• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Soldier Mountain, once owned by Bruce Willis, who donated the resort to a non profit, who later sold the Solder Mountain in 2015 for $149,000.00.
In this Mt Express article, dated February 2019, the owners describe some of the infrastructure that will need to be upgraded for the resort to be viable.

If you're trying to live out your dream of owning your own ski resort, you should check out this Craigslist listing

Ad with images:
Soldier 1.jpg soldier 2.jpg soldier 3 cat.jpg

INVESTMENT OPPORTUNITY: Soldier Mountain has it all: accessible terrain for families, cat skiing for the hardcore enthusiasts, side country with endless powder and an inviting lodge and bar. Soldier has skiing that rivals the biggest and best ski areas around, with small town friendliness and pricing.

There is ample opportunity for growth and expansion at Soldier Mountain for someone who wants to create a new and improved ski area. Otherwise, this is a turn key operation with no deferred maintenance or major problems. There are chances to make improvements like expand the cat skiing operation, install the existing lift that is available on the ground, create sustainability minded improvements, do a land swap to privatize the base area so overnight lodging can be provided and add snowmaking, among other possible upgrades. There are USFS approved plans for lift assisted downhill mountain biking and a maintenance shop.

MOUNTAIN STATISTICS: 1150 skiable acres, 36 trails, 1400 vertical drop, 2 chair lifts, 1 magic carpet, 2000 skiable cat ski acres accessed by a 12-seat enclosed snow cat with a yurt in the cat ski terrain. The base of the ski area is at 5750’, the top is 7200’ and the top of the cat ski area is 9500’. Soldier has a 10-year-old lodge with a bar, restaurant, retail, rental and tuning. There is a ski school, paid and volunteer ski patrol, a cat skiing operation, a yurt that sleeps 12.

LOCATION: Soldier Mountain is located 11 miles outside of Fairfield in southern Idaho in the Sawtooth National Forest. It draws its skier base from Boise to the west, Sun Valley and Idaho Falls to the east, Twin Falls and Utah to the south. Fairfield is the county seat in Camas County and is a town of about 400.

FINANCIAL INFORMATION: In depth financial and other information is available to serious buyers only, and is accessible after an NDA is signed.

PRICE AND TERMS: $800,000 for the turn key operation with all equipment included. Terms are cash. Soldier Mountain is on USFS land and has a long-term lease for both the inbounds operation and the cat skiing operation.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
That's less than two residence properties offered for sale less than 2 miles from my home.

And neither of them offer skiing! Bush whacking over snow is great fun though. I use both properties after a good snow fall ;-)

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Made a few runs with the McFarrens (the owners) last winter at Soldier Mt., really nice folks, he was telling me about the area being on the market in January. Some of the points he brought up about Soldier Mountain:
they have USFS permitting to put lifts all of the wah to the top of the cat skiing area, that would give you nearly 4,000' of vertical.
much of the piping and water rights are in place for expanded snow making. They will need this to be viable.
he claimed they had 2 offers in the wings for the ski area then.
they would love to be able to stay on as managers.

Personal observations of the area after skiing there 4 or 5 times last winter.
The expandability is mind boggling.
They don't charge enough for lift tickets (you don't hear that one very often) $13.00 for a senior lift ticket on a Sunday.
It is located in one of the prettiest valley's I have seen.
The drive, by the 2 different routes I used, was a piece of cake. Pretty much a slow grade from I-84 with 1 very low pass.
Their weather is pretty much like Sun Valley.
The closest town Fairfield? is a picturebook ranch town, housing would be cheap.
Really good terrain served from the lifts with nearly nobody their.
I could ski there as a home mountain and be very happy. There were no lines and good snow. Lots of aspects to choose from.

I suggested to them they consider syndicating the area. Sell 1,500 shares for $1,000.00 each and stay on as a salaried employee. Make season passes available to investors for $150. I would be a player. Anybody else?

Here are some pictures I took Dec 18 through February 19 with my cell phone. They are all weekend pics, check the crowds, note the parking lot. The last picture was take almost under the upper lift at about 2PM on a Sunday!

20190106_134907.jpg 20190106_113225 (1).jpg 20190106_113232.jpg 20190106_123310.jpg 20190106_125033.jpg

Attachments

• 20190106_113225 (1).jpg
    20190106_113225 (1).jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20190106_124807.jpg
    20190106_124807.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 20190106_113225 (1).jpg
    20190106_113225 (1).jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 14
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Made a few runs with the McFarrens (the owners) last winter at Soldier Mt., really nice folks, he was telling me about the area being on the market in January. Some of the points he brought up about Soldier Mountain:
they have USFS permitting to put lifts all of the wah to the top of the cat skiing area, that would give you nearly 4,000' of vertical.
much of the piping and water rights are in place for expanded snow making. They will need this to be viable.
he claimed they had 2 offers in the wings for the ski area then.
they would love to be able to stay on as managers.

Personal observations of the area after skiing there 4 or 5 times last winter.
The expandability is mind boggling.
They don't charge enough for lift tickets (you don't hear that one very often) $13.00 for a senior lift ticket on a Sunday.
It is located in one of the prettiest valley's I have seen.
The drive, by the 2 different routes I used, was a piece of cake. Pretty much a slow grade from I-84 with 1 very low pass.
Their weather is pretty much like Sun Valley.
The closest town Fairfield? is a picturebook ranch town, housing would be cheap.
Really good terrain served from the lifts with nearly nobody their.
I could ski there as a home mountain and be very happy. There were no lines and good snow. Lots of aspects to choose from.

I suggested to them they consider syndicating the area. Sell 1,500 shares for $1,000.00 each and stay on as a salaried employee. Make season passes available to investors for $150. I would be a player. Anybody else?

Here are some pictures I took Dec 18 through February 19 with my cell phone. They are all weekend pics, check the crowds, note the parking lot. The last picture was take almost under the upper lift at about 2PM on a Sunday!

View attachment 77643 View attachment 77644 View attachment 77645 View attachment 77646 View attachment 77648

I love your first hand report.
I'm jealous!

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
That's less than two residence properties offered for sale less than 2 miles from my home.

And neither of them offer skiing! Bush whacking over snow is great fun though. I use both properties after a good snow fall ;-)
It's less than my house... :eek:

James

Out There
Instructor
Maybe the Hermitage should buy it and use it as their “away” hill. That might get some memberships as opposed to skiing Haystack.

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
Never been but always hear good things from friends who have. One friend has been going Cat skiing there for years. If your timing is right it sounds good & affordable.
Hope something good happens before the evil imperialists get hold of it :popcorn:

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
Hmmm. Less than $200 a per member and Soldier mountain becomes Pugski mountain. Now, realistically I wonder how many are “active” members of Pugski. Get 800 members at $1000 each and Pugski owns a ski area. Lifetime pass for all owners. I’d do that.

That buys the mountain. Trick is setting and collecting annual "condo" fees.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Go 1500 shares at $1,000 apiece and you have some operating capital. I'm in only 999 more to go.

Sponsor

Staff online