• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

So, I talked to a guy about the weather...

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Small talk is easy for me, which is probably why I'm good at customer service and retail.
So, yesterday I was commenting how how awesome the weather is because the cool temps are making it easy for me to get inspired to get out and do some hiking and mountain biking.
This guy said, "yeah, but it sucks if you want to get on the lake."

The next guy I talked to was visiting Truckee from Sacramento. I said, "Wow, the weather is great out there. Maybe you can get a mt bike ride in or do some hiking. Let me know if you need some ideas about trails"
His reply was, "That's awesome, thanks. It beats the heat we've had in Sacramento. It was over 100º last week. I love coming up here. Glad it cooled down."

The point is, wether is about mindset, location and means.

I'm really enjoying our early summer months, even though its not officially summer yet.

What's the weather like where you are?
What are you doing to enjoy it?

AlpsSkidad

Buying more gear
Skier
During our kid's school year which goes until June 29, we live in a big city, and for now it's consistently between 70-80 degrees. The humidity is really high though, and we really don't like the humidity. On the weekends we try to get out of the city when possible and head up to the mountains or just the countryside. During the week, we do spend more time walking vs taking the metro, the bus or driving. I truly enjoy walking my girls to and from school everyday. It's probably only a mile each way.
That's absolutely one of my favorite things that I am able to do as a dad- walking with them, talking about their days, and discussing the different things we see around town as we walk. One day they will be too old to enjoy spending time with mom and dad....

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Over memorial day weekend, had a great time relaxing around NLake Tahoe. Weather couldn't have been better for light activities. Got introduced to the tennis/pickleball community. Playing tennis at altitude definitely was *not* normal, or maybe it was the borrowed racquet. Either way, I've got another learning curve ahead. :)

Returned to find the Bay Area hotter than Sacramento. Go figure. I'm really surprised at the 90+F days in May already, before official summer, much less August. Can't remember before running the house AC in May in the last twenty plus years.

Now that it's back to cool, it feels like late spring again. Looking forward to MTB and tennis this weekend and car camping next.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Powder Alert! :)
+6" above 4k in the Cascades this weekend!
Maybe it will give the fire s3ason a break this year.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
After a couple of weeks of nice weather, Tokyo entered the rainy season (officially) yesterday, and we're in for four to six weeks of highs in the 20-30C (70-85F) range with humidity at 70-80%, frequent drizzles and occasional downpours -- not to mention a typhoon brush-by now and then (including this weekend) until late October or so.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
It is all perspective, the weather is not perfect but as close as I know of right now.

Inland Northwest right now works very well. 50's at night, up to the low 80's most days. The lakes and rivers are still cold but a wetsuit will cure that. We get shots of rain after the storms cross the Cascades, but that is a good thing too.

Lots going on right now, hiking, biking, about anything you can do in a boat, perfect golf, some kind of event every week in all the surrounding towns, As Summer gets here some will slow down and some will accelerate.

My personal near future activity forecast involves involves doing some heavy yard work and home repairs on the house we just bought to get it ready and move in to. Then better go back to work to rest up and pay for those repairs.

James

Out There
Instructor
After a couple of weeks of nice weather, Tokyo entered the rainy season (officially) yesterday, and we're in for four to six weeks of highs in the 20-30C (70-85F) range with humidity at 70-80%, frequent drizzles and occasional downpours -- not to mention a typhoon brush-by now and then (including this weekend) until late October or so.
Blech. Who knew Tokyo was a cooler Houston?

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
If you ask me our weather is fabulous right now. In the low 70s and a high of 80 today with low humidity. The sun felt great while I was waiting for the shuttle at the train station. When it's like this I enjoy hiking, chilling on the hammock in the backyard and just being outside anyway I can. Others that are the full on summer lovers want it to be warmer. If it stayed like it is today all summer long I'd be tickled pink. Last summer we never even put the living room air conditioner in. By this time last year we had the bedroom one in but not yet. All I want to do today is be outside, it's sooo nice out.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Here in the coastal PNW we are known for rain and grey weather. We don't get more precipitation than lots of places, but it appears as drizzle, mist, light rain, etc., and only rarely does it come down hard, so it precipitates a lot in order to get to that 30-40" total for the year. This is the perception of many if not most that don't live here. Less well known is our summer weather, which is generally very dry with warm but not hot days, and cool nights. Lots of sun. It rarely gets to 90F, usually staying in the mid 70s to 80s.

Our summer drought has a down side in that all of the wet weather and mild temps during the rest of the year encourages growth which means that our forests are chock full of vegetable matter that can get tinder dry in late July through September and wildfires are a real problem. We just ended a long stretch of glorious May weather and are, thankfully, headed into some June gloom and rain. Things were beginning to dry out.

It's a bit of a local badge of honor to let your lawn go brown during the summer to save water. It will green up just fine as soon as the rains return in late September or October.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Its finally sunny again here in SoCal. Summer has started- school is out, and swimming is in. I love the long days!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
That's my favorite thing about this time of year I think is the long days. I love driving up to Vermont in April on a friday night while it's still light out. I love coming home this time of year and getting off the train and it's still light out. Really looking forward to our trip to Scotland next month where the temps will truly be to our liking. It's so wild when it's light out all the time. 2 summers ago we were in northern England and Wales and Dublin and we didn't see darkness for days because it was still light out when we went to sleep and it was light out when we woke up.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Who knew Tokyo was a cooler Houston?

Houston has a longer misery season, but mid-July to early-Sept it's pretty much the same in both.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Small talk is easy for me, which is probably why I'm good at customer service and retail.
So, yesterday I was commenting how how awesome the weather is because the cool temps are making it easy for me to get inspired to get out and do some hiking and mountain biking.
This guy said, "yeah, but it sucks if you want to get on the lake."

The next guy I talked to was visiting Truckee from Sacramento. I said, "Wow, the weather is great out there. Maybe you can get a mt bike ride in or do some hiking. Let me know if you need some ideas about trails"
His reply was, "That's awesome, thanks. It beats the heat we've had in Sacramento. It was over 100º last week. I love coming up here. Glad it cooled down."

The point is, wether is about mindset, location and means.

I'm really enjoying our early summer months, even though its not officially summer yet.

What's the weather like where you are?
What are you doing to enjoy it?

My weather preferences fall within a wide range:

1. Skiing weather, 15ºF to about 45ºF

2. Cycling weather (DRY), 50º to about 80º

Anything above 80º I dont like and of course 30's-40's with rain is about the worst. Below say 10ºF its just not as nice but doable.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here in Davis (near Sacramento), we get the heat, but we also get the Delta breeze. I've learned how to deal with the heat, and it's absolutely delicious when the breeze kicks in in the evening. Mornings are usually cool, so I do my bike rides in the morning, swim around noon, then settle in for some indoor activities until evening. During heat waves (when it doesn't cool down enough in the evenings), I head to the mountains or the coast.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Forecast for next 100 days here:
95-105F high with humidity 40-80%
20% chance of rain
Cloud cover 0-100%

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
The temperatures have been pleasant, in fact if it never got hotter I'd be in heaven. But the mosquitoes are the worst I can remember and the beargrass is really late this year. Last year it was in full, riotous, bloom at this time and this year there's barely a stalk showing. I leave next week for Denver where I've heard there's 90° days and it's interfering with my head about how to pack. I'm still in long pants, long sleeves, and a vest most of the time, with my electric blanket at night. We did have to mow.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Sponsor

Staff online