• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Smart Trainer, Peloton, Echelon or?

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This weekend’s adventures in Sisters demonstrated just how out of shape I really am and I’m looking to make an investment is a setup for home. Through mid-August I can pretty reliably get outside on bikes for workouts but what I’ve learned is that with school, work, and lack of daylight hours I can’t reliably get in workouts outside and even the rec center has limited hours that don’t always work for me.

Key needs: small footprint, low noise, ease of use, ability to multitask (aka study) while getting in a workout. My concern with a smart trainer is having to take my bike on and off during times when I can get in an outdoor ride here and there. It means lugging the bike upstairs, removing wheels, etc. The Peloton gets good reviews and is all the rage of course but it is $$$ and I haven’t figured out (although I haven’t really looked) to see about riding and not paying attention to a workout. I suppose I could just turn on a recorded workout? Echelon is a step below Peloton but I don’t know of anyone personally who has one so I hesitate to spend that kind of money without any personal feedback. General internet reviews from totally unknown people aren’t my favorite, especially spending this kind of cash.

I’m also open to other suggestions but if people have input on the above I’d appreciate it.

LouD-Truckee

no drivel here....⛷️⛷️⛷️
Skier
While I've been using rollers for years.... and still do.... a smart trainer hooked up with Zwift or TrainerRoad is what I'd recommend.... I have a Wahoo Kicker, hooked up with Zwift, but son uses with app on his phone (I think the wahoo app).... I think it's a big plus using your own bike on it as well..... the Kicker gets the most use in our house..... with rollers in second..... but don't know about studying, etc., while riding on them....

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Multi tasking? = Doing several things poorly all at the same time.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Multi tasking? = Doing several things poorly all at the same time.

I’m not going to argue about this. When I’m in school I simply don’t have the time to not multitask if I want to get workouts in regularly. Because I couldn’t multitask this semester for other reasons I simply didn’t get in many workouts which I’m paying for now. If I have to chose during the school year the workouts have to be the ones to go, I don’t have an option unless I want to lose my scholarship and employer tuition assistance ($33k per year) and risk future employment which I don’t.

@LouD-Truckee how easy/hard/frustrating do you find swapping out bikes on the Kickr?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
This weekend’s adventures in Sisters demonstrated just how out of shape I really am and I’m looking to make an investment is a setup for home. Through mid-August I can pretty reliably get outside on bikes for workouts but what I’ve learned is that with school, work, and lack of daylight hours I can’t reliably get in workouts outside and even the rec center has limited hours that don’t always work for me.

Key needs: small footprint, low noise, ease of use, ability to multitask (aka study) while getting in a workout. My concern with a smart trainer is having to take my bike on and off during times when I can get in an outdoor ride here and there. It means lugging the bike upstairs, removing wheels, etc. The Peloton gets good reviews and is all the rage of course but it is $$$ and I haven’t figured out (although I haven’t really looked) to see about riding and not paying attention to a workout. I suppose I could just turn on a recorded workout? Echelon is a step below Peloton but I don’t know of anyone personally who has one so I hesitate to spend that kind of money without any personal feedback. General internet reviews from totally unknown people aren’t my favorite, especially spending this kind of cash.

I’m also open to other suggestions but if people have input on the above I’d appreciate it.

If you are not going to be riding outside constantly then the Wahoo Kickr Smart Trainer is awesome.

Now Wahoo offers this one which allows you to use your bike with the rear wheel: https://zwift.com/shop/product/waho...uqIitYFd2kk0SDS0XquL43ZfUqBgm2FwaAjJREALw_wcB

Looks really nice

In a few years you will be making big money! Keep at it!

LouD-Truckee

no drivel here....⛷️⛷️⛷️
Skier
@LouD-Truckee how easy/hard/frustrating do you find swapping out bikes on the Kickr?

it's the same as removing and replacing the rear wheel.... not a bad skill to have and practice ? ..... keep your eye on the prize..... I've been riding all types of trainers for many years.... they all suck.... but the Wahoo/Zwift combo "sucks at a high level" :D

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
it's the same as removing and replacing the rear wheel.... not a bad skill to have and practice ? ..... keep your eye on the prize..... I've been riding all types of trainers for many years.... they all suck.... but the Wahoo/Zwift combo "sucks at a high level" :D

Oh, I know how to do it but I also know that I tend toward getting annoyed with those things so I’m trying to be realistic with whether I will.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I mean, the whole point of the Peloton is the giant screen and subscription fee to follow somebody somewhere else instructing the class. The bikes are good..but..you're ponying up a lot of dough for stuff you sound like you don't want. Rollers..yeah I get it but they're more about technique really..I rode them for a few years but...not sure I would now. Smart trainer..that's what I'd do but it sounds like you're reluctant to be moving your bike around. So what about a plain old decent spin bike?? $400 and you can get a proper saddle for it and use your cycling shoes with a cheese pair of SPD pedals for $20. You can adjust them to fit pretty decent. You want to do other stuff besides watch the spin class so you'd be able to watch videos or listen to podcasts or read literature. They're not the best cycling experience but if you're zone-guy/gal like me, you don't need the stuff to keep you interested in working out. Up to you.

scott43

Skier
I mean..as has been mentioned, it's really about how often you're swapping the bike in and out. Guaranteed you're having to wash your hands after swapping out the bike. That can be annoying for some. And if you're not really very mechanical/don't do it often it can be annoying. I was a bike mechanic for years and it annoyed me at times..
Having said that, Wahoo/Zwift is what I'd do..

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm with you on not hooking up my own bike to a trainer apparatus. Different strokes and all that, but I'd rather get fat than drag my bike upstairs, etc., etc..

What's your budget? My wife and I share a Kettler Racer 7. Not cheap, and nothing fancy in terms of display or connectivity, just a really high quality, quiet bike that's easy to adjust, and actually has enough resistance and stability for me to do standing stuff.

Looked like you had some AMAZING dirt in Sister this past weekend, from the race photos I saw!

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
A friend of ours bought a Sunny health bike on Amazon for under $400. She just raves about it compared to the fortune you pay for a Peloton. Somehow she was able to download several of the Peloton training videos onto her tablet, and that’s what she uses to work out to.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I mean..as has been mentioned, it's really about how often you're swapping the bike in and out. Guaranteed you're having to wash your hands after swapping out the bike. That can be annoying for some. And if you're not really very mechanical/don't do it often it can be annoying. I was a bike mechanic for years and it annoyed me at times..
Having said that, Wahoo/Zwift is what I'd do..

I'm with you on not hooking up my own bike to a trainer apparatus. Different strokes and all that, but I'd rather get fat than drag my bike upstairs, etc., etc..

What's your budget? My wife and I share a Kettler Racer 7. Not cheap, and nothing fancy in terms of display or connectivity, just a really high quality, quiet bike that's easy to adjust, and actually has enough resistance and stability for me to do standing stuff.

Looked like you had some AMAZING dirt in Sister this past weekend, from the race photos I saw!

At least some understand why I’m reluctant. My retired father seems to forget that I don’t have all the time on my hands. Peloton is probably the top of my budget.

The dirt in Sisters was incredible although the muddy first mile was a bit daunting to this desert dweller. I have some impressive bruises developing from my attempt to endo (saved it) but otherwise just great memories. I’ll be back next year, hopefully in much better shape with a few less pounds to carry around.

A friend of ours bought a Sunny health bike on Amazon for under $400. She just raves about it compared to the fortune you pay for a Peloton. Somehow she was able to download several of the Peloton training videos onto her tablet, and that’s what she uses to work out to.

Peloton has a digital only subscription so she probably does that. I’ll look at that bike as well.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Cycleops Phantom 5 used just down the road:
https://boulder.craigslist.org/spo/d/louisville-dont-buy-peloton-buy-this/6850781656.html

I've got a similar older model, the 400 Pro I bought off craigslist. Got a 300 Pro for my dad used as well.

They are rock solid indoor bikes and have a built-in PowerTap power meter (same company).

https://www.cycleops.com/product/phantom-5-indoor-cycle

Edit: 1) I don't know the seller, and 2) the bike is pretty and will look cool in your living room or wherever.

Last edited:

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
ability to multitask (aka study) while getting in a workout. . . . The Peloton gets good reviews and is all the rage of course but it is $$$ and I haven’t figured out (although I haven’t really looked) to see about riding and not paying attention to a workout. I suppose I could just turn on a recorded workout?

To study on a bike I think you'll want a "smart trainer" with "structured workouts."

I think a Peleton which is like a spinning class or Zwift which is like a virtual bike race would both be too distracting to study.

Using TrainerRoad or Rouvy for structured workouts with a smart trainer would allow you to start the workout then never have to adjust the resistance for intervals or be distracted by anything.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My indoor "structured" workouts for studying are simple:

1. Spin at a fairly low resistance for two to four pages of reading.

2. Pin it for one to two minutes.

3. Repeat until test time!

Kidding on that last one. Also -- full disclosure -- my studying days are a few years behind me.

SBrown

Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Kind of funny, I was looking at the same thing but on the waaaaaaay other end. Thinking about this one because it's cheap and folds up and gets great reviews.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Get any good brand small bike in nice shape on craigslist. You can move it out of the way if you have company. I do this so I can help my kids study or be around and watch the game or whatever. Any bike on hard level at a good speed will get you in better shape.

Mine is and older version of this model and I bought it for $150 (no exercise model included).

upload_2019-5-29_13-1-48.png

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Get any good brand small bike in nice shape on craigslist. You can move it out of the way if you have company. I do this so I can help my kids study or be around and watch the game or whatever. Any bike on hard level at a good speed will get you in better shape.

Mine is and older version of this model and I bought it for $150 (no exercise model included).

View attachment 74800

How much with the model? :D:cool:

Sponsor