• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
On Snowbird's FB. Snowbird 1 Star_v01.jpg
Snowbird's response:Greg thought we were "Too Advanced", for our core guest it's why they come back year after year.

Can't make these things up.

Michael R.

skiNEwhere
Skier
Reverse psychology.....genius!

Not sure how they will measure success of a specific campaign but I could see this working.

TS
KingGrump

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I am actually more amused by Greg.

Michael R.

skiNEwhere
Skier
Thinking about this a little more, I could see a couple snags. This will definitely solidify locals opinions of the mountain, but I'm not sure if it will bring in new skiers. When I pulled up one-star reviews, some of them did look like legitimate gripes, and there is the possibly that skiers who were planning a trip there beforehand might go looking for them as well.

I think this is an ongoing campaign, if so I wouldn't be surprised to see this gem next.

Snowbird.PNG

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Well...if popular internet opinion means anything, its a rousing success with almost 100K upvotes:
Personally I don't see this backfiring. Even if people aren't the expert skiers that Snowbird really rewards, people want to believe their expert skiers.

TS
KingGrump

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Even if people aren't the expert skiers that Snowbird really rewards, people want to believe their expert skiers.

Looks like they got their target demographic nailed.

Nothing wrong with a little bit of delusion.

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
One year when I told a friend I was headed to Snowbird he told me "you know it's really hard, right?" I told him I'd be OK. He kept repeating it every time I saw him before we left. I just smiled and nodded. I think he really thought I'd die there. I'm still kicking.

I agree that their rep probably attracts some to say they skied it. Also, there is zero (IMHO) nightlife so only true skiers would love it anyway.

Last edited:

TonyC

Contact me at bestsnow.net
Pass Pulled
Letting the customer know - this is who we are - its not a bad idea. Its just truth in advertising.
Too bad this didn't happen before esumsea from Miami (old Epic thread) decided to take a spring break week at Snowbird after 3 lifetime prior ski days.

TS
KingGrump

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I remember that guy.
IIRC, he even complained about too much powder on Big Emma during a private lesson with his girl friend. Along the line of "How is anyone suppose to ski with all this snow on the ground." :roflmao::roflmao:

Had some really nice pics of his girl friend relaxing by the hot tub after she blew her ACL.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It has worked for Mad River Glen.

bumper_stickers_3_web.jpg

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
How truthful is the pic? The rest of inbounds looks totally skied out with bumps yet the model is in overhead blower?

TS
KingGrump

KingGrump

Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
If all they needed was the truth. They wouldn't need a marketing department.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
How truthful is the pic? The rest of inbounds looks totally skied out with bumps yet the model is in overhead blower?

I am not a Snowbird expert. But I *think* this is off the High Baldy traverse. I'd bet this is slower to open than most the mountain after a storm. And that before patrol opened it, they went and took a promo photo.

So it's truthful in that, it's at Snowbird and it's difficult terrain. You're unlikely to ski this line perfectly untracked unless you catch a rope drop.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Catching a rope
Too bad this didn't happen before esumsea from Miami (old Epic thread) decided to take a spring break week at Snowbird after 3 lifetime prior ski days.

IIRC that guy was warned by half the forum to go to park city instead. Its too bad he hit too much snow to ski.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
I remember that guy.
IIRC, he even complained about too much powder on Big Emma during a private lesson with his girl friend. Along the line of "How is anyone suppose to ski with all this snow on the ground." :roflmao::roflmao:

Had some really nice pics of his girl friend relaxing by the hot tub after she blew her ACL.
:useless:

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hey JMEB wouldn't it be cool if you were the guy having breakfast and some guy says hey J WE NEED YOU TO TAKE A PROMO SHOT,,,,,,finish your oatmeal !!!

Shawn C.

Out on the slopes
Skier

There isn't a layer of smog in the valley so I'm doubting the veracity of the pic. :ogcool:

Seems like great ad campaign they have going though!

Sponsor

Staff online