• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ok, I will admit it, I am pretty worried about our Trip to Deer Valley Dec 11-21

There is not much snow in the forecast for the next 10 days. I will be pretty unhappy to be on a WROD on a major ski vacation/trip

So my question is, how much snow can be made with the snow guns? I could care less if there is only snow on the groomers, but I do hope for a lot of trails to be open.

I would assume that a place like DV has a lot of guns. With cold (enough for snow making) weather in the 10 day forecast, will they have good coverage? Will the base be adequate?

BTW, NOT asking for a friend :nono:

I just want to be able to :Teleb:

Note: DV opens Dec 2nd

blah

Getting on the lift
Skier
Well, go where the snow is, i guess. With a rental car, targhee and Jackson are only an easy 4 hr road trip away from SLC. I may have to do the same if conditions still look awful close to Christmas time.

Even LCC is looking pretty bare on the webcams at this point.

allgash

Booting up
Skier
I bet the Deer Valley has a pretty decent snowmaking system. Even if it's not a good snow year, I imagine that they need to support the enormous amount of real estate on the mountain by having decent coverage. One thing working against you is that they typically put in a lot of snowmaking effort in November, but I would guess that it's been too warm to make as much snow as they typically would.

Set expectations low. If you can, maybe try blah's idea of spending some time in Targhee or Jackson? Sadly, Alta's not going to be that different than Deer Valley.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
53, is it too late to cancel the DV trip and substitute Whistler?

Telephone DV and PCMR. Ask them about the snow making capability. If you do, let us all know the answers.

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
53, is it too late to cancel the DV trip and substitute Whistler?

Telephone DV and PCMR. Ask them about the snow making capability. If you do, let us all know the answers.

We are locked in and pre-paid. I think/hope they will have decent terrain options. It is simple for me as I am the beginner in the family, more of an issue for @Mrs. 53 as she is the advanced skier.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
It's pretty grim here. Even those resorts with great snowmaking (like Snowbasin) are suffering because of how warm it was last week. It's cooled off, but still, no signifcant snow forecast and another ridge of high pressure next week. That could halt snowmaking efforts.
I'm going CRAZY. I can see Snowbasin from my house. It's bare. :(

Bigtinnie

Formerly 'sbooker' in another world.
Skier
Do resorts take the opportunity to intensively groom the trails (mow and clear debris) in times like these? Surely that would be a benefit for when the snow finally comes?

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
I bet the Deer Valley has a pretty decent snowmaking system. Even if it's not a good snow year, I imagine that they need to support the enormous amount of real estate on the mountain by having decent coverage. One thing working against you is that they typically put in a lot of snowmaking effort in November, but I would guess that it's been too warm to make as much snow as they typically would.

Set expectations low. If you can, maybe try blah's idea of spending some time in Targhee or Jackson? Sadly, Alta's not going to be that different than Deer Valley.

I am sure Deer Valley has decent snowmaking. The problem/challenge is that we are talking about a mountain that advertises over 2,000 acres of skiable terrain with a top elevation of over 9,000 feet. There is no snowmaking system out there that will be able to cover anywhere much beyond 10-20% of the mountain, at least not before bankrupting it.

So you have to think whether it's worth going to ski 1/10th of Deere Valley and if the conditions on the open terrain will be any good. If its not very costly in terms of money or time than perhaps it makes sense because the entire area around Deere Valley itself is stunning. If you are going to fly across the country and spend thousands of dollars then perhaps it does not make much sense.

Bob Peters

JHMR Ambassador
Industry Insider
I just sent Deer Valley an email suggesting that they have someone from marketing come on here to answer your questions.

We lived in SLC for a few years around 2000 and I skied Deer Valley quite a bit and really enjoyed it. My recollection was that they have a great deal of snowmaking on a lot of runs. The big question is whether it will be cold enough to blow snow for long enough to make a difference.

On the larger question of go or no-go... Many years ago, my wife and I had planned a trip to Steamboat just before Thanksgiving. They ended up with NO snow and didn't open for the first time in about a zillion years. We ended up in Vail and skied only on manmade snow. We still had a great time, skipped a couple of days of skiing (which we would normally never think of) and went traveling around the area, hiking, etc. We had a great vacation even though the skiing was pretty marginal.

