• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

So, how is my new metal knee working out?

TS
D

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
@Henry
Of course I have gotten all that advice too but that's not what I do.
In my near 60 year ski career I have been hurt far more often by bindings that released when I didn't want them too than by bindings that didn't release when I wanted them too.
I'm skiing better than before I got my metal knee and even though I'm trying I can't seem to slow down much.
Most runs I get into the 40's and at that speed I don't want dialed back bindings.
Luckily, the only time I fell last year I was standing still. (don't ask)
More luckily, nobody hit me which I consider a much bigger threat than me falling hard.
Not so luckily, one of my buddies was run down and killed at our little area.
If I have to take extreme evasive action, the last thing I want is dialed back bindings.
So, I will keep setting them for the speed I ski and my body weight because I think that is safer.
Having a friend killed on what was supposed to be a peaceful afternoon of skiing completely recalibrates your risk meter.

Ventura

Booting up
Skier
@Henry
In my near 60 year ski career I have been hurt far more often by bindings that released when I didn't want them too than by bindings that didn't release when I wanted them too.
I'm skiing better than before I got my metal knee and even though I'm trying I can't seem to slow down much.
Most runs I get into the 40's and at that speed I don't want dialed back bindings.
More luckily, nobody hit me which I consider a much bigger threat than me falling hard.
If I have to take extreme evasive action, the last thing I want is dialed back bindings.
So, I will keep setting them for the speed I ski and my body weight because I think that is safer.
Having a friend killed on what was supposed to be a peaceful afternoon of skiing completely recalibrates your risk meter.

Nice to see a TKR working well for someone. I'm not there (yet), but this week I'll see what is to be done for my detached ACL and badly torn meniscus. No bumps nor deep powder, but skiing and even racing in a brace is OK. Are you skiing in a brace now? Your ACL detached? I'm thinking that's the SOP for most knee implants.

Interestingly, I was an engineer with a key supplier to Smith+Nephew when the 'Oxinium' material knees were developed. Depending on what model (Legion?) knee you have, it could be made from this revolutionary oxidized zirconium. Zirconium is commonly used in the nuclear industry as it won't absorb neutrons. Makes a good fuel rod sheath, and also a hell of a knee. S+N takes the knee to a mirror polish then processes it in a special oxidizing furnace. The knee looks like black glass because of the oxidized, ceramic-like layer. That layer isn't a coating, it's a conversion of the parent material. These knees last longer than anything else on the market, IMHO. Revision surgery is a huge PITA, but there's a high probability that this particular knee will outlast you.

legion_tks_520x300.jpg

TS
D

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
I have the Legion knee joint which was chosen by my surgeon because of my active lifestyle.
No ACL.
No brace.
At my two year checkup there were no visible signs of wear whatsoever.
I worked in the ceramics industry for a while and think the Oxinium material is great tech.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
I had my left total knee replacement on Monday 2/8/21. It was done at Mary Washington Hospital Fredericksburg Virginia. Surgeon is an intermediate skier. He says he is the only one in the area (Fredericksburg VA) that does robotic assisted. I was discharged the same day. Pain is less than I expected. I had 88% range of motion 4 days later Friday 2/12 following surgery. I had to back off of PT a bit as my incision would not stop bleeding. Surgeon said it was okay. Bleeding finally stopped on Sunday 2/14. Have been using a walker and am starting to walk without it starting 2/16/21. Quite a lot of swelling that can be expected. I am glad that I had this done. My right knee will be done in a couple of months. Thanks to all who provided information so I was not a total novice going into this. I will post again as my healing progresses.
IMG_20210219_071512233.jpg

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
I had my left total knee replacement on Monday 2/8/21. It was done at Mary Washington Hospital Fredericksburg Virginia. Surgeon is an intermediate skier. He says he is the only one in the area (Fredericksburg VA) that does robotic assisted. I was discharged the same day. Pain is less than I expected. I had 88% range of motion 4 days later Friday 2/12 following surgery. I had to back off of PT a bit as my incision would not stop bleeding. Surgeon said it was okay. Bleeding finally stopped on Sunday 2/14. Have been using a walker and am starting to walk without it starting 2/16/21. Quite a lot of swelling that can be expected. I am glad that I had this done. My right knee will be done in a couple of months. Thanks to all who provided information so I was not a total novice going into this. I will post again as my healing progresses.
View attachment 124976
Picture is 11 days post op.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
@Henry
I agree. Pre-release can be worse than no release in regards to causing injury.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
I am now 28 days post op and all is going well. Swelling is dropping. I was 113 flex in the knee at PT yesterday 3/1/2021. The small swelling spot at the end of the scar is an old birth mark that always was puffy. It is just more puffy after the surgery. For me the pain has been less than I expected. I need to get my other knee done as soon as possible. It is also bone on bone and likes to grind hard keeping me from doing some PT exercises. It should hold up long enough for me to rehab my left knee.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
Surgery was 2/8/2021. I am now 36 days post op. Had post op appointment with my Surgeon. He is very impressed with my recovery. Much less swelling and pain. Improving range of motion at 128 degrees bent knee. Also am 100% straight on my surgical leg. Recovery is better than I expected. I will have my right knee done early July. So far, so good.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Improving range of motion at 128 degrees bent knee. Also am 100% straight on my surgical leg.

These are seriously good numbers at just over a month out.

Good to hear!

Sponsor

Staff online