• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Smith vs Scott goggles

skiNorbert

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Hi,

I looking for really good everyday ski googles. After long search I have two candidates:

Smith Vice - White Vapor/ChromaPop Everyday Green
or
Scott GOGGLE UNLIMITED II OTG LS

Its a same price category, the Scotts are photocromatic while the Smith is not.
Have anyone any good experience with these two goggles?

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the Chromapop Everyday Red mirror, and use it most everyday. Great lens colour & definition

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Test them out to make sure it fits your face contours.
Then get a lens to your liking, and probably an extra one for flat light.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I honestly never had issues with today's googles fogging up, but I have 3 friends skiing with Scott googles, and all 3 are complaining they are fogging up. 2 different models (not exactly this one in question), all with double lenses, and all with fog issues. So based on that, I would go the other way (read: Smith). But I don't have personal experience with any of them, so take this with a bit of reserve.

TS
S

skiNorbert

Skier
Thanks very much fot the advices, probably I will go in Smith way. Anyway if you know any other good goggles in this price range please share it. Its really hard to find the correct goggles, there are tons of very similar products in the market.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had a Smith with the Chromapop Evereday green, and it is indeed one of the most versatile lenses out there, very good for a single, non photochromic lens.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
If you are prone to having your goggles fog up, then go with a spherical lens as their bulbous shape means the lens is farther from the eye and the increased air space means the chance of fogged lenses is reduced when compared to cylindrical lenses.

When lenses are manufactured they stretch and get thinner at the bend point. Spherical lenses are bent in 2 directions and thus remain the same thickness throughout, eliminating the distortion of looking through different lens thicknesses.

Most cheaper cylindrical lenses are bent in one direction and are not optically correct. However, Smith make their own lenses so they manufacture the cylindrical goggle lens so it is thicker at the bend points when flat so when bent into the cylindrical shape they get thinner at the bend point and thus end up being the same thickness as the rest of the lens after being bent into a cylindrical shape.

The short version of he above: If you don't have chronic fogged lens problems, then a Smith cylindrical goggle will cost less and still be optically correct.

Edit: Smith Chromapop is awesome as it really does enhance clarity and contrast and makes colours pop.

James

Out There
Instructor
You really should try them on. I got a Scott LG model last season. I was going on a trip and needed a new goggle quick because I couldn’t buy a lens fast for my reg goggle. I always wanted the LG because I liked the lens change style. Guy in the store gave me a good price so I got it.

I just find the view way too constrictive. I’m always looking into the blocked off area of the lens. Perhaps if this was 10 yrs ago, it wouldn’t bother me so much. I’ve gotten used to the wide view.
I’ll wear it if I have to, but not thrilled.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
Since you're asking about an OTG goggle model, let's ask the question - are you wearing glasses under these goggles?

Because while today's goggles are pretty good about not fogging up, the glasses underneath are far more prone to fogging. An OTG goggle is designed for clearance around the temple of your glasses, and is generally a better choice if you wear glasses. Certain lens materials fog up easier too. Lightweight plastic lens fog more readily than glass or polycarbonate. I did about 30 years of research in this subject before getting LASIK in 2004.

TS
S

skiNorbert

Skier
Finally I had a chance to try
Smith Vice ChromaPop Everyday Green
and
Oakley Canopy Prizm Sapphire Iridium

Both goggles were fantastic,
I think there is no difference in lens. Both have very similar VLT and similar pink tint. I cannot make a decision which one highlighted more the details on the track. I used them in bluebird day.

The goggles have few major differences:
- The cloth included with Smith goggles have much higher quality, removes fingerprints a lot easier, its a much better than Oakleys cloth which looks very cheap.
- The Smith goggles have higher field of view.
- Personally I think wearing Oakley goggles give me a very bit more comfort, but I am not sure in this.

TS
S

skiNorbert

Skier
I have Smith over the glasses Knowledge Turbo Fan goggles. The fan works well to keep my glasses clear from fog.
Sapphire Iridium, ChromaPop Green that is pink????
I miss the old days when there was the Famous Scott Tint and everything else ogsmile
Yes it surprised me too.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Finally I had a chance to try
Smith Vice ChromaPop Everyday Green
and
Oakley Canopy Prizm Sapphire Iridium

Both goggles were fantastic,
I think there is no difference in lens. Both have very similar VLT and similar pink tint. I cannot make a decision which one highlighted more the details on the track. I used them in bluebird day.

The goggles have few major differences:
- The cloth included with Smith goggles have much higher quality, removes fingerprints a lot easier, its a much better than Oakleys cloth which looks very cheap.
- The Smith goggles have higher field of view.
- Personally I think wearing Oakley goggles give me a very bit more comfort, but I am not sure in this.

Its hard for us to say what's more comfortable.
That is where you need to decide what feels better on your face now that you've chosen the optics you want.
Oakley and Smith both have incredible optics.

I've also used POC, Zeal, and Bolle with good results.
Currently, I'm wearing a Zeal Portal

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Another vote for Smith.
Had Scott (do not remember the name-the ones with that quick lens change system-the ones on my profile pic) for a couple of years and they worked great, but Smith lenses are on another level.

Only Prizm can compare to Chromapop in my opinion.

I have used I/O 7 and Flight Deck in parallel for the last couple of seasons and have been super happy with both but I changed them for M4 just because of the simplicity of lens change.

James

Out There
Instructor
I have a Scott LG I bought last season before a trip when I needed a low light lens. Couldn’t get just the lens for my goggle, so bought the whole Scott as I’d wanted one since they came out due to lens change system.

Have to say I’m disappointed with the view out. Somewhat restrictive. At least compared to my Oakley Canopy, and Flight Feck goggs.

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
Just a suggestion. Try your goggles on WITH your HELMENT on.

A buddy of mine wears a Smith Vantage (MIPS) helmet with brim, and the brim pushes down on his goggles which pushes down on the bridge of his nose. So he is looking for new smaller goggles to pair with his helmet.

My wife and I both wear the Smith Vantage helmet with MIPS but use the Oakley original A-Frame and have no similar problems.
1584297134825.png

My guess is that there would also be no problem with the newer version which is the Oakley A-Frame 2.0

1584297053007.png

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My wife and I both wear the Smith Vantage helmet with MIPS but use the Oakley original A-Frame and have no similar problems.
View attachment 96741

If you have ever wondered if this Coroid+MIPS thingy works in real life situation where you will depend on them in protecting your brain, I have good news for you.
It works.

This season a guy from our company wearing it (Smith Vantage) fell and hit his head so hard that the external shell separated from the Coroid beneath. The guy took absolutely no damage whatsoever. I fear to think what would have happened had he been with some other lid.

I myself moved to Quantum and although it is relatively heavy, not changing it for anything.

Sponsor