• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado Snowmass crowds Presidents weekend

sbooker

Getting on the lift
Skier
I’ve been to Aspen over New Year and there were no crowds whatsoever - and it was a good start to the season snow wise.
Was anyone in Aspen/Snowmass this year on Presidents Day? Was it crowded?
I’m researching for next year.
Thanks.

lone pine

Getting on the lift
Skier
I was there last Friday 2/15 and can report it was not crowded, even though a lot of people had checked in to our hotel the day before. Snowmass is so vast, it's hard to envision a crowd issue.

Unrelated to your initial query, hundreds of people were unable to arrive at ASE on Saturday 2/16 due to the airport being closed for poor visibility due to snow squalls. So you can always hope for that next year as well, provided you fly to EGE or DEN...

GSG43

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I think the snow that hit at President's Day weekend stopped a lot of flights into Aspen. I was at Highlands (didn't make it to Snowmass) but I don't think anything was that crowded. And as the previous poster noted, Snowmass is pretty big

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
I teach at Snowmass. It was busier than normal. However, I would not use the word “crowded”. Certainly, not crowded by Vail Resort standards.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
And, the snow at all four mountains has been pretty amazing. Certainly compared to last year's quite "brown" winter.
Our daughter mentioned to me in text today that it seems like she has cleared at least 3-4" of snow off her car almost every morning of February. Good problem to have!

In a lot of this crowd discussion, regardless of where, we seem to be neglecting the snow that we have been seeing, including a string early winter in so many places. Just my opinion, East, West, Rockies. Family and friends all over the place, with a very different winter going on.

24 feet in February, thus far, at Mammoth? It feels and skis like a much different and better winter than a year ago. All over the place.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
I can pretty much guarantee you will have a better experience than if you were at a Vail property, at least in terms of crowding. Who knows about the snow conditions? Although we are relatively snow sure at that point in the season.

Mike

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
On a powder day in Aspen all the Bros. go to Highlands or Aspen Mtn so if you go to Snowmass on those days and ski the right or left boundary, you will get untracked until noon. Or go to Buttermilk and ski the wide, easy blacks off the Tiehack (sp?) lift at Buttermilk and ski untracked pow ALL day.

Reactions: RJS
TS
S

sbooker

Getting on the lift
Skier
@Mike King and @Nancy Hummel
I’m planning on taking a never ever and very beginner skier and snowboarder to Snowmass next February.
The 3 day beginners lesson package sounds good at $595 including rental and lift. Just wondering if in the three days they progress enough will the ‘students’ be given the chance to ride lifts that will give them an appreciation of the scenery at Snowmass? Or will they stick to the one gondola that goes up to Elk Camp?

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
I’m planning on taking a never ever and very beginner skier and snowboarder to Snowmass next February.
The 3 day beginners lesson package sounds good at $595 including rental and lift. Just wondering if in the three days they progress enough will the ‘students’ be given the chance to ride lifts that will give them an appreciation of the scenery at Snowmass? Or will they stick to the one gondola that goes up to Elk Camp?
It depends on their progress, but the common progression is to work in the Meadows at Elk Camp until the student has a good ability to release the skis and turn. The next stop is to ride the Gondola to the base, and ride the Assay Hill lift. That usually takes 5-6 runs, then ski to the Village Express and ride to the mid-station and ski Dawdler.

I'd say that it would be uncommon to make it much beyond Dawdler in 3 days, although it is possible. The next run after that would be riding the Gondola and skiing Funnel Bypass. After that, it is off to blues.

Mike

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter

I agree with Mike. The scenery from the gondola and at Elk Camp is a treat for me every time I ride it. The fenced in Meadows area with a chairlift and two magic carpets make it a great area for newer skiers and riders. The rental shop is at the top of the gondola allowing for easy equipment swaps and storage. I may be biased but I think the whole beginner area at Snowmass is fabulous.

TS
S

sbooker

Getting on the lift
Skier
Thanks.
I will have another couple with me who are (about 12 days ever) intermediates that have only skied a very small hill in Australia and another very small hill in NZ.
They have decent control, can parallel turn and stop when they want to.
I really want them to be blown away by their first ‘big mountain’ experience. And I think Snowmass will do that.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
I'm pretty sure they will. If they are ok on blue runs, make sure to go to the top of the Elk Camp chair -- it is the chair that goes up from the top of the gondola. From there you can step up 10 meters to see a spectacular view of the Maroon Bells.

Mike

LowPressureKarl

Putting on skis
Skier
I’ve been to Aspen over New Year and there were no crowds whatsoever - and it was a good start to the season snow wise.
Was anyone in Aspen/Snowmass this year on Presidents Day? Was it crowded?
I’m researching for next year.
Thanks.

I live in Snowmass Village and skied everyday this past holiday weekend. I never waited in any lines, but I also avoid certain lifts at prime time.

Elk Camp and Alpine Spring’s can have lines, at times. Always take Sheer Bliss over Big Burn.
Avoid the VX around 10. Lots of classes and tons of little kid, cause it to stop frequently.
If I have to arrive then, I park at the Divid lot and ski to Campground Lift.
Camp Ground, Sams Nob and Coney Glade never have lines.

TS
S

sbooker

Getting on the lift
Skier
I live in Snowmass Village and skied everyday this past holiday weekend. I never waited in any lines, but I also avoid certain lifts at prime time.

Elk Camp and Alpine Spring’s can have lines, at times. Always take Sheer Bliss over Big Burn.
Avoid the VX around 10. Lots of classes and tons of little kid, cause it to stop frequently.
If I have to arrive then, I park at the Divid lot and ski to Campground Lift.
Camp Ground, Sams Nob and Coney Glade never have lines.

Thanks. Great info.

Black Dog

Its all downhill from here..
Skier
Heading out there next week. Do they do black groomers out there? Aspen or Highlands?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Heading out there next week. Do they do black groomers out there? Aspen or Highlands?
There are a just a few I know of, though it may vary - some of them aren't always groomed.

Aspen mountain - Northstar and Aztec are sometimes groomed

Aspen Highlands - usually just Face of Oly

Snowmass - Slot is usually groomed, and one of the runs around the high alpine lift - The Edge I think.

Some of the locals may know more... @Nancy Hummel or @Mike King ?

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
There are a just a few I know of, though it may vary - some of them aren't always groomed.

Aspen mountain - Northstar and Aztec are sometimes groomed

Aspen Highlands - usually just Face of Oly

Snowmass - Slot is usually groomed, and one of the runs around the high alpine lift - The Edge I think.

Some of the locals may know more... @Nancy Hummel or @Mike King ?
That's right. One of the campground runs is often groomed too.

Nancy Hummel

Ski more, talk less.
Instructor
SkiTalk Supporter
Snowmass varies which runs they groom.

The Edge is often groomed.

Not sure about Aspen.

Be bold -take a bump lesson.