• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Smart Trainer, Peloton, Echelon or?

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I'm not much for indoor riding but Zwift is all the rage for the Triathlon nerds I hang out with. Buy a cheap used bike and use it as a dedicated trainer with the Wahoo Kickr - make sure the cassette will fit on the Wahoo then you don't have to buy another one. If you need to multitask you could set up a reading table that could hold a book (do they still make those?) or an iPad.

Ross Biff

The older I get, the faster I was....
Skier
I'm not much for indoor riding but Zwift is all the rage for the Triathlon nerds I hang out with. Buy a cheap used bike and use it as a dedicated trainer with the Wahoo Kickr - make sure the cassette will fit on the Wahoo then you don't have to buy another one. If you need to multitask you could set up a reading table that could hold a book (do they still make those?) or an iPad.
Totally agree with the cheap bike on a trainer set up. I use my wife's 25 year old GT Talera 26" " MTB with the front wheel removed, the forks turned backwards and sitting on a home made wooden stand and an old road bike rear wheel. It doesn't matter that the brakes don't line up with the wheel...just remove them! This set up has a much smaller foot print than a complete bike and it solves the issue of putting a bike in and out of the trainer. I also have a Velcro covered bracket on the bars for my Velcro backed tablet which I Chromecast to a basic tv to encourage me to ride more than 30 minutes without giving up! All set up in the garage.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
In the end, I pulled the trigger on the Peloton. I know myself with moving a bike up and down and finding a cheap bike to throw on a trainer was more than I wanted to deal with so I paid for convenience. It was delivered today, the set up was quick and easy and first ride done. So far I’m happy!

82D98BE7-A202-40E3-A483-C29C19E08F25.jpeg
60E52F05-0E7B-423A-9D27-545C5DA24245.jpeg

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Hey YOU! Go sweat in the corner!

;-)

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Congrats!

What's your plan to study while the drill sergeant is yelling at you to go harder? Is watts the ranking on the leaderboard?

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Congrats!

What's your plan to study while the drill sergeant is yelling at you to go harder? Is watts the ranking on the leaderboard?

I’ll do either scenic or just ride when I’m actually studying. Total watts output is how they rank the leaderboard.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I think you may need something with a program rather than just a spin bike to be able to multitask.
I say that based on my experience at the gym, where I read recreationally during my workout. On the stairmaster, the equipment sets the pace and I am fine. On a bike, I pedal about 20% slower when I am reading than when I am paying attention to my speed.

edit - posted while reading page 1.
I see you bought a peleton. Have you figured out a book holder?

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’ll do either scenic or just ride when I’m actually studying. Total watts output is how they rank the leaderboard.

Sorry, I misspoke, it ranks by total kj of output.

I think you may need something with a program rather than just a spin bike to be able to multitask.
I say that based on my experience at the gym, where I read recreationally during my workout. On the stairmaster, the equipment sets the pace and I am fine. On a bike, I pedal about 20% slower when I am reading than when I am paying attention to my speed.

edit - posted while reading page 1.
I see you bought a peleton. Have you figured out a book holder?

I understand your point about a program rather than just spinning but I figure something is better than nothing and it will be used intermittently during study sessions and then as stress relief so sometimes I'll use the classes to keep me accountable and increase fitness.

I haven't worked on a book holder but I just grabbed a textbook and it props nicely on the screen and rests on the arm that holds the screen. Shouldn't be an issue.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I thought I'd update this thread since I just hit my 100th ride this morning which is a big deal in Peloton land. Anyhow, this pic shows my 1st ride and my 94th to see the progress in a couple 45 minute rides and it also shows a couple 60 minute rides, including today's which was a simulation of the 4th hour of climbing Haleakala volcano that the instructor did last year. I nearly puked at the end of it but I survived. I'm seeing great improvements in my fitness even though I don't often get to ride longer than 30 minutes. I promised myself I would ride 13 out of 16 class days this semester and so far I've ridden 12 of 12. I did just purchase a tray that will hold a book or computer for when I do want ride and read or do other school work. Generally, when I do that I do a Just Spin and try to keep my cadence up but keep resistance relatively low. I don't view those rides as challenges, more just to keep me moving. To say this was a good purchase for me is an understatement.

34D20380-FED2-477F-943F-B0B5B6103AA8.jpg

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
We've got a Peloton too - and love it. For sure get the extended warranty - our screen just went out at 10 months. I don't ride as often as you do - the 100th ride is a ways off yet.

Great numbers improvement - your power output is going up steadily and that's what you want to see. Weight down too I bet? Power to weight ratio is THE metric in cycling. I'm trying to hit ~3 by age 50. Right now a shade under 2 which is pretty low. I need to ride more.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^Those kJ/kcal numbers make no sense unless they're doing some sort of metabolic estimator

I've kind of wondered about that but I honestly haven't paid much attention to calorie burn. Right now this is about fitness and stress relief.

We've got a Peloton too - and love it. For sure get the extended warranty - our screen just went out at 10 months. I don't ride as often as you do - the 100th ride is a ways off yet.

Great numbers improvement - your power output is going up steadily and that's what you want to see. Weight down too I bet? Power to weight ratio is THE metric in cycling. I'm trying to hit ~3 by age 50. Right now a shade under 2 which is pretty low. I need to ride more.

Yep, the power output is what I am really happy with right now. I can feel it in my general strength and expect it will make for a better ski season. Weight would be down if I weren't full on eating my stress and emotions right now. I have some pretty sucky shit going on right now in addition to work and law school. I've been happy to basically maintain. I've been meaning to call about the EW and will try to get it done this week.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Weight would be down if I weren't full on eating my stress and emotions right now. I have some pretty sucky shit going on right now in addition to work and law school

Hey - if you can do life AND work AND law school AND maintain weight AND keep your power improving on the bike - all before ski season (snow makes everything better!) you got this! Keep the faith and keep spinning. Totally agree on power output even my meager gains are felt on the real bike and on the running trails. Makes a huge difference and amen to proper stress processing (#sufferfests).

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I've kind of wondered about that but I honestly haven't paid much attention to calorie burn. Right now this is about fitness and stress relief. .

Quite right and well done.

FWIW the kJ number does correspond to the power shown - the kcal display is being scaled by some other factor, and the scaling is even variable for the same person so it's not just scaled to body weight. :huh:

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Quite right and well done.

FWIW the kJ number does correspond to the power shown - the kcal display is being scaled by some other factor, and the scaling is even variable for the same person so it's not just scaled to body weight. :huh:

I do use a heart rate monitoring with it so maybe something with that? Below are the links to full data of the government rides except the first ride as that didn’t have HR so I chose my next 45 minute ride. No pressure to review but you seem interested in the data.

https://members.onepeloton.com/prof...04ccf84a?utm_source=ios_app&utm_medium=in_app

[URL]https://members.onepeloton.com/profile/workouts/8b1a18e819ab4a67867b30d404134693?utm_source=ios_app&utm_medium=in_app

https://members.onepeloton.com/prof...4b464734?utm_source=ios_app&utm_medium=in_app

https://members.onepeloton.com/prof...efe1fa2c?utm_source=ios_app&utm_medium=in_app[/URL]

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Hey, just saw the latest Peleton commercial is blowing up the Internet.

What's your guys reaction?

My sense is the ad was definitely aimed at men. The reason I think that is that they have been playing this commercial nonstop during NFL games.

Not that women don't watch the NFL, but football ads outside the Superbowl tend to skew more to the male demographic.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Meh. I think that they throw that ad at anyone (gender notwithstanding) who (they think) doesn't already own a smart trainer and a Zwift/TR/Sufferfest subscription.

They are running it on several online platforms including YouTube and Hulu and it's triggered by anything to do with sports except cycling.

Cycling video? -> Fizik/Giro/Trek ad.

Skiing video -> Peloton ad.
Swimming video -> Peloton ad.
Formula E -> Car buying ad or occasional Peloton ad.
Polish saber -> Peloton ad.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
I do use a heart rate monitoring with it so maybe something with that? Below are the links to full data of the government rides except the first ride as that didn’t have HR so I chose my next 45 minute ride. No pressure to review but you seem interested in the data.

https://members.onepeloton.com/prof...04ccf84a?utm_source=ios_app&utm_medium=in_app
[URL]https://members.onepeloton.com/profile/workouts/8b1a18e819ab4a67867b30d404134693?utm_source=ios_app&utm_medium=in_app

https://members.onepeloton.com/prof...4b464734?utm_source=ios_app&utm_medium=in_app

https://members.onepeloton.com/prof...efe1fa2c?utm_source=ios_app&utm_medium=in_app[/URL]
Nice work! You are disciplined. Start taking power zone classes from Dennis and Matt. Join the powerzone pack Facebook group and do one of their six week programs. You'll see big improvement in your FTP following a structured program of rides hitting all your power zones and not just pinning every workout. I just followed you.