• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

James

Out There
Instructor
I was on 90-45-90 when I first figured it out :huh:

Flipping weird feeling, innit? Like using your boots to float.
Was kidding. If you get to neutral and pivot right then without moving in too quickly all is good. Depending on the snow. Then also once the tips are committed they can be further steered in as momentum helps the whole process.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Tipping and riding is what I'm trying to drill in as something I just do rather than having to mentally think about doing it.

My natural inclination in choppy snow when I get nervous about my skis getting tossed around or caught up is to rush the turn, which only make it a million times worse.
Work on your tipping in chop on shallow terrain. The more you relax and flex the smooth the ride.

tinymoose

Getting off the lift
Skier
Work on your tipping in chop on shallow terrain. The more you relax and flex the smooth the ride.

I'm in PA so my steeps are pretty limited anyhow, but I've been forcing myself the last two years to mostly ski my race skis, even on less than ideal days when there is gonna be a lot of chop and soft snow. They give me more feedback than my Yumis when I'm not setting an edge through the stuff. The tails on those skis will catch quickly and noticeably if I start trying to pivot/steer the turn.

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I ride carvers all of the time. I enjoy the response from them. Keep after it those race skis keep you honest. We are getting almost 2 feet a day. So it's time for a wider ski, like 2x as wide. Lol

Sponsor