• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

For Sale Smith Redmond Sunglasses 2 pair - Chromapop Polarized Ignitor Lenses (1 pair NIB)

markjs

Skiing is believing
Skier
My mistake is your gain. I bought a pair of Smith Redmond Chromapop polarized sunglasses with the Ignitor lens and loved them so much I bought another pair as a backup since this style has been discontinued. Much to my chagrin, I discovered that polarized lenses give me headaches. I've never had pair of polarized sunglasses before so I didn't know it would affect me. I tried out a pair of Maui Jim's that were polarized and had the same experience. So I have 2 pair of these, one pair never worn and new in box and the other maybe 5-6 times. Both frames are black, both with cases. They sell for $249 at REI, while they have stock.

$250 for both or separately $150 for the new pair and $125 for the used pair. If you're in the greater Reno-Tahoe area drop-off can be arranged.

IMG_0426.jpeg

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you haven't found a pair of sunglasses that works for you; try a pair of revo sunglasses, specifically their glass lens.

The company has been bought and sold, but recently relaunched new sunglasses with the glass lenses that uses their old (superior) technology. They still will be polarized but they might not have the issues and problems you are talking about. Don't bother though with sunglasses with polycarb (plastic) lens options; those are not going to be remarkaby distinct or different from other premium non-glass lenses.

If you want to get specific, you can take a look at buying older vintage Revo sunglasses from their H20 line (via ebay search: Revo h2o). I personally stay on lookout for a specific vintage Revo mnodel that fits me, with variety of lenses that work. To the level of obsession that I've set an ebay alert when someone puts a pair up for sale I snatch it up and stockpile so I have a supply to last the rest of my life; probably not unlike certain folks who are buying rear entry old boots. Of course, buying a 20 yearold used pair of glasses, the condition of the lens varies and it's a crapshoot of condition.

Anyway, check out Revo glass lenses a try if you haven't found an alternate pair of sunglasses you like yet.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Hard to find sun glasses that aren't polarized. Maui Jim and similar have some blue block on the spectrum. Might be that causing the headaches.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For golf, I had trouble following ball flight with polarized lenses as you're actually using glare to help spot the ball in the air.

So I have some non-polarized ray bans (with glass lenses) when I play golf. Rayban is pretty good at indicating polarized/non-polarized.
Though again, my experience is with vintage ray bans, and I don't know what their lenses are like now. My ray ban lenses are G15/B15 if that helps you find this classic lens.

Last edited:
TS
markjs

markjs

Skiing is believing
Skier
I have had these photo chromatic, rose colored, glass Serengeti's for 15+ years that I love, but they don't make that lens (or frame) anymore. I'm preparing for the day those finally bite the dust and have been looking, never occurred to me that polarization would give me headaches. I tried some glass (polarized) Costa's and got the same deal, quality of the lens doesn't seem to matter. Oakley does have non-polarized Prizm lenses, going to try those out.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sounds a little like me and my revo.

If you know what you want, and that item was widely sold, definitely try eBay and setting up an alert.
Especially if you still have your old pair and it has identifying model number or frame number you can make out. But you may need to buy a few pairs to get better condition parts, and/or buy just for spare part and frankenstein something together.

Oh the ebay pricing will be all over the place too. Some people won't know there's a market for this, and put up a pair they found at goodwill or they hustled in a bulk TSA auction and put a pair up for $40. But on the flipside some other sunglasses reseller/collector will put up a display case model and hype it up as extremely rare one of it's kind and try to get a buyer for $500.

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I will second the choice of Ray-Bans, have had mine for years. They are glass lenses and they are sun sensor getting lighter or darker as needed and not polarized. The ski shop I worked in sold both the Ray-Ban and Revo. At that time Revo was using the same material for their lenses as the visor on the astronaut's helmets. BTW the Revo sales rep for the shop also was a Dynamic sale rep.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
If you're going with a glass lens for skiing, Vuarnet is my favorite, by far..

Just stay away from these models..

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have had these photo chromatic, rose colored, glass Serengeti's for 15+ years that I love, but they don't make that lens (or frame) anymore. I'm preparing for the day those finally bite the dust and have been looking, never occurred to me that polarization would give me headaches. I tried some glass (polarized) Costa's and got the same deal, quality of the lens doesn't seem to matter. Oakley does have non-polarized Prizm lenses, going to try those out.
Yea keep in mind there's in the sunglasses industry, there's one big conglomerate where many brands are all really owned by 1 group, and all the lenses technology is shared they will decide to use and/or rename it for different brands; the Frames and the Brand are really the distinguishing point as fashion.

Luxxotica owns Oakley and RayBan, and since 2018 grouped with Essilor (which owns fhe Costa you mentioned); so all those brans have access and use the same lenses and factories. They also owned Revo from 1999-2013 so the lenses from the bulk of that time period you can suspect may turn out to be the same too.

Serengeti is owned by Bolle, and Maui Jim is not under Luxxotica either, so those are independent.

Last edited:

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Check out Randolph Engineering. Made in the USA and they are one of the suppliers to the armed forces.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January