• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Spotted a hostel on Main St. in Bozeman Montana last week. That would get you Big Sky and Bridger.

Haven't been to a hostel in a very long time, they used to be very.......educational?

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I've historically not been a hostel gal but I think they've come a long way. We stayed nearby one in lake Louise and it seemed pretty nice. We had dinner there with Albertan ski girl.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Whitefish has the Whitefish Hostel and Hibernation House.

I'm a big fan of the "Hibe House" One of the best deals in the country and you'll meet some great people. I hear it can get a little rowdy but when we were there it wasn't a problem for us. Would be a good stop for a solo traveler.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I stayed at the JH hostel more recently than that, but it is still getting to be awhile....maybe 2009-ish. It was newly renovated then, with new mattresses and extensive bathroom renovation. I liked it a lot.

Wasn't there a message on epicski near the end that Skiing-in-Jackson (Stephen forget-his-last-name) had opened a bootfittting shop in the hostel basement? I hope they didn't get rid of the tuning bench to make room. There were a lot of strange, under-used rooms down there.

There were (probably still are) several large refrigerators down there for guests to use. One problem I ran into at Steep and Deep was that they opened the common areas a little late in the morning, given the pre-opening meet time for class. (But then, I'm slow and eat breakfast first instead of right before leaving. YMMV.)

It is not as super-cheap as it used to be, but still a bargain for slope-side. The luxury hotel next door probably costs ten times as much.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Alta Lodge used to have bunk rooms. Not what I would exactly call cheap but much cheaper than the regular lodging. Can be scary too.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Have not stayed in a ski dorm/bunk room since I was in my 20's. Considered it for part of the Aspen Gathering but went with an air b&b room instead.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I travel with @Mrs. 53 but technically I ski alone.... Because no one skis as slowly as I do, nor on the flat terrain that you would typically find me.

Does this ^^^ count as alone? :roflmao:

Kidding aside, WHEN I win the RENOUN I will be making a few unscheduled trips (I hope Betsy can join me :hug:)

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Full disclosure - I got a single room at the JH Hostel. https://www.thehostel.us/
Still a deal - $129 on a random night in January. Only $43 for a bunkroom spot.

Hotel Terra right next door is $279 -- actually a lot less than I expected -- but more than I would pay!

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Current Hibernation House offering. Note this INCLUDES YOUR LIFT TICKET:

Ski & Stay from $89
From just $89 per person/per night. Includes Hibernation House lodging, lift ticket, hot breakfast and hot tub access. Offer valid Sunday - Thursday nights with skiing Monday - Friday.

800-858-4152

*Holiday and Prime blackout dates apply: December 26, 2017 - January 1, 2018 and February 16-18, 2018. At least 2 Adult 2+ Day Tickets are required for purchase at time of booking. Based on double occupancy in the Hibernation House value hotel. Price is PER PERSON. Two night minimum stay is required. Based on availability and not valid with other promotions, offers or specials. Additional lodging options are available at varying prices. Taxes and fees not included.

Link: https://www.inntopia.travel/Ecomm/Listings/SupplierDetail/6473825/en-US/?supplierid=6588618

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Current Hibernation House offering. Note this INCLUDES YOUR LIFT TICKET:

Ski & Stay from $89
From just $89 per person/per night. Includes Hibernation House lodging, lift ticket, hot breakfast and hot tub access. Offer valid Sunday - Thursday nights with skiing Monday - Friday.

800-858-4152

*Holiday and Prime blackout dates apply: December 26, 2017 - January 1, 2018 and February 16-18, 2018. At least 2 Adult 2+ Day Tickets are required for purchase at time of booking. Based on double occupancy in the Hibernation House value hotel. Price is PER PERSON. Two night minimum stay is required. Based on availability and not valid with other promotions, offers or specials. Additional lodging options are available at varying prices. Taxes and fees not included.

Link: https://www.inntopia.travel/Ecomm/Listings/SupplierDetail/6473825/en-US/?supplierid=6588618
Wait...What? That is unheard of. I think Whitefish just made the list.

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
I've posted about this plenty of times before but I like staying solo at the Davison St Guest House in Mammoth. I always meet interesting people. Quite a few seem to connect in order to ski/ride together during the day. Bunk spots are $35-40. My routine is to wake up at 7, roll out of my bunk and go down to Stellar's for a coffee and breakfast burrito, cruise up to The Mill by 8, and into the afternoon till my legs are shot, returning to the car occasionally for snacks. When I'm wiped out I go back, shower, eat a pot pie and then walk down to Mammoth Brewery. Spend the evening talking with fellow guests and reading. good times.

http://www.mammoth-guest.com
http://www.stellarbrewnaturalcafe.com
http://mammothbrewingco.com

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
image.jpeg
Alta Lodge used to have bunk rooms. Not what I would exactly call cheap but much cheaper than the regular lodging. Can be scary too.
It gets real scary when you bring your own gang of revelers!
We took one of the 6-bunk dorm rooms at the Peruvian and proceeded to raise holy hell everywhere we went.
Those were such great times!
And we never were arrested :thumb:
But there was that night at Snowbird when we probably should have been.:decisions:

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
View attachment 30308
It gets real scary when you bring your own gang of revelers!
We took one of the 6-bunk dorm rooms at the Peruvian and proceeded to raise holy hell everywhere we went.
Those were such great times!
And we never were arrested :thumb:
But there was that night at Snowbird when we probably should have been.:decisions:

Judging by the quality/age of that photo, I would guess that group has far less hair now and what is left a much different color :duck:
I am of course joking because I have a work credential with a photo from 1984 and had a security guy this year try to deny my entry stating that was not me in the photo :roflmao:

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
upload_2017-9-27_7-57-4.png

Oh I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK
I work all night and I sleep all day
On Wednesdays I go shopping and have buttered scones with tea...

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
Back before telecommuting, I learned to really love solo travel. But those articles all sound like tips for how to ruin a nice solo vacation by forcing too much interaction with others. $50/night motel rooms in Redlands, Hesperia, or Fresno were great ways to ski Big Bear, Mountain High, China Peak, and Badger Pass on a budget. Otherwise pretty much just day trips when I've lived outside California.

Now that I get to telecommute, I find that I'm much more tolerant of extra socializing. But I'm enough of an introvert and have such fond memories of solo trips that I still enjoy them. I usually either won't drink or will limit myself to one when traveling solo, and that right there helps keep the costs down considerably. Another tip... bring a good book for meals and downtime.

Sponsor