started waving angrily. Once I passed them, they cut behind my car & proceeded to turn left onto the shoulder of oncoming traffic on a 4 lane hi way.

:eek:

10. cantunamunch

cantunamunch Meh Skier

Lovely. :nono: I was fortunate enough to not run into any since Thursday - too buggy out there I expect :cool: