• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah Snowbird 2015-2016

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
image.jpeg I'm hoping for a big season in the LCC, we've been deprived the last few years, we're due....

This will be a thread with observations from Snowbird. I'll be there every Saturday and Sunday and whenever it snows over 12 inches. (Hopefully I get to invoke that numerous times this season!) I'd love to see reports of others skiing here, ideally this thread will be interactive. If anyone would like to meet up for some turns let me know.

I'll be with my 14 yo daughter and my little guy (4yo) a lot this season, it should be fun.

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Snowbird opens tomorrow with Chickadee, Gadzoom and THE TRAM! Opening day is usually a WROD down Gadzoom, it'll be nice to ride the tram on opening day.

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Opening day! I managed to sneak out of work around noonish. After grabbing a 7-11 hot dog (one of my skiing staples) and a big gulp I headed up the Little. It was pretty obvious this season has started out better than recent seasons, most of the canyon was white. My plan worked pretty well, I figured with my arrival time I'd be able to score a close spot from someone who'd been there for opener and left at noon. I parked about three spots from the access to Gadzoom.

When I got there I gave a call to a buddy that had gotten there earlier, he recommended staying away from the tram, "The winds are kicking and Reg is a sheet of ice." I took his advice and spun laps on Gadzoom. The conditions weren't too bad, although you can definitely tell we're skiing on a mainly gun caused base. There were a lot of slick spots, the slick spots combined with a pretty robust crowd confined to one trail made for harrowing situations at times.

Full lots when I got there around 1:30.

image.jpeg

New trail map with more lines named.

image.jpeg

Pretty good coverage on what was open.

image.jpeg

Looking down Emma towards the end of the day, it bumped up a bit.

image.jpeg

There was a porcupine stationed under Zoomer for a while, he seemed content to store up winter rations

. image.jpeg

I dropped my skis off with a buddy and I'm hoping I'll have some edges tomorrow. I'm using my season pass perk of a free Cliff lodge room tomorrow night, the family and I are looking forward to a staycation. Two of my skiing buddies are also cashing in their rooms as well so we're gonna take over the pool Caddyshack style! J/k.

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
It was another beautiful day in the Wasatch, it was a bit nippy in the morning but it warmed up once the sun came over the ridge. It wasn't too busy first thing but the crowds showed up around 11. We parked down by Zoomer and spun one lap there before heading up the tram. Regulator is the only way down from the tram and it was skiing beautifully first thing. The top hundred yards or so was a bit firm but below that was nice loose snow/gunpowder to the bottom of the pitch. it's so much better in the morning, as the day went on it got glassier and slicker. The slickness and the crowds chased us out around 1:00.

We're at the Cliff right now, it's almost time to hit up the hot tub!

Some pics of the new restaurant, it's quite stunning.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The lines got pretty long on Zoomer, the tram was never more than a one boat wait.

image.jpeg

Beautiful day.

image.jpeg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Nice!!

Makes be want to rally a road trip

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
If you buy your season pass in early August Snowbird gives you a number of perks, one of those perks is a free room at the Cliff Lodge. The voucher must be used by November 30th, myself and two of my skiing buddies all saved our rooms for one of the two weekends with skiing it could be used. It was pretty obvious a lot of other people did the same, the hotel seemed full and everyone I saw in the large line at check in was clutching a voucher.

One of my buddies went to El Chanante, we opted for Tram Car pizza. I've been to El Chanante a number of times, it's pretty good food for about the cheapest up there, my buddy got suckered into the tequila selection at the bar and never made it to the hot tubs. We didn't miss the opportunity to hit up the hot tubs, the pool area was pretty busy. At one time I counted 24 people in the hot tub we were in, they have three of them and all were full. Sitting in a hot tub in the mountains with a bunch of like minded ski fanatics is pretty special time.

It was nice being able to sleep in a bit and still make it early to the tram plaza. I didn't ski long today, i left at noon as the crowds began to show up. It was pretty much a carbon copy of yesterday, good in the morning and busier/glazier as the day went on. They've been blowing a lot of snow so coverage on everything open is very good. I've hit minimal rocks so far this season. We're supposed to have a storm rolling in Wednesday into Wednesday night, we could possibly see a foot and a half of snow. If so you can bet Peruvian will open on Thanksgiving. They already have a groomer down Chips.

