• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Softshell Helmets Real or Hype?

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Reading about these "mulitple impact" helmets like the Giro Combyn........... lots of speculation but any feedback or real world info?

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmmm, I haven't heard of these yet. The only softshell helmets that I know of are worn by rugby players. :)

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
How does the hardness of the foam change with really cold temps?

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
MIPS is regards to directional impacts, it's EPP foam that has rebound capabilities in multi impact helmets where EPS is used in most helmets crushes on impact and has a significantly reduced effectiveness.

When comparing the foams, EPP does have mult Impact absorbtion properties and EPS doesn't. There is some discussion that EPS foam can handle a higher initial impacts at he cost of being effective only once. Where EPP can handle multiple impacts at the cost of possibly less effectiveness for a big single impact.

Big picture, helmet has to fit as that trumps foam type. The other debate is regarding lifespan of a helmet. Some say 5 years even if not in an impact.

TS
Yo Momma

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Here's another interesting video. It sounds like in addition to a change in the type of foam. It involves a system that pivots w/in the helmet and protects against oblique rotational forces to the brain.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
MIPS is the pivoting system only - you can get a MIPS helmet with EPS foam. I have serious reservations about this feature.

EPP is a different foam - the sort used in football helmets. Yes, it's multi-impact.

The "vinyl nitrile" Giro talk of in the Combyn is completely different from all that -it is a damping memory material- and also has the _potential_ to reflect incoming stress waves back out towards the shell. The concept has been known to work (with other foams) for about 20 years.

But what you're really asking about is Giro's shell material, and whether it has sufficiently improved deceleration/energy absorption for you (or anyone) to give up the piercing impact resistance of a hard shell. I don't know.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Not mutually exclusive at all - MIPS is just about having two layers, one inside the other, with frangible links between them.

And the proof is: that $600 carbon fiber helmet Giro shows on the upper left claims to have the combination of the two, in a new and improved way of course.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Big picture, helmet has to fit as that trumps foam type. The other debate is regarding lifespan of a helmet. Some say 5 years even if not in an impact.

Yeah, I can't go on the track with my motorcycle if my helmet is more than 5 years old. I think that's a general rule. Same with hockey helmets..and if you've ever kept a hockey helmet for 5 years and seen how hard the foam can get, you'd agree!! :D

TS
Yo Momma

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I remember the old hockey helmets w/ the cream colored foam that would turn multiple shades of yellow and crack like a dry desert landscape..... they barely lasted a year. Our snowmobile helmets even if Snell rated recommended replacement every few years.......... So none of the other helmets on the market (sub $600 OUCH!!) have both EPP foam and MIPS?

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
TS
Yo Momma

Yo Momma

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I was painfully confused and was asking about both MIPS and multi-impact, as I thought they were the same............ oops! According to what I've found thus far, there is only one multi-impact (Epp foam) + MIPS helmet.......... and it's $600 YIKES!!!!!!