• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Snowbird or Aspen/ Snowmass end of March?

Codger

Booting up
Skier
which is a safer bet for good coverage and perhaps less slush ? Ease of access to snowbird/alta vs altitude aspen/snowmass. Availability of less than extreme or double black terrain?

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
which is a safer bet for good coverage and perhaps less slush ? Ease of access to snowbird/alta vs altitude aspen/snowmass. Availability of less than extreme or double black terrain?

Snowbird is only like 200 feet lower than Snowmass, so the elevation difference isn't really meaningful - though I do suppose Snowmass has more terrain higher up. And I'd bet coverage will be very good at both, though Snowbird is better known for late season snows.

Still, I'd think slushiness is entirely dependent on local weather the days you are there, which is awfully tough to predict right now. Looking at long-ish range forecasts, Snowmass looks to have highs in the 40's the end of the month, and lows in the high 20's. Snowbird seems to be the same.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
the salt lake city trip is going to be much less expensive to arrange lodging and flights especially on relatively short notice; unless you have some kind of hookup.
So if things are not perfect you won't be as frustrated with the expenditure.

do a quick travel search, flights and lodging will likely both be 2x slc. So your cost per day of skiing in aspen will be at least 2x.

Last edited:

Nathanvg

Out on the slopes
Skier
Both are good options. Both will have good coverage including expert runs. Mineral basin at snowbird has high slush odds but everything else is likely to be fine. Snowmass and highlands have summits much higher than snowbird so the odds of avoiding slush are a little better. Aspen has less traffic which lowers slush odds too. But overall they are pretty similar. Choose 1 and have fun.

Reactions: RJS

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

I vote for Aspen/Snowmass

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Snowmass is mostly north facing. Snowbird you can work all day, Mineral Basin in the morning and front side all afternoon. Like Raytseng mentioned, SLC is going to be cheaper and more accessible than Aspen, and not by just a few $$.

And what's wrong with slush?

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Accessibility at the bird is a good news bad news situation. Go to aspen.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
whats wrong with slush?

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m going to be at Snowbird over Easter. There’s a 150” base right now. There’s a small chance it’ll be winter conditions, and a larger chance it’ll be spring skiing. Either way, it’s gonna be awesome.

For late March, this year, either should be great, although what you get is really dependent on the weather on he days ours there.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Late season usually has some relatively affordable options in Snowmass.

Mike

This... Just based on some deals I've seen in the past and what some friends have paid, I'd think you can stay slopeside in Snowmass for under what it costs at Snowbird.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
All things equal in terms of time travel and cost My choice would be Aspen > Snowbird for Spring. Considering the town as well.

Sponsor

Staff online

• dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid