• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Snowsports Industries America Relocates To Park City, Utah

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Snow Industry’s Member Owned Trade Association Heads for the Mountains

MCLEAN, VA (June 9, 2016)SnowSports Industries America (SIA) announces today that Park City, Utah will be the location of its future headquarters office. The relocation will bring the organization to one of North America’s snow sports hubs and within proximity of many likeminded organizations and partner businesses.

The final location selection decision was made after a unanimous vote of approval at SIA’s May Board of Directors Meeting and an approval from the Utah Governor’s Office of Economic Development (GOED) for a post-performance Industrial Assistance Fund (IAF) grant.

“This relocation is a necessary step to keep SIA at the core of our industry and is a strong indicator of the direction we are taking with the organization’s future,” said SIA President Nick Sargent. “This move allows us the ability to be closer to our members and other industry stakeholders, while leveraging the synergies found in a snow sports community to develop new programs and strategies for positive industry growth. In addition to these significant business benefits, having the opportunity to ski and ride the Greatest Snow On Earth is a nice perk.”

The move is slated to take place in August, with a small segment of the organization’s employees relocating.

In a nod to the solid foundation built by 40 years in the current location, Bob Gundram, chair of SIA’s Board of Directors, and CEO of C3, notes “the organization and industry as a whole would not be where it is today without the dedication and hard work of the current and former staff, who built the roots that will inevitably guide a positive future for SIA and the business of snow sports. Our gratitude is immeasurable.”

SIA looks forward to joining member organizations like Armada Skis, POC, Rossignol, Amer Sports and partner organizations like the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association in Park City, which has emerged as a leader in the outdoor recreation industry.

A move west also allows SIA the ability to further strengthen its relationship with the state of Colorado where the annual SIA Snow Show is held. SIA looks forward to a continued close relationship with Colorado, where new platforms for industry education and growth will be built in support of the Show.

The specific Park City office location is currently under review and will be announced in the coming weeks.

- SIA -

About SIA
Celebrating its 60th anniversary in 2014, SnowSports Industries America (SIA) is a non-profit trade association with a long history of working to support the snow sports industry. SIA works year-round with snow sports suppliers, retailers, resorts, reps and service providers to develop products and programs for their individual and collective businesses all with the mission of growing participation, participants and retail sales. Member-owned and industry-inspired, SIA also produces the largest trade show globally exclusive to snow and offers targeted insight, trends, and data through its research.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Nick Sargent, when the dust settle, we would love to hear more about this big move.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well that makes sense. Why were they in Virginia?

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Cuz that's, like, ground zero for trade associations.
Yeah, near Capitol Hill and all. And about four miles from my house. My son went there once to drop off his resume in case they had an opening for a summer job. No luck. It was a really small office with only about a half dozen people physically on site IIRC.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm not surprised. I would have actually thought of Ogden first but Park City makes sense.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Good location, but I wish it was in Denver.
I agree, it makes sense. I would like to see the show move to Salt Lake City at some point too. I think there is another 2-5 years left in Denver with their contract but having the show in SLC with the skiing at a much closer proximity would work well. I do hear the hotel/lodging can be an issue in SLC though.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I agree, it makes sense. I would like to see the show move to Salt Lake City at some point too. I think there is another 2-5 years left in Denver with their contract but having the show in SLC with the skiing at a much closer proximity would work well. I do hear the hotel/lodging can be an issue in SLC though.
I heard some rumblings about the show going back to Las Vegas to revisit the hay day of the event, but I don't see much of an advantage to doing that with all the amazing locations that are close to snow, which is what the show is all about.

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
hmmm, would not have thought SLC would have lodging issues. Getting from the trade show to the on the snow demo days would be much easier than Denver to Copper, yes?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Hmmmm, more job options? Although, an hour commute would not be fun, but...

Tyson's Corner (which is where they were) is not that bad so long as you're in an office building and not trying to shop retail - 30 minutes-ish to most NoVA and quite a lot of MD. It's the mall locations that are the nightmare. Mind you, it is going to get worse as they implement the walkable urban community: http://wtop.com/fairfax-county/2016/06/wrecking-ball-coming-to-13-story-building-in-tysons/

By way of comparison, Helicopter Association International has an apparently central location but one is guaranteed to sit in traffic trying to get anywhere, including the airport that's less than 2 miles away, and very much including Capitol Hill.

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Tyson's Corner (which is where they were) is not that bad so long as you're in an office building and not trying to shop retail - 30 minutes-ish to most NoVA and quite a lot of MD. It's the mall locations that are the nightmare. Mind you, it is going to get worse as they implement the walkable urban community: http://wtop.com/fairfax-county/2016/06/wrecking-ball-coming-to-13-story-building-in-tysons/

By way of comparison, Helicopter Association International has an apparently central location but one is guaranteed to sit in traffic trying to get anywhere, including the airport that's less than 2 miles away, and very much including Capitol Hill.

Having flashbacks to living in Manassas and commuting to Dulles. You couldn't plan at all - sometimes it would take half an hour to get home, sometimes 2 hours.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm familiar with that area, too! And when I lived there, metro didn't go very far west, either. We lived in Sterling and getting into town was by car, car, or car.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
One year later. SIA made the move, we did a story on it, and now they've merged with OR. Big year for SIA!

Sponsor

Staff online