Moon rising over the ridge line last night.

image.jpeg

Pool and hot tub area.

image.jpeg

They're redoing all the rooms in the Cliff, the weird shower windows are all gone now, heh.

image.jpeg

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
The last couple of storms to roll through have overproduced, so I suppose it was time to return to the mean. What was supposed to be a foot turned into four inches overnight and six in 24 hours. We got to the lot about 8:30, there was still plenty of parking but cars were streaming in fast. We joined the line up at Zoomer and were about 15 chairs back, the line continued to grow and was pretty good sized by the time they started loading the lift. I talked to a guy that lined up for the tram and he said he was second boat after joining the line up at 8:30.

First run down the conditions were fantastic, the grooming crew did a fine job smoothing everything out. The surface was carveable and devoid of slick spots. We hit up the short pitches below the Bass Highway and found a bit of pow over a decent base. The Zoom line once again got pretty large around 10:30, the tram remained pretty much walk on. Gad 2 opened soon afterwards and alleviated the lines immensely. Election was the only way down from Gad 2 so we didn't even go over there, there was a large crowd waiting for it to open all morning. I'm not sure if the folks waiting realized they'd have limited skiing available over there but I was ok with them waiting and not clogging up the already crowded few runs.

Regulator was pretty good in the morning, soft snow and they pushed the left hand rope line out a bit. We left at noon as the crowds and slickness was starting to become overbearing. There were a few patrol tracks in the Cirque and it looks like they have a groomer cut down Chips and the Rothman Way. It was snowing fairly brisk at times at the top, hopefully the terrain openings will continue.

Dry roads in the morning, :(.

image.jpeg

Looking down a pitch off the Bass Highway.

image.jpeg

Playing in the shallow pow tele style.

image.jpeg

Clouds coming up canyon on the way down.

image.jpeg

Happy Thanksgiving!

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Couple pics from Sunday that my buddy sent me.

Myself at the top of Regulator on a beautiful day.

image.jpeg

Dropping down Regulator with the guns blazing.

image.jpeg

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Today was markedly quieter than yesterday. I pulled into the lot at about 8:45 and parked three spots from the skier access. The line up was minimal, I was solo today so I joined a threesome of race kiddies about ten chairs back. While riding up I could see rope and boo on Lumch Run, sure enough at top it was open. It's kinda nice to have an alternative to Bassackwards, the snow on Lunch Run was nice and soft as well.

I did a few tram laps, Regulator was in nice shape, a bit firm but edgeable. Every lap I walked right onto the loading deck. The lines at Zoom and Gad2 were minimal as well. I got cut off on Election, went to turn to avoid them and washed out and spun around backwards clicking off a ski, I fell and landed on my ski with my upper back thigh, that was pretty much the end of my day, I made one more Zoomer lap before it stiffened up on me and sent me scurrying home. After a long hot bath it feels a little better but I'm definitely going to have a bruise.

It snowed on and off while I was there, were supposed to get 1-2 inches tonight with the possibility of a little bit stronger impulse on Sunday.

Didn't bust out the camera much, it was pretty cloudy and the light was flat.

Lodges from the Bass Highway, Superior in the background.

image.jpeg

View down Emma.

image.jpeg

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Snowbird got 2 inches overnight, it was just enough to soften things u a bit. The two inches wasn't enough to roust the powder chargers, crowds were pretty minimal at opener. I pulled in a few minutes before 9:00 and parked close to the skier access to Zoom. The opener line up was gone by the time I got booted up, I strolled right onto the lift.

The snow was great this morning, it was nice skiing in a little bit quieter environment, the softness dampening the noise a bit. I spun a lap on Zoom waiting for a buddy to show up, when he got there we were headed to the tram and got waylaid by the pitches below Harper's off the Bass Highway. There was about three inches sitting there untouched over a decent styrofoam base. We lapped Zoom and those pitches a number of times, they also opened Wilbere Ridge below the Bass Highway, a little bit more variety.

The crowds have been arriving about 10:30-11ish. Now that Lunch Run is open the Bassackwards choke points aren't as bad, but the Emma choke point gets a little harrowing. Everyone lapping Zoom or the tram has to go down Emma, it gets to be a sea of humanity with a lot of people going a lot of different speeds. I quit at noon today when it started getting too scary.

Visibility was pretty poor today, clouds/fog rolled through now and then, it snowed a bit while I was there. We're supposed to get 2-4 this afternoon and then a repeat of 1-2 overnight tonight with 1-2 tomorrow. A lifty told me Peruvian is planned for next week.

