• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Smartwool vs...?

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ok, I've been an emphatic proponent of Smartwool in general...and my Smartwool Zip-T in particular. Now I need another baselayer, and I SHOULD just get another Smartwool NTS 250. But being human, this seem boring, and I'm wondering if there is another, just-as-good alternative. The one thing I might like would be a chest pocket, since my iPhone poots out as soon as it gets cold. If I could put in in my baselayer, that might keep it warm.

So anyway...anyone have experience with alternatives? Icebreaker any different/better? Would a newer poly baselayer be better than the old ones in terms of stink, etc? Or should I just go with the tried-and-true? It just feels like buying another pair of khakis or a blue oxford shirt.

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
Ok, I've been an emphatic proponent of Smartwool in general...and my Smartwool Zip-T in particular. Now I need another baselayer, and I SHOULD just get another Smartwool NTS 250. But being human, this seem boring, and I'm wondering if there is another, just-as-good alternative. The one thing I might like would be a chest pocket, since my iPhone poots out as soon as it gets cold. If I could put in in my baselayer, that might keep it warm.

So anyway...anyone have experience with alternatives? Icebreaker any different/better? Would a newer poly baselayer be better than the old ones in terms of stink, etc? Or should I just go with the tried-and-true? It just feels like buying another pair of khakis or a blue oxford shirt.
I look at it like the old adage. If it works why change. Boredom be damned !!!

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
I can’t help much. I love my Smartwool quarter zips. I also have an UnderArmour shirt with the waffle interior that is very warm, and it doesn’t stink. It’s almost too warm, though, for many days when I want more flexibility in layering.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
My best under layers are my Victorinox layers. I have a red one and a neon yellow one. It's a shame they are discontinuing their clothing line.

I swear by my slime green smartwool ski socks.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
*shrug* if we're talking baselayers you already know my vote. Wicks enough to wear cycling at 50 F+, warm enough to wear under a level 3 fleece and shell at -10F, compression enough to wear under a race suit or skin suit. I do confess they smell a bit on the third day, in spite of all the carbon :/

They do have a merino line; I've given it as gifts but never worn it.

Last edited:

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I used smartwool for years, liked it, but not very durable.

Last year I tried an or zip part wool, part synthetic, liked it a lot.
Much more durable, didn't smell.

Couldn't tell it wasn't all wool

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ve been sold on Ibex, I prefer their Merino wool baselayer and mid-layer products to Smartwool.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Stick w/what works. I'm going full circle back to wool, I've been swapping out my poly-pro for Icebreaker brand,

I found a site in Australia that delivered to me in less than a week! Haven't used them yet.. http://www.wool-underwear.com/

QueueCT

Getting off the lift
Skier
I’ve been sold on Ibex, I prefer their Merino wool baselayer and mid-layer products to Smartwool.

Agree, I've been using their tops and bottoms (3/4 length) for years. Unfortunately, they're going out of business. Stock up if you need to. Other companies sell Merino as well.

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
Agree, I've been using their tops and bottoms (3/4 length) for years. Unfortunately, they're going out of business. Stock up if you need to. Other companies sell Merino as well.

This isn’t the last word in Ibex. They have interest from a large technical sportswear producer, and some Vermont investors are looking to keep these jobs in Vermont. Stay tuned!

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm using the Paradox merino stuff that you get at Costco. It is very nice. and quite inexpensive too.

Christy

Putting on skis
Skier
I have tons of Ibex, Icebreaker and Smartwool. I think I prefer Ibex and Icebreaker, but that may just have to do with the particular garments. This stuff is pricey most of my purchases have been determined by what is on sale or clearance, so rather than setting out to get an Ibex midlayer, I just look for a merino midlayer then see what is on sale (and there is always something on sale). Patagonia capilene products are great too and don't stink (for me) but I'd still give the edge to wool.

OldJeep

Getting off the lift
Skier
Under armor 4.0 for me. Almost too warm, and easy to take care of.

eggraid101

Booting up
Skier
I love anything wool for a base layer, I had a midweight smartwool shirt for years, then got a lighter Patagonia wool baselayer last season. It's nice, but a little lighter than I'd like.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
ts3c-fuxia.png
The color is quite, uh..... colorful, but you get the abs for free!

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Minus 33 and Duckworth make good base layers if you are looking for a smartwool alternative. Although SW makes righteous gear.

TS
tch

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey, Cantunamunch,
Where do you buy the SIXS stuff?

Sponsor

Staff online