• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Some feel good video stoke Alyeska

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
That is such a fine mountain, so many memories. Thanks for sharing. This shows a bit more of the area mostly the Bowl.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Cool... I've always thought it would be cool to go up there to ski. We drove past the resort last May on the way to the cruise ship for an Alaska cruise - made me want to get back.

You can just see a few of the runs here on the lower mountain below the snow line:

Alaska Cruise 052519 021 ACR Conv.jpg

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Cool... I've always thought it would be cool to go up there to ski. We drove past the resort last May on the way to the cruise ship for an Alaska cruise - made me want to get back.

You can just see a few of the runs here on the lower mountain below the snow line:

View attachment 98177
Well....Gathermeister.....

Snapcase26

Booting up
Skier
A heading up 20/21 season. have 2 day heli and 2-3 days resort. Is it worth checking out artic valley? We tend to like the smaller off the beaten path resorts, mad river glen, bridger bowl, whitewater, etc. Bridger and whitewater remain 4 of the best resort days we have ever had. Thanks in advance for any input

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A heading up 20/21 season. have 2 day heli and 2-3 days resort. Is it worth checking out artic valley? We tend to like the smaller off the beaten path resorts, mad river glen, bridger bowl, whitewater, etc. Bridger and whitewater remain 4 of the best resort days we have ever had. Thanks in advance for any input
I did ski there back in the mid 90's. It is either on or near a military base, it is where they also to some training. One of the days I was there was the coldest day I ever skied. We got there and as I went to buy a lift ticket, the women would not sell me one until I took a run. I booted up, got as warm as I could and took a run, I mean, how cold could it be? I immediately skied back in and thanked her, took off my boots and left. It was the coldest I ever was in my life.

I am not sure Skeetawk up above Wasilla will be open but it might be worth a look. There might still be some cat operations there. There is a smaller mountain in Anchorage, Hilltop. I did a drive by but didn't ski it.

Snapcase26

Booting up
Skier
I did ski there back in the mid 90's. It is either on or near a military base, it is where they also to some training. One of the days I was there was the coldest day I ever skied. We got there and as I went to buy a lift ticket, the women would not sell me one until I took a run. I booted up, got as warm as I could and took a run, I mean, how cold could it be? I immediately skied back in and thanked her, took off my boots and left. It was the coldest I ever was in my life.

I am not sure Skeetawk up above Wasilla will be open but it might be worth a look. There might still be some cat operations there. There is a smaller mountain in Anchorage, Hilltop. I did a drive by but didn't ski it.
Thanks for the reply. might check out Skeetawk. Hilltop from what i understand is a very basic mtn. would bring my kids if they came with me. Staying at alyeska and flying w: chugach heli.
Your description artic reminds me of my father explaining how Killington, VT used to give out army blankets for the lift ride up.
But major props to artic for the honesty at the gate.
and thanks again for the reply

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
If you catch Arctic on a nice day it is a pretty little ski area with some pretty dramatic views. Not a tree in site is don't go in the clouds/flat light. Spring afternoons driving down from there have seen some amazing optical illusions.

If the choice is giving up Alyeska for Arctic, don't do it. If it lets you ski an afternoon on arrival sure.

Snapcase26

Booting up
Skier
appreciate the feedback. Might as well ask because this site is the reason we went to red, whitewater, valhalla powdercats , and bridger and has never steered me wrong. Will my enforcer 104s be good enough for the heli days?

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
appreciate the feedback. Might as well ask because this site is the reason we went to red, whitewater, valhalla powdercats , and bridger and has never steered me wrong. Will my enforcer 104s be good enough for the heli days?
They will, unless you want to buy new skis. :decisions: You will get answers to this question all through the spectrum, but you are going to ski maritime snow so higher moisture content.

My time in Alaska was in the dark ages, but the snow hasn't changed. Did some copter guiding on a pair of Spalding Formidables,and they worked fine.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
@Philpug and I have talked about visiting family in Alaska and hit up Alyeska
This video made me dream a little and smile during this crazy time in our world.
@Lil Georg
They did a great job on that video! Love it.

Seeing the Alyeska hotel brings back fond memories of a trip to Alaska 3 years ago in the summer. We splashed out and stayed at the Alyeska hotel for a couple nights and what a nice place. Took the tram ride up in summer and ate at that restaurant up there. Being a skier, I sought out to get a look down Christmas and New Year's chutes while I was up there.

Seems like a fun place to ski although I imagine duration of sunlight in winter means ski days are shorter? Would be amazing to go ski Alyeska one year along with some Alaskan heli days.

Travelling through Alaska also gave us a flavor for how hard core that place can be. Plenty of people we met considered Denali the Alaskan equivalent of Disneyland. People charter a plane, get dropped off in some remote region that is only accessible that way and are like, come back and get us in a week.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January