• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah Snowbird Alta Advice

musicmatters

Getting on the lift
Skier
I’ve been skiing PC/DV for the past 30 years and know the mountains fairly extensively. I have never ventured over to the Cottonwoods and I’ll like to. I like the fact that I know PC/DV so well that I know what runs ski well in the AM, afternoon, and just general ways to make the most out of the Moutain. I’m looking for some recommendations to what runs are similar to the ones I like at PC/DV

I’m an Intermediate/Advanced that likes to ski generally fast. Nothing extreme or anything with deep moguls from top to bottom. My favorite runs at DV are all the Blue runs down Bald Moutain under the Sterling, Wasatch and Sultan lifts. I do prefer when they are groomed but skiing in 6-7in of fresh snow is always welcome. The Tycoon and Steins Way runs might be my favorite runs and represent the highest end of the steep runs I do. (as well as Tycoon at PC, that last bottom part that leads to McKonkeys lift). I also know to hit Bald Moutain in the morning, as it gets very skied off and beat up especially at the top as the day goes on. What runs or areas at Snowbird/Atla would be analogous to this? Are there any considerations needed to be taken on the time of day?

I also like the runs off of Empire for a little more of that above the tree line bowl feel and then in some sparse trees like in Orion and Supreme. What runs are like this at Snowbird Atla?

I also like some of the more spare tree runs in the “Powder Monkey” area to the left of the McKonkey Lift. Where can you find that at Snowbird/Alta?

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve been skiing PC/DV for the past 30 years and know the mountains fairly extensively. I have never ventured over to the Cottonwoods and I’ll like to. I like the fact that I know PC/DV so well that I know what runs ski well in the AM, afternoon, and just general ways to make the most out of the Moutain. I’m looking for some recommendations to what runs are similar to the ones I like at PC/DV

I’m an Intermediate/Advanced that likes to ski generally fast. Nothing extreme or anything with deep moguls from top to bottom. My favorite runs at DV are all the Blue runs down Bald Moutain under the Sterling, Wasatch and Sultan lifts. I do prefer when they are groomed but skiing in 6-7in of fresh snow is always welcome. The Tycoon and Steins Way runs might be my favorite runs and represent the highest end of the steep runs I do. (as well as Tycoon at PC, that last bottom part that leads to McKonkeys lift). I also know to hit Bald Moutain in the morning, as it gets very skied off and beat up especially at the top as the day goes on. What runs or areas at Snowbird/Atla would be analogous to this? Are there any considerations needed to be taken on the time of day?

I also like the runs off of Empire for a little more of that above the tree line bowl feel and then in some sparse trees like in Orion and Supreme. What runs are like this at Snowbird Atla?

I also like some of the more spare tree runs in the “Powder Monkey” area to the left of the McKonkey Lift. Where can you find that at Snowbird/Alta?

My suggestion would be to go to Snowbird and Alta to ski the best they have to offer, on their own terms. If you go there looking for what you already have at Deer Valley, you might be happier staying at Deer Valley.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'll offer advice re: groomers... others might be able to weigh in on the other questions. Grooming will vary at least a bit from day to day, so pull up a daily grooming report on your phone, and plan to hit most of the fresh-groomed blue and black runs.

Alta: Park at the Wildcat base and ski fresh-groomed runs under the Collins, Sugarloaf, Supreme, and maybe Wildcat lifts. Black diamond groomers are generally in the same ballpark as the steepest sections of Stein's Way or Tycoon. Collins Face or other runs beneath the Collins angle station might be outside your comfort zone--steep and can potentially be pretty slick. The Sunnyside (and Albion if it's running) lifts tend to get long lines, and my opinion is that the terrain there isn't really worth it... but it also wouldn't hurt much to try it out and see for yourself.

Snowbird: Starting with the free mountain tour isn't a bad idea, or do a tour for yourself to see what's feeling particularly good that day. Most of the fresh-groomed blue runs (except maybe under Baby Thunder) are worth a try; the green runs under Baldy Express can be very nice, and comparable to some of the easier intermediate runs at Park City or Deer Valley. BIg Emma gets a lot of traffic, while Rothman Way is a cat-track--either if fine if you're trying to get somewhere they lead, but I don't recommend either for its own sake. Black diamond runs at Snowbird tend to be pretty steep, but Regulator Johnson is the easiest (probably comparable to the steeps on Tycoon & Stein's). Other potentially-groomed black runs can be a little more challenging, but can also be a lot of fun, and they're not way beyond your usual comfort level.

Note that the elevations are generally higher than Park City, so coming from Atlanta I'd recommend at least a day or two over in Park City to adjust before driving around, just to try avoiding altitude sickness.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My suggestion would be to go to Snowbird and Alta to ski the best they have to offer, on their own terms. If you go there looking for what you already have at Deer Valley, you might be happier staying at Deer Valley.
This. DV has as many good fall line groomers as all the LCC and BCC areas combined. Hit snowbasin on a bluebird day if you want gOod groomers.

Last edited:

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
none of snowbirds groomers are "good" for a groomer afficicionado. dont even bother. its like ordering the fish at a steakhouse, its serviceable but not good.. take your big mtn skis only if you're skiing snowbird.

alta groomers are good though. still not as perfrft as a groomers mtn. but a big jump up fron snowbird.

Sponsor

Staff online