• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

So...what do I wear to ski over a cast?

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
Had the bad luck of breaking my wrist about 3 weeks ago. At least one person on this forum said they have skied with a broken wrist, but I’m aware it’s not the best idea. If I end up skiing on it despite that, how do I keep my hand warm?

A brief google turned up wool sock as a last ditch option but I’m hoping I can get something warmer. Are big mittens realistic? Short forearm fiberglass cast.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I had my wife cut two mittens apart and combine them into one giant mitten added a LEKI tab to it as well. I also have skied with a towel around my cast and a generous wrap of duct tape.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
When I did my wrist took the elastic out of an XL leather mitt and used a bungee cord to keep it on.
That was in the days of plaster casts; they were good for about 10 days. Were also great for throwing 360's.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'd Duct tape the sock or oversized mitten over it. Could put a plastic bag on first- your wrist WILL Sweat but it will be warm.
Depending where the break is you may want to ski 1 pole or no poles.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
A touque will keep it warm. Ditch both poles.

Take a pole in with you. If you are nice enough to the nurses they will fit your cast to hold the pole.
PSA on this: casts won't hold up too long using this approach. You want to have good insurance.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I knew someone who broke his hand just before a ski trip (northern Michigan) and had the Crystal Mountain liftie give him a giant suede mitten to go over his cast. It was pretty effective.
*The lifties use these over their own glove or mitten on brutally cold days.

TS
A

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
Take a pole in with you. If you are nice enough to the nurses they will fit your cast to hold the pole.
PSA on this: casts won't hold up too long using this approach. You want to have good insurance.

Already have the cast and will hopefully be in a splint next week, so this solution is out but it was a good idea.

TS
A

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
I knew someone who broke his hand just before a ski trip (northern Michigan) and had the Crystal Mountain liftie give him a giant suede mitten to go over his cast. It was pretty effective.

Great suggestions!

Thanks all, let’s see what I can find. Sounds like big enough gloves exist and the taped hat is a decent backup.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Last edited:

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
A fleece neck gaiter and a neoprene overmitt (sort of a like a boot glove). This arrangement worked for my buddy with a cast who insisted on skiing. We also made him a custom pole with a much smaller handle he could hold with the cast.

TS
A

AngryAnalyst

Out on the slopes
Skier
My solution is a XL glove with a cut seam. Plan is to liberally duct tape it in there.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester

I want to know where they get these giant suede mittens. Sounds like a really great way to stay warm.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I want to know where they get these giant suede mittens. Sounds like a really great way to stay warm.
I think they said that a local person made them for the mountain ops people.
They were something like this but more simple and suede
424336689.jpg

This is what he did before he found the suede mitten.
Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 8.55.23 PM.png

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
When skiing over a cast, be sure to wear some protective head wear. Who ever is UNDER that cast is going to be some sort of pissed! ;-)

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January