• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
We spent a long weekend at Snowshoe last month. It was the first time I had been there in more than 20 years and we had a good trip even though it was cut short by a day due to the virus. It seems like very little has changed since i was there last. In fact I would say a good deal if the infrastructure is in need of attention ranging from a little TLC to a bulldozer. I noticed when booking that a lot of accommodations are very dated. That's not a deal breaker for me really as long as they are clean and functional and priced accordingly but the're not cheap. Skiing booked in advance was pretty reasonable as I believe it worked to about $39/day per adult. Conditions aside the skiing was decent but there really isn't much to get excited about other than the Cupp Run and Shay's Revenge. They've certainly had a rough season with little snow and limited cold weather. They did an admirable job make the most of what they had. My wife, who has never really progressed beyond a beginner skier struggled with the narrow green runs that seem to mostly traverse the mountain and tend to be rather crowded as they are used by everyone to get around. They've added a couple of runs adjacent to Widow Maker since I was there last and the detachable chairs for the western territory, Ball Hooter, and Soaring Eagle are nice improvements. I can't help but wonder why most of the resort feels like a time capsule from the 70s. I am sure being an upside down resort makes expansion and growth a little more complicated. With the trend towards warmer winters and lower snow fall can they expand snow making enough to be 100% open because they never got there this year? Is it possible to expand terrain, particularly in the western territory where they have more vertical to work with?

TS
Cameron

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
We drove there the second day because I thought it would be better but turned around when they were going to charge me $10-20 to park. Yes the shuttle is free but its slow and a pain in the ass with 7 year old and my wife in tow. We had ski in/out accommodations at Snowshoe so it was hard not to just walk out the door to ski.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I would have agreed about Snowshoe being a relic from another era - except I've been to Timberline and Blue Knob.

Snowshoe is like a CES exhibit hall compared to either of those two.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I do much of my skiing in the west now, but for 50 years I skied widely throughout the mid-Atlantic. From what I could tell, you were smart to go to Snowshoe during a very uncooperative winter. It had some of the better conditions and higher percent of terrain open of any mid-Atlantic ski area this winter, presumably due to aggressive snowmaking on the infrequent good days for that. The high elevation there and trail grooming also preserves snow better than most other areas.

Having said that, I've only made two trips to Snowshoe, once in the early 80s and once in the early 00s. It's about 4.5 hrs from home and staying overnight makes it kind of expensive. So I'd go elsewhere for day trips and New England or Rockies for multi-day trips.

Recommend you try the revitalized Timberline Mtn and nearby Canaan Valley ski area in WV this coming winter for something different and possibly cheaper if it's not too much farther from your home.

PS: as cantunamunch says though, they won't be fancy. You have to go to Beaver Creek or Deer Valley for fancy:)

TS
Cameron

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
I will likely give Timberline a try next season since my PNS season pass will get me 1/2 off lift tickets and I've wanted to try it for year but I kind enjoy the resort atmosphere at Snowshoe. Even though its relatively small the village is nice. We did have some expensive but excellent pizza at Cheat Mountain Pizza.

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The one time I went to Snowshoe, I made the mistake of not realizing that lodging at the resort is really all that exists, and in an effort to save money, I booked at what turned out to be a hunting lodge in the off season. I liked the vibe at Canaan Valley better, but to be honest I've only gone to each place once. It was a better option for me to fly west. I sympathize, though, that if the wife is a beginner, it can be a bit of an investment.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
........ I can't help but wonder why most of the resort feels like a time capsule from the 70s.

"Time capsule skiing" -- I like that.

But Snowshoe's OLDEST lift is from 1974 .

Where I often ski at Mt Hood Skibowl, the NEWEST lift was built in 1975, and the oldest is from 1961 -- a real time capsule.

Snowshoe-lifts.JPG Skibowl-Lifts.JPG

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I always like Snowshoe once I’m there. It’s just tough to get to and pricey for what it is once I’m there. Crowded on most weekends when conditions are good. It’d be a great mid-week place to ski if you are relatively close travel wise.

I do love planning trips there though because once I lay out travel time and lodging costs, I always end up going west to ski! Lol

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier

Where I often ski at Mt Hood Skibowl, the NEWEST lift was built in 1975, and the oldest is from 1961 -- a real time capsule.

View attachment 100188 View attachment 100189
Also illustrates why a lot the slopes of a lot of areas are getting so much traffic on them...you can see the increase in uphill capacity at Snowshoe.

TS
Cameron

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier

View attachment 100188 View attachment 100189
Old lifts are one things but when you browse listings on VRBO, Home Away, etc. many of properties have never been updated. The Shaver Center has had new paint here and there but the men’s room had numerous broken tiles and the exterior of the building has seen better days. Even the newer properties like Rim Fire which really isn’t that new seem to be in some serious need of some TLC.

Sponsor