• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Smith I/O Mag - worth it to upgrade?

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
These came to my attention today.

It looks like they have a different mechanism than the regular I/O Mag and they have a new lens shape. It's supposedly a cross between a spherical and cylindrical and offers less distortion and a larger FOV.

Last edited:

mikel

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Got my 4D Mags last season. I have to say I am disliking them more and more each time I use them. Maybe there is less distortion looking straight ahead but if you look down different story. Not sure if it's my mask(s) or how I'm wearing them but these fog up easily. Last weekend I had the fog actually turn to an icy type crust on the inside of the lens. Yes the lenses are extremely easy to change especially compared to my I/O 7s. Yes I think the contrast and natural color is really good. What I do like about them most is the low light yellow storm lens. I went with those mostly because of the low light thread and all the input there. Already had the ChromaPop rose storm with my I/O 7s and I have found the yellow works better for my eyes.

Not sure what I will do going forward but I'm thinking Abom may be in my future.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Got my 4D Mags last season. I have to say I am disliking them more and more each time I use them. Maybe there is less distortion looking straight ahead but if you look down different story. Not sure if it's my mask(s) or how I'm wearing them but these fog up easily. Last weekend I had the fog actually turn to an icy type crust on the inside of the lens. Yes the lenses are extremely easy to change especially compared to my I/O 7s. Yes I think the contrast and natural color is really good. What I do like about them most is the low light yellow storm lens. I went with those mostly because of the low light thread and all the input there. Already had the ChromaPop rose storm with my I/O 7s and I have found the yellow works better for my eyes.

Not sure what I will do going forward but I'm thinking Abom may be in my future.

Thanks for the feedback. I've been wearing Smith goggles for a long time but maybe if I want to go with a mag lens change I'll to look at other brands. I'm in no rush. I have the CP yellow storm as well and it works best for my eyes as well.

Kbat117

Doing snow dances
Skier
I have a lot of experience with the io7, and the vice, (as well as a little time with the io and iox). Recently got the io mag xl and have been very happy with them. They look great, lense change is easy, the field of view is undistorted and wide, and the lenses are of the smith quality we know and love. My GF is using the standard io mag and also has no complaints. We are both pairing with smith helmets.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I change goggles, not lenses and I have a quiver of less expensive Smith CP cylindrical lens goggles. I also find the yellow Storm CP lens goggle to be very good in the fog compared to my rose Everyday CP.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid