• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow ... I wouldn't have guessed it would have sprayed strongly that high or far enough to move a gondola cabin like that. I wonder if anyone tried to ski through it?

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Good reason to wear your helmet indoors!

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
They should be clean now.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I imagine that there will be a rather icy spot on that trail for the rest of the season...

Reactions: RJS

James

Out There
Instructor
Stratton has plumbing issues it seems. Didn't someone hook up the air to blow out the snowmaking to the wrong pipe and blew out the toilets a few years ago?

jzmtl

Intermidiot
Skier
At lease it wasn't a chairlift, would that even be survivable given the power and temperature?

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Stratton has plumbing issues it seems. Didn't someone hook up the air to blow out the snowmaking to the wrong pipe and blew out the toilets a few years ago?

Oh my, I hope that is just a rumor!

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Something similar happened at Bristol a few years ago. A pipe burst under the main HSQ and sent a geyser up high enough to soak the people (including the guy I had been skiing with) on the chair. For whatever reason I took a break and told him I'd meet him next run-sometimes you're just lucky...................:D
PS-No one got hurt.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Considering how fast that water came out, you can see how you have those drownings in snowmaking bunkers. They must fill instantly.

James

Out There
Instructor
Considering how fast that water came out, you can see how you have those drownings in snowmaking bunkers. They must fill instantly.
I haven't heard about these drownings.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Wow ... I wouldn't have guessed it would have sprayed strongly that high or far enough to move a gondola cabin like that. I wonder if anyone tried to ski through it?
From my background in underground utilities, water pressure can be crazy.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I wouldn't have guessed that there was that much pressure in a snow making system.
Depends on the type of snowmaking they have.

OldJeep

Getting off the lift
Skier
Seems pretty unlikely that the well that a resort uses for snowmaking would be hooked up to their normal water system

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Seems pretty unlikely that the well that a resort uses for snowmaking would be hooked up to their normal water system

^^^ I am not so sure about this. Several summers ago wild fires in B.C. threatened the Sun Peaks Village (fire got within a couple miles away) so they used the snow guns to hose down the hotels in the village core. Shortly afterwards they changed the plumbing so they could divert water from the snow making reservoir to the village fire hydrants.

The reservoir is located in the alpine, 2500' (est.) above the village so it is a gravity fed low pressure system with no pumps other than whats on the snow guns. This might make the fire hydrant switch over more viable with no toilets ever harmed.:D

Last edited:

Sponsor