• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Snowmobiler Strikes Iditarod team, kills dog, injures others.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
From USAToday...
One sled dog was killed and three others injured while competing in the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Raceearly Saturday morning when a man on a snowmobile purposely drove into two dog teams.

Mushers Aliy Zirkle and Jeff King were attacked in two separate incidents outside the village of Nulato, a community of 236 on the Yukon River a little more than halfway into the 1,000-mile race to Nome.

"The suspect has been identified by the village police officer in Nulato, and authorities are conducting an investigation," according to a statement from the Iditarod Trail Committee. A motive for the attack is not clear.

King's sled received the worst of the attacks. According to the Iditarod release the crash resulted in the death of Nash, a three-year-old male dog.

"In addition, Crosby, a three-year-old male, and Banjo, a two-year-old male, received non-life threatening injuries. King requested and received medical attention at the checkpoint," the release stated.

One dog on Zirkle's team was bruised in the separate incident. Officials described the injury as non-life-threatening.

However, both sleds were affected.

"Regrettably, this incident very much alters the race of the two mushers competing for a win; however, both are going to continue on their way toward Nome," the released stated.

Race marshal Mark Nordman told the Associated Press on Saturday that Zirkle, 46, who finished second three times from 2012-2014, was mushing from Kokukuk (KOY’-yoo-kuk) to Nulato, a run of less than 20 miles on the Yukon River, when she was hit.

The snowmobile hit the side of Zirkle’s sled at 5 miles out of Koyukuk, turned around multiple times and came back at her before driving off, Alaska State Troopersspokeswoman Megan Peters told the AP by email.

The snowmobile reappeared 12 miles out of Nulato. He revved up and was pointed at Zirkle before leaving, Peters said.

King, a four-time Iditarod champion, was behind Zirkle.

When King reached the vicinity, he was struck from behind by the snowmobile, when his dogs were hit.

A statement on the Iditarod Trail Committee website made clear the villagers of Nulato were not to blame for the incident.

"This is just one bad person," the statement said. "The people of Nulato have given the mushers a VERY warm welcome, this year and in years past. The local people here are equally devastated by what happened."

Zirkle left Nulato with 14 dogs at 6:16 a.m., after dropping one dog in the village. She was in third place.

The race leader is former champion Mitch Seavey, who reached Kaltag at 7:41 a.m.

Brent Sass was running second. He left Nulato at 3:43 a.m.

Reigning champ Dallas Seavey, the son of Mitch Seavey, was in fourth place. He left Nulato at 7:14 a.m.

The Associated Press contributed to this report

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
WTF.

RIP Nash. I know King likely has a different relationship with his dogs than you would with a pet, but I can't imagine how upset I'd be if it were my dog.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I saw this earlier today, and yeah, wtf?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
A guy I went to high school with owns a snow mobile shop, loves Trumo, denies climate change rolls coal, and hates environmentalists. He doesn't drunk, but I can totally imagine some of his friends doing something like this.

King Of Cooper

Getting on the lift
Skier
A guy I went to high school with owns a snow mobile shop, loves Trumo, denies climate change rolls coal, and hates environmentalists. He doesn't drunk, but I can totally imagine some of his friends doing something like this.
Trump,Alaska , Snowmobile Shop, Yeah I am buying into that , GMAFB!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Oh so you know him? Do you roll coal too?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
A follow up from the LA Times. 80MPH fly-by? Sorry, I don't beleive it.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Attacker doesn't remember the collisions but knows he went back after them to make sure the driver was okay. Hmmmmm.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Attacker doesn't remember the collisions but knows he went back after them to make sure the driver was okay. Hmmmmm.

Sled mushers said he went back to hit them again and again..

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
A little background on Sled Heads (hard core snowmobilers). Many of them are very vocal about objecting to the restrictions placed on their access that aren't placed on skier and hiker access to national parks and forests. The folks I know are borderline hostile about it..constantly ranting about how unfair it is that they can't legally ride their sleds in the best terrain others hike and ski in. My main guess here is that with there being hardly any snow there, and having to have had snow trucked in to even hold the event that terrain is not open to snowmobiles right now, but it is the only place there with sufficient snow to ride. Drunk guy got pissed off and blasted through there anyway. Why he hit actually hit the dogs and allegedly tried to also hit the people is a mystery though.. drunken rage or total accidents, at least twice remains to be seen.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Speehcless.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Yep, crgildart, I wasn't clear. What I read was ...

Attacked first team 5 miles from Koyukuk (in an alcoholic blackout).

3 miles later, approached same team again but did not attack (wanted to make sure the driver was ok).

Shortly after this, attacked 2nd team.

My "hmmmm" ... I don't buy his story about blacking out. And no matter what one's position is about dog sled races, land usage, etc, the dogs are innocent.

James

Out There
Instructor
Well everyone's got a Billy somewhere.

image.jpg

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
The dumbass is lucky he didn't get shot. Adults acting like spoiled children with life threatening results.

King Of Cooper

Getting on the lift
Skier
If you Click on the Chez Ziggy
Chez Ziggy
Come in, relax, and chat about whatever is on your mind (as long as it is not politics or hot topics). Oh, and if you don't like dog hair on your clothes, stay off the furniture

Funny how the Progressives, follow the rules. Save your Sanctimonious Political Babble for your FaceBook Fan Club. If it makes you feel better, I Drive a Prius, the only rolling we do involves Zig Zags!

Sponsor

Staff online