You can still have a wonderful time even if the skiing isn't great.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Do resorts take the opportunity to intensively groom the trails (mow and clear debris) in times like these? Surely that would be a benefit for when the snow finally comes?

A lot of places do an end of summer mow and clear. Many of the western US ski areas are very rocky so not sure they do it.

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
I skied Deer Valley in mid december in 2011, which was a really bad early snow year for UT. It was fine for a day. I can't imagine having to ski it for 10 days though. We also skied Alta, Solitude and Park City on that trip and all were marginal. Like "half-price lift tickets" marginal. Again, each area was fine for a day. Groomers only, about 25% open at each place. That's just not a way to spend 10 days. I ski the same week each year (happy birthday to me!), and used to book in advance. Over the years, Tony Crocker really hammered me on what a terrible idea this was, as it's really low season and last minute lodging is usually available on the cheap pretty much everywhere. This year I waited and booked Banff last week. They're having their best early season in 60 years, and I never would have predicted that. Long story short: do what you're gonna do this year, but learn from this experience and wait to book early/mid December until the last possible moment.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just sent Deer Valley an email suggesting that they have someone from marketing come on here to answer your questions.

We lived in SLC for a few years around 2000 and I skied Deer Valley quite a bit and really enjoyed it. My recollection was that they have a great deal of snowmaking on a lot of runs. The big question is whether it will be cold enough to blow snow for long enough to make a difference.

On the larger question of go or no-go... Many years ago, my wife and I had planned a trip to Steamboat just before Thanksgiving. They ended up with NO snow and didn't open for the first time in about a zillion years. We ended up in Vail and skied only on manmade snow. We still had a great time, skipped a couple of days of skiing (which we would normally never think of) and went traveling around the area, hiking, etc. We had a great vacation even though the skiing was pretty marginal.

You can still have a wonderful time even if the skiing isn't great.

I’ll second that....My family and I have gotten skunked on a few trips...we started out being disappointed about weather, conditions.....(why us?, if only?, it’s the family jinx, etc, etc.)

But once we get there....and see how great these towns/mountains are....we still definitely always had a lot of fun....made great memories as a family....skiing crap, snowshoeing, hiking, exploring, shopping, relaxing pool/hot tub, etc.

You’ll have a great trip regardless...PC is a great town with so much to do.....DV is world class..they’ll have open what they have open and it’ll be a lot better than skiing in FL.

Have a great trip.....you’ll be back....guaranteed!

James

Out There
Instructor
You're discovering it's not the snow guns, or more accurately the snow making system, but the cold. Basically every "big" area in VT doesn't nees real snow to have quite decent conditions. They do need cold. I'd take no snow but cold for Dec, over snow- warm- rain - rain - snow - warm - rain.

But, ideally snow made from guns should sit awhile before being made into a skiing surface. New manmade has lots of water in it. This might be different in Utah where it's dry, but it's not that cold either right now. You really want temps in the teens for efficiency.
If they get cold, you'll have something decent. But they need several days of it.

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You’ll have a great trip regardless...PC is a great town with so much to do.....DV is world class..they’ll have open what they have open and it’ll be a lot better than skiing in FL.

Have a great trip.....you’ll be back....guaranteed!
We have been there over Christmas two years ago for 5 days, Betsy has been there many times and it is her favorite place. What is not to like about DV? Oh, I’ll answer that, nothing, it is great.

Why the early start? Couldn't wait to ski or schedule conflicts?

Yes, I am working the month of January, and the last two weeks of February and into early March, all 6 weeks out of the country. Going to Vail with a group Feb. 3-10 which should be fun.

Gotta make a plan for March....... hmmmm

Reactions: BC.

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
No clubs! :nono:

I could see a day trip to Sun Valley or Grand Targhee.

Web Cams from DV look decent right now

At 5+ hours each way... you'd be on the road more than on your skis :eek:

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
We have been there over Christmas two years ago for 5 days, Betsy has been there many times and it is her favorite place. What is not to like about DV? Oh, I’ll answer that, nothing, it is great.

Yes, I am working the month of January, and the last two weeks of February and into early March, all 6 weeks out of the country. Going to Vail with a group Feb. 3-10 which should be fun.

Gotta make a plan for March....... hmmmm
March, at a high altitude resort, please.

Sponsor

Staff online