• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
1506862135242_800x450.jpg

Snow from last night with several inches more on the way.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
:snow::yahoo::snow:

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM NOON TODAY TO
MIDNIGHT MDT MONDAY NIGHT...

* LOCATIONS INCLUDE...Columbine, Hahns Peak, Toponas, Buford,
Trappers Lake, Manila, and Dutch John.

* TIMING...Snow will increase in coverage and intensity this
afternoon and continue through Monday evening.

* SNOW ACCUMULATION...12 to 20 inches.

* SNOW LEVEL...Starting around 10,000 feet then lowering to near
7000 feet by Monday morning.

* WINDS...West 10 to 20 mph with gusts up to 40 mph.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Early snow begets dangerous backcountry conditions later on when the ground isn't frozen hard. Let's hope it all melts because that much snow on the ground will only become killer (literally) depth hoar if it doesn't.

I know I sound like a curmudgeon, but this kind of snowfall is what makes CO the most deadly state in the country for avalanche.
Avalanche deaths in the United States: a 45-year analysis.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This last storm looks like rain up to the ridge line in the wasatch.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Early snow begets dangerous backcountry conditions later on when the ground isn't frozen hard. Let's hope it all melts because that much snow on the ground will only become killer (literally) depth hoar if it doesn't.

I know I sound like a curmudgeon, but this kind of snowfall is what makes CO the most deadly state in the country for avalanche.
Avalanche deaths in the United States: a 45-year analysis.

We just need it to keep snowing and not warm up. I don't think a lot of it is going to melt, with the forecast and the fact that it's October and the sun is lower.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
We just need it to keep snowing and not warm up. I don't think a lot of it is going to melt, with the forecast and the fact that it's October and the sun is lower.

Unfortunately if it doesn't melt, the ground below won't freeze and the hoar will develop. So for the BC early snow isn't good. For the resorts it is fine, sort of, as they can groom it in place and eliminate the development of hoar, but not in the bowls and chutes where we like to ski and they don't groom.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Unfortunately if it doesn't melt, the ground below won't freeze and the hoar will develop. So for the BC early snow isn't good. For the resorts it is fine, sort of, as they can groom it in place and eliminate the development of hoar, but not in the bowls and chutes where we like to ski and they don't groom.

I hear ya, I was being a little tongue in cheek, wishing for it literally to not stop snowing so that we get a gigantic maritime snowpack to crush all that little depth hoar. Right? That can happen?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I hear ya, I was being a little tongue in cheek, wishing for it literally to not stop snowing so that we get a gigantic maritime snowpack to crush all that little depth hoar. Right? That can happen?

I suppose it could. I too always wish for snow.

we have this risk regardless every winter.

Yes, we do.

TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
virga.jpg
@Blue Streak and I hiked up on Mt Werner (ski mtn) yesterday and we watched this front push in from the west/southwest. It was like a black wall and virga snow towards the flattops. We got off the mtn just as the first drops came down. You could tell this was a monster coming in. BTW- Proof that this winter will be deep :)

wooly .jpg

steve.jpg

Last edited:
TS
Ron

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
tried to load latest pic of snowcam, its about 10
' now
1506881543012_800x450.jpg

Last edited: