• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

So a hot-dogger and a park rat ski together....

ErikL

AKA Bro12
Skier
I was skiing with a buddy today and I commented how we have such different skiing styles. He's more of a terrain park/Candide Thovex style skier, and I'm basically the opposite. I mentioned how moguls are so much fun and that I actively seek them out, so he dubbed me a hot dogger.

I have another ski buddy, and I had to tell him that his hood goes outside his helmet, not inside it....

Does anyone else ski with buddies who have a different skiing style from your own? Let's hear some stories!

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Well park rat and Candide thovex do not go together. candide can actually ski, most park rats can not. :P

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

kimmyt

My Rack Is Bigger Than Yours
Skier
I guess this makes me realize that my skiing buddies are typically similar skiers to me. I could probably do a bit of broadening my horizons, but then if we're skiing together we will generally want to ski the same stuff and have a similar style. I guess maybe @dean_spirito could be loosely termed a 'park rat' but then he is also a fantastic skier and instructor and I count myself lucky on the few days I get to ski with him.

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
For some reason I end up skiing with snowboarders a lot, must be because of where I work. But when I ski with skiers I typically ski with people who like the same type of terrain as I do. But thats where it ends. Most of my ski buddies are into finesse, where as I want the adrenaline of charging. When I worked and skied at Squaw, it was a different story. I skied with people who skied like I do.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
you guys are forgetting the difference between most and not all.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Ya, I saw an 18 year old freedogger/park rat beat the local ski school director, the NASTAR pace setter, AND a pro tour racer in the end of season GS challenge race many moons ago. That guy was the best bump skier I ever saw. Full disclosure, warm, slushy conditions and there was plenty of alcohol flowing that day giving the edge to the guy that wasn't old enough to drink, but he won fair and square.... with some damned good skiing.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh, I expected a joke when I clicked in this thread.

James

Out There
Instructor
So a hot-dogger and a park rat ski together....
To a barbecue where the park rat...
--------------------------

2ea4554a800025d59fa6aae54db384ff.jpg

Park Rats Don't Ski! (no time)

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Ya, I saw an 18 year old freedogger/park rat beat the local ski school director, the NASTAR pace setter, AND a pro tour racer in the end of season GS challenge race many moons ago. That guy was the best bump skier I ever saw. Full disclosure, warm, slushy conditions and there was plenty of alcohol flowing that day giving the edge to the guy that wasn't old enough to drink, but he won fair and square.... with some damned good skiing.

so but my guess is the local talent is not to talented.

JsNeagle is actually a really good skier but he would be hard pressed to actually win the local ski bum race.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I guess this makes me realize that my skiing buddies are typically similar skiers to me. I could probably do a bit of broadening my horizons, but then if we're skiing together we will generally want to ski the same stuff and have a similar style. I guess maybe @dean_spirito could be loosely termed a 'park rat' but then he is also a fantastic skier and instructor and I count myself lucky on the few days I get to ski with him.
This!
Especially when we have a group together like May at A-bay. Everyone has someone to ski with on terrain that they like to ski, at a pace they like to ski. Even @dean_spirito found some folks to help him attempt to slay the Molly Hogan.

JsNeagle

Skiing's easier if you're in the air
Industry Insider
JsNeagle is actually a really good skier but he would be hard pressed to actually win the local ski bum race.

Yeah part rat vs ex-pro world cup racer is an interesting match up. But @Josh Matta are you saying I should come out of ski bum race retirement??

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
If we start ski bum racing it might start snowing.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
so but my guess is the local talent is not to talented.

Or the freedogger was the ussa u18 national bump and all around freestyle champion, local talent.. Same place Lindsey Vonn learned.to ski. Ya, no local talent.

Sponsor

Staff online