• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Anybody have any intel? Seems a bit on the expensive side all things considered? Kids-oriented trip... I'm seeing $5k for a 2 bedroom condo and tickets included. Thoughts?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've only been there twice, both late season. It has some great terrain, but the infrastructure is old. On the other hand, they seem to have made kids their core market niche. I skied with a couple from somewhere a long ways away (North Carolina, maybe?) who have been coming there about 12 years in a row because their daughter got started there and loved it all the way from young child through teenager.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Our ski club goes there every season at the end of March. There is usually a brewfest going on. Price is great, $250pp for the whole weekend. I've heard theres good terrain too.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Our ski club goes there every season at the end of March. There is usually a brewfest going on. Price is great, $250pp for the whole weekend. I've heard theres good terrain too.

(01) Our ski club goes there every season
(02) brewfest
(03) I've heard theres good terrain

I hope you didn't go with your ski club rather than the brewfest made you forgetful. :D

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I remember 2 years ago seeing a couple of T-shirts while skiing at Jay . "Friends don't let friends ski Smuggs"

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm sure someone with recent experience will chime in, but for what it's worth I skied at Smuggs for a couple days about 25 years ago. It's a fine ski area in a part of northern VT that gets decent amounts of natural snow. It has a self-contained base, sort of like Sugarloaf, so you can park your car and not use it again for several days. The main mtn is Madonna and it has excellent advanced terrain. Second mtn is Sterling with some fun cruisers. There is a third "mtn" with easier terrain beside the condo village. Lifts and buildings are old, but Smuggs is usually less crowded and less expensive than flashier resorts like Stowe. It has a homey feel like you could unleash the kids and let them roam on their own all day.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
That 25% on the loonie is not helping. Might be cheaper to fly West...interior BC?
Well then we're corralling 2 kids through the airport and transfers and all that. Easier just to pile into the Family Truckster and plow through for 6 hours to wherever... Maybe it'll be Tremblant..dollar is not great for sure..

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Does Jay still take Loonies at par?

Haven't been but have heard all good things.

As you probably know, February or March are a better bet for snow. I wouldn't spend $7,000 on a December trip.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
LOL, you would have to declare the cash at the border just to buy a week's worth of ski tickets for a family.

Novaloafah

Should've paid attention to that lesson.
Skier
I'm not knocking Smuggler's but with the loonie the way it is, maybe go past Tremblant a couple hours to MSA. Tickets there are good for le Massif and Stoneham. I had a fun 5 days there in a condo. Lifts and infrastructure are pretty modern too. If you need an off day you got Old Quebec.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't think so. And it was only on CASH.

My suggestion would be to check out the Snow Show in October for some deals.

Jay still takes CAD at par, for lift tickets and accommodation only . Cash only. And if you book a room ahead, the first night on your Visa is USD, the remainder you can pay in CAD cash money.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
I think msa is a stretch. Long drive. If Jay does at par that may be a consideration. Tremblant may be the best course. Sounds like smugglers is lacklustre..

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Jay has a big waterpark, movie theatre , skating rink, climbing gym, etc. that you may find offers something for the family experience. MSA isn't that much further a drive. (well , yes it is) but it is Quebec , and you have Massif just up the road.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you don't need to stay on the mountain then Saturday through Monday at Smugs might keep the crowds down then Tuesday through Thursday at Stowe would be pretty rad. That might set you back $2,000 and then another $2,000 for nicer accomidations. The notch road is closed in the winter so they're aboout an hour apart I think.

My sister is a good skier and she liked Smugs. They claim Black Hole is 53 degrees steep so you can put that notch in your stick.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Anybody have any intel? Seems a bit on the expensive side all things considered? Kids-oriented trip... I'm seeing $5k for a 2 bedroom condo and tickets included. Thoughts?

Its in the middle of nowhere, its usually EXTREMELY COLD, icy and like it was mentioned, the infrastructure is VERY old and crappy.

That said, they have some awesome uncrowded powder days when its good and the area is quite scenic.

Would I make travel trip plans in advance there if I lived in the northeast? Maybe, but I know what to expect.

They have some really nice pure north facing advanced terrain! And the vibe is way more chill than Stowe or Killington.

Last edited:

aubergine

Putting on skis
Skier
when we last went there, we had wind or lift issues, and it forced everyone onto one or two lifts. And with their ancient slow lifts it made it very hard to get any skiing done between the lines and lift speed. And this was years ago -- I don't think they have upgraded anything since then. our condo was excellent though, and the kids program was good (according to one of our cotravelers who brought his 12yo with us). we got so frustrated with the whole lift/line situation that the next day - despite holding smuggs day tickets as part of our condo package - we drove over to stowe and skiied there. paying for those lift tix $$$ stung though.

i realize it has its enthusiasts but I'm not one.

we lived in Grafton VT for a long time and liked easy skiing Okemo and quirky Bromley the best.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid