• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Small SUV recommendations

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
FWIW I have 256,000 miles on my Subaru Forester. When I get to 300K I’ll think about gettting something newer.
I'll put my money on your Forester not having a turbo.

I know someone who had a Forester and the first turbo went out under warranty. The second one went out at around 120K and it wasn't worth paying to have it fixed. Done with Suburus and turbos for life.

BLspruce2

Getting on the lift
Skier
The small SUV that I think shows great promise is the 2019 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid. It is suppose to get excellent fuel economy – an estimated 41/37/39 mpg combined compared to 32 combined mpg last year. It will be available early next year. I think this is going to be the segment leader and a game changer due to its great gas mileage.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
+1 on the RAV4. My wife had one for several years which she ran up to about 180k without any issues. Her sister and niece have also had great experience with them as well.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Volvo XC 70. Great car, any model year, for the most part.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
*shrug* I like my current turbo and didn't mind any of my previous ones. The turbo on the Dodge Colt outlasted the tranny; the turbo on the Isuzu I-mark outlasted three clutches*; the turbo on the 2.2 Charger outlasted the engine main seal. And all of those were primitive compared to anything now.

I was obsessive about oil changes then and still am now. :huh: We also did obligatory engine spool-down before shutting it off, anyone remember doing that in the 80s and early 90s?.

*yeh, OK, my then-gf mostly drove that one :D

Last edited:

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am on my second turbo car (BMW X1). My previous one was a Subaru WRX. No turbo problems with either. The turbos on the WRX have a pretty good record. Key is don't skip oil changes. Turbos are becoming more and more common for good reasons - better performance (especially low end torque) and better fuel economy. Between small turbo engines, hybrids, and EVs, the V6 is becoming less and less common.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yep, I'm fighting a losing war against the turbos. We'll be outnumbered soon due to the government conspiracy. :(

But in the OP's case, a turbo seems particularly crazy. A 19-year-old kid changing the oil every 3000 miles and cooling down the engine before shutting it off seems highly unlikely. Add that to the mixed reliability of the Juke, and it seems like a bad combo to me.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Any idea if they are going to pair the RAV4 hybrid with AWD?
Yes,

"All 2019 RAV4 Hybrids will continue to have standard all-wheel drive."

Unfortunately, RAV 4 Hybird will not have -

Dynamic Torque Vectoring All-Wheel Drive

"In addition to standard front-wheel drive, RAV4 gas models offer two types of available all-wheel drive. The new, segment- and Toyota-first, Dynamic Torque Vectoring All-Wheel Drive with Rear Driveline Disconnect comes standard on AWD-equipped Limited gas and Adventure grade models. It can direct up to 50 percent of engine torque to the rear wheels, as well as distribute it to the left or right rear wheel to enhance handling on or off pavement."

...but that's not all bad news because it does have a separate rear mounted electric motor so,

"RAV4 Hybrid: Enhanced All-Wheel Drive Capability

As with the AWD system in the previous RAV4 HV models, the new AWD version employs a separate rear-mounted electric motor to power the rear wheels when needed. The 2019 system comes standard on all RAV4 HV grades and increases total torque to the rear wheels by 30 percent compared to the previous system.

During on-road driving, distributing more driving force to the rear wheels helps suppress front wheel slip during off-the-line starts for optimal acceleration performance and stability. The system also helps reduce understeer during cornering for enhanced steering stability. Off-road, the increased rear-wheel torque helps provide powerful hill-climbing performance, even on rough terrain.

A driver-selectable Trail Mode helps make it possible to get unstuck by braking a spinning wheel and sending torque to the wheel with traction."

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My spouse has a CX-5 and I have an Outback. They are both excellent vehicles for Utah driving conditions. I really like the Carplay feature in the Subaru.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I love our Apple CarPlay. Just saying.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Fair enough. I noticed that, but if saving money is important, one can give up the power and still reach the destination (with a little patience). I kinda like the option of front wheel drive, four wheel drive or four wheel lock the RVR provides.

My brother bought an Mitsubishi RVR several years ago because it was the only SUV in its class where YOU get to select 4X4 prior to going down a sketchy road rather than wait for the computer to decide to go to AWD after it detects wheel slippage.

I have a AWD '06 Volvo XC70 and while it is a great driving and handling wagon it is a FWD car that decides on its own when to engage the rear axle. No surprise that the Volvo is no where near as capable on my 600' rough driveway as the '97 4Runner that it replaced. Recently after my neighbour plowed my driveway and with the temp right around freezing (worst temp for traction) I couldn't get up the driveway without chains.

Re turbos: '91 Dodge Cummins turbo diesel, owned since new.
'93 Toyota MR2 turbo, owned since 2000.
'06 Volvo XC 70 5cylinder turbo, owned since 2015.
I have had no turbo problems, do synthetic oil changes every 5000kms/3000miles. I also do a turbo cool down idle for a minute or two or drive slowly before shutting off the engine.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
If you like a sporty ride, then definitely take out the CX3. I have a CX5 and it's just FUN. Zero issues in 3 years.
And, now I need to look into this Apple Car Play for it!

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
My 2007 Forester is at 207k now and have been resisting replacement until a small hybrid suv came along so the RAV4 is good news. Three years ago had to expensively fix the usual oil leakage issues and then the catalytic converter and has been ok since but will be time to bail before worse crops up.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
If you like a sporty ride, then definitely take out the CX3. I have a CX5 and it's just FUN. Zero issues in 3 years.
And, now I need to look into this Apple Car Play for it!

I had the CarPlay install completed on my CX-5 yesterday. It's quite an involved process; took them almost 3 hours to get it done. Total cost out the door was just under $400 for parts and labor. Took it out for its maiden run up to Keystone today and I love it. I wish I could "expose" more apps through the CarPlay interface... and maybe you can, I just haven't researched that yet.

While I was at the dealership I had the chance to see the 2019 CX-5 Signature with turbo (250 hp and 310 ft-lbs torque). It figures that less than a year from me picking up the CX-5 they would come out with the turbo version. I didn't test drive it, but I have been told it's a rocket.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I had the CarPlay install completed on my CX-5 yesterday. It's quite an involved process; took them almost 3 hours to get it done. Total cost out the door was just under $400 for parts and labor. Took it out for its maiden run up to Keystone today and I love it. I wish I could "expose" more apps through the CarPlay interface... and maybe you can, I just haven't researched that yet.

While I was at the dealership I had the chance to see the 2019 CX-5 Signature with turbo (250 hp and 310 ft-lbs torque). It figures that less than a year from me picking up the CX-5 they would come out with the turbo version. I didn't test drive it, but I have been told it's a rocket.
Wait, what??!! I turbo version??!!