Tough visibility, same view down Emma as the photo from yesterday.

image.jpeg

There was a little bit of snow to move around, tele buddy on lower Harpers.

image.jpeg

Full lot at noon when I left.

image.jpeg

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
I certainly hope this doesn't become another season with a trend of fizzling storms. What was supposed to be a decent little storm turned into nothing. Although it didn't snow it was still plenty cold this morning, booting up was a chilly affair. With the lack of snow and it being a travel day for most tourists it was pretty vacant today. I got to an empty lift corral at 9:10 and had a chair to myself for the ride up.

It took a few runs to get the feeling in my toes and fingertips. The light was pretty flat first thing, combined with the snow guns all working overtime the visibility was tough once again. The snow was still soft so visibility wasn't as critical, the grooming crew had done their usual fantastic job deicing and smoothing the high traffic areas.

Around noon patrol pulled a rope separating Lower Emma from Lowest Backasswards, it isn't much but another little bit of terrain open and alternative ways for the crowds to disperse. I'd guess by next weekend we'll be skiing on the Peruvian side as well as Bananas off of Gad 2. The sun started poking through now and then as the morning went on, it also lightly snowed now and then.

I quit at 12:30 and drove over to Solitude to see some friends, Eagle opened today so they had a bit more terrain to ski as well. My son went to Brighton today and reported Snake Creek opened up there.

#spreadtelemark

image.jpeg

Coming down a hazy Emma.

image.jpeg

Sun poking through here and there.

image.jpeg

Lower Harper's was still skiing very nicely, and a nice way to get away from the crowds.

image.jpeg

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Yay! The Peruvian Gulch opens tomorrow. Now I just have to figure out how to sneak out of work! If I can't sneak out at least we'll have something new to ski this weekend.

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
It was another beautiful day in the Wasatch. An inch overnight was just enough to make some quiet turns first thing in the morning. I parked in the Zoom lot at 8:30, the lot was empty except for parents dropping off race kiddies. It was a bit brisk this morning but not too bad, I waited till 8:45 to head down to Zoom. I found a nearly empty corral and joined up with two people first in line. The race kids were on the hill early but they all kept to middle of the groomers all the way down to their gates on Emma. This left the sides of Linch Run rather soft, Emma was much the same.

I met a buddy on the plaza and we spun a few tram laps into Peruvian. The gulch opened up yesterday, it was open today but for some reason the Peruvian lift never opened today, at least not before I left at 1:00. The snow was decent on the Peruvian side, although it's still pretty thin and staying to where they've blown snow is recommended. They do have a number of options though, and on the couple of choke points there is plenty of snow with very few chocolate chips. It seems they've blown a lot more snow this year, both sides of the hill are covered well.

The snow guns were blazing for most of the time we were there. It started warming up around noon and when we left at one I saw the snowmaking crew were checking all the guns, I presume they were getting ready to shut them off. The guns provided the game of the morning, the crisp temps were allowing the snowmaking to put down a nice skiing surface. Parts of the hill were a bit firm but for the most part you could hang on and find some gunpowder. Wilbere Ridge, Wilbere Cut off, Harper's and Lower Harper's provided decent snow even late in the morning. Election is still the only run open off of Gad 2, but you can now ski past the base of Gad 2 onto Lowest Bassackwards. It provides an alternative to skiing Emma to get to the base of Zoomer. Emma was just starting to get a pretty good sheen when we left at 1:00.

First chair at Zoomer.

image.jpeg

Looking down Chip's Ahoy (The pitch just above and skiers left from the top of the Peruvian lift.)

image.jpeg

Looking back up at the new restaurant from the same spot.

image.jpeg

Lower Cirque is starting to fill in, taken from Chip's Bypass.

image.jpeg

Midldle Cirque is looking good as well, I'll bet next storm or two will open this terrain. (Taken from the tram.)

image.jpeg

A look at Regulator from the top of Election.

image.jpeg

Doesn't look like much snow until next week, but I'm hoping tomorrow will be beautiful as well. Get there early!!!

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Today was definitely not one of the better days in the Wasatch this season. In fact, it was pretty crappy today. The day started out decent enough, we got to the Zoom lot at 8:20. It was noticeably warmer, putting on boots wasn't uncomfortable at all. We chilled out at the car till almost nine and joined a tiny lineup, The snow was nice and chalky first thing in the morning, we spun a few laps on Zoom and headed to the tram. The winds were pretty stiff in the morning and gained speed as the day went on.

When we loaded the red tram we were told it was the last for a while and probably for the day. When I loaded I saw something I'd never seen before, they had four 55 gallon barrels full of water each lashed to one of the poles inside the tram. The winds were so fierce they needed weight in the tram when they came down unloaded. I usually grab a spot along the rail by the tram operator. On this ride we had two operators and they were chatting about how the operator up top in the blue tram was nervous about coming down past the top tower. We headed up and got about 200 yards up, slowed down and stopped. We sat there for a few seconds and then headed down. We got almost to the tram base, stopped for a few seconds and then headed back up again. We slowed near the spot we'd last stopped at, kept going and then speeded up once past. A sigh of relief could be heard in the tram as we kept going upwards. The operators were paying keen attention to each tower we approached, there were gusts of 60 mph on our way up and they said it'd hit 80 at times.

At top they again told us the tram was done but they'd be opening Peruvian. We hit up the Peruvian side and other than a bulletproof top of Chip's Ahoy it skied very well, more of chalky goodness. We took the Rothman Way to the top of Harper's and stood there for a minute watching the Peruvian spin, saw a couple of patrollers go up but no chairs loading other than that. We figured we would take a lap on Zoom and see what happened with Peruvian. We found fantastic snow on Harper's, styrofoam with some gun powder mixed in here and there. We found a bit of a line at Zoom and rode it to the top. From about the restaurant up the winds were pretty harsh, although it was 43 degrees at the base the 60 mph winds made it a touch uncomfortable. What was chalky goodness earlier had been turned to icy nastiness. Wherever was exposed to the wind was now bulletproof. Usually you can glide past the ice and pick your spots to turn, the wind took that option away as it scoured off any loose snow dislodged by edges.

Once you got below the summer road to the top of Emma the snow was good again, we decided the top section of Zoom wasn't worth skiing and headed down the Bass Highway to check on Peruvian. We got to where we could see the line for the lift and saw all of the line start heading our way towards Zoom, shut down. The wind wouldn't even let them run Peruvian, we decided that was the end of our day as we weren't willing to lap the icy top of Zoom with now the entire resort load of people. We went to the car and hung out for about a half hour watching to see if we could see Peruvian running again. We gave up around noon and headed home with hopes for better snow next weekend. It isn't always rainbows and unicorns in the Wasatch.

It was pretty windy today, didn't get out my phone much. Here's a shot looking back up at the tram as the wind was battering me.

image.jpeg

They took the Obell X up on the Superior ridge line, you can see it from the Zoom lot. It's the object in the middle upper of the pic along the ridge line. It looks to me that they put it at the top of Suicide Chute.

image.jpeg

For perspective here is a picture of it in the tram plaza this summer.

image.jpeg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Bob, we'll be heading to Utah some time this winter.
I'll shoot you a PM and hopefully we can hook up for drinks or a nice meal.

TS
BobMc

BobMc

In line for the tram
Skier
Hopefully, things will improve by the time I get there in early February...

I would certainly hope so! It is starting to look like this week's storm may miss us a bit as well. But, I'm still holding out hope, forecasts are wrong more often than right.

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
we decided the top section of Zoom wasn't worth skiing and headed down the Bass Highway to check on Peruvian. We got to where we could see the line for the lift and saw all of the line start heading our way towards Zoom, shut down. The wind wouldn't even let them run Peruvian, we decided that was the end of our day as we weren't willing to lap the icy top of Zoom with now the entire resort load of people. We went to the car and hung out for about a half hour watching to see if we could see Peruvian running again. We gave up around noon and headed home with hopes for better snow next weekend. It isn't always rainbows and unicorns in the Wasatch.

For perspective here is a picture of it in the tram plaza this summer.

View attachment 1099

Martian landing capsule ? Edit: oops the photo went away. Oh well.

One morning I was skiing Snowbird and a derecho windstorm hit. steady winds went from 0-80mph in 5 minutes.
Trucks flipped over on I-80. Only problem was I was traversing the knife edge trail at the top of the cirque.
I had to hang onto a bush for dear life else I'd be blown over a cliff to the right or the left. After a scary half hour
the wind calmed just a bit so I could get down.

They quickly shut down the entire ski area, even Chickadee, and gave refunds.