• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
https://www.skiessentials.com/

SkiFree

Chris
Skier
Great review. Have you tested the photochromic lenses by Smith?

mike_m

Instructor
Skier
And the new Smith Chromapop Storm Yellow lens (65% VLT) has replaced the Blue Sensor Mirror for storm/cloudy/flat light conditions. Excellent. Better the the lens it replaced. (And much better than the Chromapop Storm that came out last year.)

TS
SkiEssentials

SkiEssentials

Slashing Turns and Prices
SkiTalk Sponsor

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I just special ordered a storm yellow from my local shop (lens only as I already have a pair of the goggles). Apparently the storm rose flash is not yet available for the I/O-X. I have a real issue skiing in flat light conditions, so I want to try these first before I worry about the bright light ones. Especially since they are not cheap!

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
For those on a budget the Smith Squad goggle is worth checking out. It's lenses are non elliptical but still optically correct and it comes with one Chromapop lens and one non Chromapop lens for less than $100.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
And the new Smith Chromapop Storm Yellow lens (65% VLT) has replaced the Blue Sensor Mirror for storm/cloudy/flat light conditions. Excellent. Better the the lens it replaced. (And much better than the Chromapop Storm that came out last year.)

Looks like it is a separate purchase and not part of a goggle purchase. For Squad only and I want Squad XL. First world problems.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yes. I called Smith customer service earlier today and the low light lens that is packaged/installed in the goggle products is the Chromapop Storm Rose Flash. The Storm Yellow Flash lens is only available as a replacement lens.

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm going to post my one complaint with the Smith Goggle so people are aware. I purchases a few pairs last year and realized a problem with using their lifetime warranty lens. They have very stringent cleaning rules due to the special nature of the lens. You can never wipe, even with a micro fiber cloth they supply the inside of the lens, only the outside to remove smudges and never use any cleaning fluid on the lens or other form of moisture other than your breath. From the Smith page on the FAQ (https://www.smithoptics.com/ca/faq#lenses)

From there FAQ on the website:
Do not use any paper products, including Kleenex. To clean the outside of the goggle you can breathe on the lens to create moisture, do not use any other liquids. Clean the outside with a soft micro fiber cloth such as Smith's Smudgebuster but this should not be used on the inside of the lens if it becomes wet or damp since it can cause scratches. If you need to clean the inside of your lens use the Smith Cleaning Kit and dab your lens rather than wipe your lens, which can create scratches.".
This means many people that purchase them and did not read the full manual or touched the inside of the lens while learning to replace them actually do ruin their lens and it can void the warranty. I had a store not return the lens to Smith as they hadn't been cleaned properly inside. So when spending the $200.00 on the goggle you may wish to inquire about the cleaning kit and be sure to use it. If you are not likely to be so careful and like to wipe the lens when it fogs (i do) then consider a different type of lens that will maybe not be as nice or clear but will last through your normal care.

Last edited:

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Smith's advise to dab not wipe the inside goggle lens should apply even more so to all of their competitor's goggle companies who apply an anti fog coating to the lens. AFAIK Smith is the only one that impregnates their lens with their anti fog technology so unlike others it cannot be rubbed off.

Lady_Salina

Out on the slopes
Skier
Smith's advise to dab not wipe the inside goggle lens should apply even more so to all of their competitor's goggle companies who apply an anti fog coating to the lens. AFAIK Smith is the only one that impregnates their lens with their anti fog technology so unlike others it cannot be rubbed off.
Aah well, maybe i just need to buy the cheap ones that don't have the coating so I can wipe them when they fog lol

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
I have a real issue skiing in flat light conditions
There can be a lot of individuality about how one person's eyes react vs. another person's. It is a big help to try goggles. In a shop on a gray day, ask to take several to the window and see which picks up the contrast and light levels best for your eyes. It's kind'a like demoing skis or trying on helmets. Lots of good choices, but not all are good for each one of us.

Smith...great warranty, but...my Smith OTG Turbo goggles had a stretched out strap. I wanted to buy a new strap. They do not sell straps. They sell whole goggles. They said to mail in the goggles for a warranty exam. Rejected. Normal wear & tear. Duh. I originally asked to buy a strap. They do not sell straps. I saw a shop selling Smith goggles at end of season prices. I found a really cheap pair with exactly the strap that fit my goggles. Bought the goggles, harvested the strap, and threw the rest away. Works great.

L&AirC

PSIA Instructor and USSA Coach
Skier
I have the Smith blue sensor and the Chroma Pop Storm. Based on mike_m post in another thread, I bought the chroma pop storm yellow. This past Friday I was out and it was overcast all day. Around 3 in the afternoon it was very flat lit and I did a side by side with the Storm and Storm Yellow and it was obvious which one was the better choice - the Chroma Pop Storm Yellow.

It wasn't subtle. I could see shading and such better. I still want to try them at night. I do have a clear lens that I usually race with at night but I was so impressed, I'm willing to give them a try at night.

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
IO7 Chromapop WARNING

Watch out
in buying the IO7 goggles because they may not fit your helmet.

Example. Wife bought me new IO7 last year and I have/had a Smith Venue helmet. The goggles were over half an inch higher than my original IO goggle and did not fit as the brow of the helmet forced the goggles down over my nose and cut off my breathing. A very annoying aspect and intolerable when hiking, uphill traversing for those powder spots.

Spent yesterday trying helmets to see what fit with the IO7 goggle. Tried on a whole bunch of Smith helmets and K2, Bolle, Giro, Poc and some others. I found one helmet that worked with the IO7 and that was the Smith Variance. The helmet was the best fitting of all those I tried and also fit well with the IO7 goggles. I liked the goggles so much I bought a new helmet $180.00 to fit my goggles.

Smith in my opinion is remiss in not publishing the fact that their goggles don't fit their helmets. Yes, I know it is easy to say, "Well stupid take you helmet when you buy goggles-or vice versa." Yep that would work but ignoring the fact that some people buy online is ridiculous in this day and age.

WARNING. Still stands. Some Smith goggles don't fit Smith helmets. Be forewarned before you shell out money assuming that Smith has your welfare in mind.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
What are you talking about??? The goggle fits the helmet, it just doesn't fit on YOUR face. Not all goggles fit all people with all helmets, that is true for EVERY manufacturer of EVERY goggle and EVERY helmet. There is no warning needed, other than 'Hey, guess what- stuff that you wear or your body needs to fit your body'.

It's not like Smith doesn't tell you that the i/Os is smaller than the i/O which is smaller than the i/O7 which is smaller than the i/Ox. They are different sizes. If you owned a size medium jacket and it fit then bought a size large jacket in a different style from the same brand... it might not fit. I don't feel clothing manufacturers need warnings that different sizes may fit differently. (But maybe this is where society has gone?)

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I will stick with what I stated because it is true.

In fairness, don't you also have to state that you received the goggles as a gift, so you never got the chance to try the goggles on your face while wearing helmet prior to purchase?