• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The 88-90mm All-Mountain category is one of the most popular, yet "all mountain" has different meanings to different skiers. In this case, any of these skis could be the foundation of an eastern or western quiver. As the season progresses, we should see some of them in Long-Term Tests.

Snippets are designed not so much to answer questions as to start conversations. Please feel free to ask questions and open up discussion on any of these skis. Let us know what you are thinking and what you are looking for.

Next to the model name you see either All New or NGT. "All New" is self-explanatory: these skis are brand-new designs for the coming season. "NGT" refers to New Graphics Technology, which simply means the ski is a carryover from last season with updated graphics but no change in construction. There are no dimensions or sidecuts in the Snippets, and you know why? It really doesn’t matter. They are just numbers and have little to do with the feel of the ski on the snow -- and what is more important out there, feel or numbers? We will be discussing this a little more throughout the season.

Screen Shot 2015-11-14 at 8.50.32 AM.png

Armada Invictus 89Ti (All New): This was one of the pleasant surprises at Ski Test. The 89Ti is playful and one of the most versatile skis in the category. Armada hasn’t been on the radar of many skiers over 30, which is a shame, but they are expanding their offerings and are worth a look.
  • Pros: Proportionate sizing, every skier will have the same experience. Price.
  • Cons: Graphics, but I'm sure the kids like them.

16 Atomic Vantage 90.png

Atomic Vantage 90 CTi (All New): A nice evolution from the outgoing Vantage collection, the new Vantage 90 CTi’s have a better shape and are more consistent in feel throughout the turn shape than the previous generation.
  • Pros: Quieter, with a more refined feel on the snow, the new Vantage has grown up.
  • Cons: The collection can be a bit confusing.

16 Blizzard Brahma.png

Blizzard Brahma (NGT): For versatility with an off-piste bias, the Brahma in 3 short years has become the reference ski, the one the others are measured against. Blizzard's Flipcore just works: it's as good as or better than any construction in this area without losing hard-snow performance.
  • Pros: Damp and smooth without being vague or disconnected.
  • Cons: Lighter finesse skiers could get overpowered.

16 PK 89.png

Dynastar Powertrack 89 (NGT): Dynastar has done a very good job with the PT89. It has a shorter turn built in with with its five-point sidecut, a design that does not get nervous at speed. It is a good balance of finesse and power.
  • Pros: Easy with a big sweet spot that will make the most of any turn you shape ask of it.
  • Cons: Needs a high edge angle to really bite into the turn.

16 Monster 88.png

Head Monster 88 (All New): Could this be the new reference ski in the class? Only time will tell. Head has been on a roll lately, and bringing the Monster name back is just another notch in the bedpost. The new 88 is so smooth and reacts so well on groomers, it will make you wonder why you would want anything narrower.
  • Pros: The better you are, the more rewarding the ski is.
  • Cons: If you spend much time off piste, there are better options.

16 Kastle MX88.png

Kastle MX88 (NGT): Yes, the MX88 is the grandfather here. It is astounding that a 7-year-old ski is still considered a class leader, but the MX has a feel that not many skis can rival. Very few skis bely their dimensions like this ski does: on hard snow it feels narrower, in soft snow it feels wider. The MX88 is a truly special ski, villages have written songs about it ...
  • Pros: "Refined" is the word.
  • Cons: The 158 is too stiff, the 188 is disproportionate; stick to the 168 and 178 if you can. This will be the last year of production for this all-time classic.
16 Line SN92.png

Line Supernatural 92 (NGT): Gumwall sidewalls differentiate the 92 from the other skis here. These are just hyper smooth and damp without feeling neutered. The SN92 performs well on the hard pack without losing versatility off piste.
  • Pros: Smooth and solid.
  • Cons: Expects your full attention.

16 NRGy 90.png

Nordica NRGy90 (NGT): Easy does it, the NRGy90 is all about relaxing out there. Can it move when asked to? Yup, but it doesn’t require all your attention all the time. The NRGy90 does need tip pressure, so stay forward.
  • Pros: NRGy on demand.
  • Cons: If you ski in the backseat, look elsewhere.

16 Rossi E88.png

Rossignol Experience 88 (NGT): Of all the skis here, the Rossi is the most frontside biased. The snub nose of the E88, along with a fairly stiff mid-body and flared tail, makes for a very positive turn shape; it doesn’t want to let go.
  • Pros: Pop and spring across the hill is where this ski shines.
  • Cons: As the most frontside-biased ski here, it lacks versatility off piste and bumps.

Salomon Xdrive.png

Salomon X-Drive 8.8 FS (NGT): One of the more powerful skis in this group. Remember the Sentinel? Neither do most people, but it was one of the best skis Salomon ever made. Salomon went back to it for the 8.8, a ski that has much of the Sentinel's DNA. The 8.8 FS deserves to be on the feet of a lot of skiers, a lot of good skiers.
  • Pros: Power and smoothness.
  • Cons: Timid skiers just won’t be able to get enough out of it.

16 Scott The Ski.png

Scott The Ski (NGT): The Ski is just fun. Scott wants The Ski to be easy and playful; out of this bunch, it's the best in the bumps. The 3D sidecut gives The Ski a very quick edge-to-edge feel without the nervousness that can come with this shape.
  • Pros: It doesn’t get any easier than this.
  • Cons: A total miss on the graphics.

16 Stokli SR88.png

Stöckli Stormrider 88 (NGT): Wow, forget about when any Stormrider would beat you senseless then spit out your carcass. Welcome to modern times, the new Stormriders are refined and smooth and do everything superbly, at any speed.
  • Pros: Everything.
  • Cons: Nothing.

16 Volkl Kendo.png

Volkl Kendo (All New): It’s about time. The outgoing Kendo was long in the tooth and overdue for a replacement -- no, I was not a fan. The new one is good, really good. Volkl is offering some exceptional new skis for 2016, and this is one of them. The new Kendo has a much more balanced flex and reacts so much better to subtleties in input than the old model ever could.
  • Pros: All new and so much better.
  • Cons: People are going to think this is just another Kendo; it’s not, it’s better.

Last edited:

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Hey great stuff here! the head monster sounds s very interesting The shop didn't have the stockli 88 ready but it's on the list for sure.

FairToMiddlin

Getting off the lift
SkiTalk Tester
Phil, as I read your post, it occurred to me what a loaded (in a good way) category this is!

I still think the Nrgy is a miss, and this after testing it more than any other ski in the last two years. The eNeRGY required to get it to ski dynamically is disappointing. The good news is that Nordica still knows how to make a fun ski, as evidenced in the Enforcer/Santa Ana shape, and rumor has it they may be expanding that line, width-wise, in both directions... yes, please.

The Head Monster 88, Dynastar Powertrack 89, and Atomic Vantage are all great shapes, great options in this class. Blizz's Brahma, while good, is overshadowed by its narrower brother, the Latigo; Blizz finally applied flipcore to a narrow ski an made it work, did they ever.

To me, the most interesting comparison is the MX88 and the SR88. As high-end, discerning options in the category, they are surprisingly different. Kastle's seemingly timeless design continues to impress, but the latest SR88 (and 95, and 107) have jumped a generation ahead in versatility. It asks for less input, gives great snow feel, lets you ski all day without wearing you out, and feels like the sheets of titanal are lined with the skins of brutally clubbed baby seals (for extra smoothness). It is not as powerful as the MX, but it is not far off...

Lest you think I am a Kastle hater, a bit of my quiver from the garage:
IMG_5071.JPG

And then there is the The Ski. Try to get the '14-'15 iteration, specifically the gorgeous red 180cm, but try to get on it in any event. It will remove more years from your body than any performance enhancing drug; it is the kind of ski that will go with you after après ski to get a tattoo, remind your knees that bumps used to be fun, and that a ski under 100mm underfoot was just fine in powder.

Attachments

• IMG_5071.JPG
    IMG_5071.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
So I wanted to jdiscuss the NRG series as The reviews on that series seem to be so polarized Any thoughts to why? Could it just be skier style or type and not the ski itself?

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
@FTM Would take a Scott The ski in 180 as your everyday summit county ski for bumps steeps general skiing or a stockli 88 or head 88?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So I wanted to jdiscuss the NRG series as The reviews on that series seem to be so polarized Any thoughts to why? Could it just be skier style or type and not the ski itself?
It is a really good question. I don't know why it has been so polarizing, could be that the ski really needs to be skied forward and really driven to get the most out of it but when skied with a relaxed style it is so easy going. Maybe these are the two polarizing characteristics of the ski.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I need to get on a couple. A couple friends have the 90 and 100 and love them. the ski was so positively reviewed at first then the momentum seemed to stop in its tracks (literally).

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
It is a really good question. I don't know why it has been so polarizing, could be that the ski really needs to be skied forward and really driven to get the most out of it but when skied with a relaxed style it is so easy going. Maybe these are the two polarizing characteristics of the ski.

I think there's a lot of truth to this. For skiers with their mass leading their feet, the 100 skis great! Edge grip is astoundingly good for such a longitudinally soft ski. Very versatile in a range of conditions. They like moving edge to edge. If straight lining and 6 turns top to bottom is your gig, then look for something burlier as you will find a speed limit. I skied and taught on these quite a few days last year and really enjoyed them. Loaned them to a friend for a couple days toward the end of the season. He liked them enough that he asked if I'd sell them to him. I did, but only because I had something else in the 98/100 category coming for 15-16.

For those who ride the middle of the ski, bank their turns and are back and inside a bit, the 100 will feel vague and unresponsive. The surprise of the bunch? The 80. Really a fun ski and a flat out steal in the bang for the buck category at $499 MAP.

Ron

SkiTalk Tester
I think there's a lot of truth to this. For skiers with their mass leading their feet, the 100 skis great! Edge grip is astoundingly good for such a longitudinally soft ski. Very versatile in a range of conditions. They like moving edge to edge. If straight lining and 6 turns top to bottom is your gig, then look for something burlier as you will find a speed limit. I skied and taught on these quite a few days last year and really enjoyed them. Loaned them to a friend for a couple days toward the end of the season. He liked them enough that he asked if I'd sell them to him. I did, but only because I had something else in the 98/100 category coming for 15-16.

For those who ride the middle of the ski, bank their turns and are back and inside a bit, the 100 will feel vague and unresponsive. The surprise of the bunch? The 80. Really a fun ski and a flat out steal in the bang for the buck category at $499 MAP.

I think I'm drifting a but how does the 108 compare with the rest of the line?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think I'm drifting a but how does the 108 compare with the rest of the line?
You will have to wait for the One-Oh-Something snippets that are upcoming :popcorn:

Reactions: Ron

Sponsor