• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah Snowbird's quiet purchase of land at base of LCC

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Anything is better than flying in, staying up too late, skiing at 14,000 feet, and at the end of the day taking the bus to the park and ride to wait for your ride without any food or water. Maybe they will have a soda machine. That would be cool.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've done similar treks from airports into downtown, lugging bags onto a subway train (Atlanta and Wash DC come to mind).
DCA Airport to DC metro to family is a regular thing for me. Both my Dad and sister in law live 5 min walk from metro stations. It's alot easier and cheaper than car rental and navigating an unfamiliar city. Or in my case a familiar city.

SLC Airport to trax to gondi.. or whatever . It may not be what tourists are used to. But if the transit links are put in probably will be easier than renting a car and driving. But I expect the resort shuttles will continue to operate.

After further consideration ... I would think a gondi adds alot of value to people staying up canyon. Put in some primo restaurants and bars in the gondi base and it becomes an extended base lodge. Maybe put in a nice hotel in the gondi base too. Be crazy not to.

Last edited:

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Gondis are in general not the solution to transportation needs. They work in Europe for access from valley base stations but even then intent is usually that there will be a WROD to ski back down. The only place I can think offhand that a gondi duplicates a road is Verbier but even then the gondi runs straight thru to higher moubtain ski access and provides a ski link to Bruson.

If a LCC gondi project goes ahead remember it's not about skiers - it's about year round tourism & casual visitation.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
After further consideration ... I would think a gondi adds alot of value to people staying up canyon. Put in some primo restaurants and bars in the gondi base and it becomes an extended base lodge. Maybe put in a nice hotel in the gondi base too. Be crazy not to.

Got to be careful if you are competing with a real life city on your doorstep with thousands of viable cheaper options than your ersatz mountain village vibe. If the reality is you are 25mins ride from the place where you walk to to take your first ski lift you aren't really a resort. Having said that doesn't seem to hurt the Westin at the Beav (Avon) too badly but then Avon is more of a resort town than a full serve community anyway.

I think places like Revy have struggled a lot more with establishing a real base village premium feel.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Got to be careful if you are competing with a real life city on your doorstep with thousands of viable cheaper options than your ersatz mountain village vibe. If the reality is you are 25mins ride from the place where you walk to to take your first ski lift you aren't really a resort. Having said that doesn't seem to hurt the Westin at the Beav (Avon) too badly but then Avon is more of a resort town than a full serve community anyway.

I think places like Revy have struggled a lot more with establishing a real base village premium feel.
There really aren't many resturants / hotels at the LCC mouth area. I think zoning may be residential.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Snowbird hasn't had good luck with tram cars recently. Maybe they should order an extra one.

ss20

Enjoying this dance with gravity
Skier
A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Gondis are in general not the solution to transportation needs. They work in Europe for access from valley base stations but even then intent is usually that there will be a WROD to ski back down. The only place I can think offhand that a gondi duplicates a road is Verbier but even then the gondi runs straight thru to higher moubtain ski access and provides a ski link to Bruson.

If a LCC gondi project goes ahead remember it's not about skiers - it's about year round tourism & casual visitation.

I disagree on both points. The modern 3S technology has enough capacity and reliability to provide reliable transportation in many medium sized cities as a supplement to their existing (limited) mass transit. Mostly in South and Central America. Dopp and Poma both see this as their main source of revenue in the future. It can surely "work" for a LCC transit solution.

Second I've heard the argument it would boost tourism. I don't see it. The core tourism demographic Utah attracts is outdoor recreators. People who come to hike/bike/ski our mountains rather than take a sightseeing gondola. Snowbird runs Peruvian and the Tram in the summer. That's more than enough supply for the current sightseeing/chairlift demand in the canyon. Alta does not run any sightseeing lift ops (but to be fair they have the summer road and running a sightseeing lift wouldn't really be their MO).

In the eyes of transparency, I am anti-road expansion, anti-gondola. I made 140 round trips in LCC last season. Of those 280 one-way excursions, I'd say 80% were under 30 minutes in the canyon. 15% were 30-60 minutes. There were very few hour+ one-ways, longest being a 2.5hr downhill in late December. I'm fine with those numbers. I'd rather keep the powder fresher and the access continues to be challenging than add thousands of more people on the hill on the weather-challenged days when the snow is the best.

I don't think so drastic changes need to be made. Parking reservations made a huge help.

My incremental plan would be-
-eliminate all free parking at Snowbird on weekends
-return of the Alta Express bus
-traffic lights at Snowbird Entry 1 and 2 (picture the freeway traffic lights that limit on-ramp traffic at peak times).
-UTA ski bus has to be free or significantly cheaper ($5 per way, per person, is not sustainable for a family of 4+).
-enforced ticketing of traction law on snow days. No reason this can't happen when we're all parked waiting to go up the canyon in the AM during avi control work.

In the event that still isn't enough (I believe it would be), there is still no reason for LCC to be a 4 lane highway. 3 lanes with the center lane being reversible going uphill in the AM and downhill in the PM would be more than enough capacity at a fraction of the cost as 4 lanes given 30%ish of the canyon is already 3 lanes.

Sponsor

Staff online