• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Small SUV recommendations

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If he's interested in the Juke then the CX-3 does make more sense. I love the sportiness of my CX-5 so he may really like that.

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
I would tend to stay away from some of the Nissan products. Some early and mid 2000's models had timing chain issues Sharp cut gears that wore out timing chains. Lawsuit was settled last year. Nissan defended this by saying the chains should last the life expectancy of the vehicles, a stated 120k. Daughter #4 had a Juke -purchased new- for a short period- small nagging issues and just too small. I did own two frontier PU's years back that were utilitarian but trouble free. Subies are great- wife's 2012 OB has been without issues. Have owned three CRV's- two 2nd generation (02-06) and one third gen (07-11). Daughter # 3 has one also- Grandson just got a ticket doing 95 in it- His dad told him he didn't think it would go that fast. Anyhow, still have and drive almost daily a 2006 CRV AWD with a 5 speed manual. Put 30k on it in the last year. Fun to drive and cheap on gas 22-25 combined MPG in real world driving. They are getting hard to find. Less than 100k ones are rare and you will pay over book from dealers depending on the market location. There are also front wheel drive only models, make sure you get the AWD. Got my current one in SLC, here there is a demand. Would stay away from the fourth generation(11-15). They have a high incident of severe idle vibrations and Honda's cure was to kick the idle speed up which is reported to have raised havoc with the gas mileage. And if you do happen to find a second gen, the Japanese made ones reportably have far fewer issues that the British made ones, but both have high marks for reliability. Put a set of Michelin X ice on mine and haven't had to dig myself out yet.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Thanks for all the replies. We test drove a few cars yesterday, not many open on Sunday but we hit 3 lots. The boy (he's 19) is practical, says he doesn't need much room at all and the less we spend the better. We looked at Nissan Rogues and Jukes, and we hit the Mitsubishi lot. We'll try to hit a few more lots today after work. So far he's most interested in a used Nissan Juke. He drove two of them and a new Mitsubishi Outlander. The Outlander felt positively sluggish compared to the Jukes. The Juke feels alot more like driving a sports car than an SUV. Maybe all those years in the passenger seat of my MR2 got to him ogsmile The Outlander had 12 miles on it and the Jukes had around 30k - 21k for the Outlander and around 16k for the Jukes. I guess the Juke falls into the sub compact SUV category. Anyone have any good or bad experience with it?
Why not an RVR?

Castle Dave

Getting off the lift
Skier
RVR is gutless. 148 or 168 hp depending on engine. Not competitive with other options.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The boy (he's 19) is practical, says he doesn't need much room at all and the less we spend the better........So far he's most interested in a used Nissan Juke.

First, nice parenting with regards to "the less we spend the better"!

Second, I think I mentioned in an earlier post, my FIL in Butte, MT has a Nissan Rogue and the heating system is a randomized piece of crap. Not sure the Juke suffers from the same malady, but I'd sure check.

I've driven the Juke. It's a blast. Since it has been cancelled, used prices should be really good, but it will be worth very little down the road when everybody has forgotten about it. And......it takes a certain taste to appreciate its looks! :D

TS
mcmary

mcmary

Putting on skis
Skier
Agreed on the looks! I was not a fan until he drove one. It's a fun zippy little thing and it seems to suit him. It was the first car he drove and he liked it right away. I made him drive a few other models last night - Chevy Trax, Kia Sportage and Nissan Rogue. He thought they were "okay" but he's pretty well settled on the Juke. He's driven 3 of them now. Heat and AC seem to work really well. The last one we drove must not have been out since summer because the AC was on while they were "warming it up!" Once we got the AC off it just about heated us out of the car but we were still able to get it comfortable. We are concentrating on low mileage 2015 and up models. Taking it for a drive in the snow is a priority. I've read it does pretty good unless equipped with summer tires (duh)

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looking at Consumer Reports, the Juke has mixed reliability, requires premium fuel and has a stupid turbo!

In terms of practicality and economics, I'd think finding another vehicle that will go to 200K miles without an expensive turbo replacement would be top of my list. Thankfully you can get a CRV or RAV4 without a turbo, and they have great reliability. Hard to go wrong with either of those.

These reliability rankings haven't been updated for recent model years, but tell a consistent story with Consumer Reports:
http://www.dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Nissan_Juke.html
http://www.dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Toyota_RAV4.html
http://www.dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Honda_CR-V.html

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
RVR is gutless. 148 or 168 hp depending on engine. Not competitive with other options.
Fair enough. I noticed that, but if saving money is important, one can give up the power and still reach the destination (with a little patience). I kinda like the option of front wheel drive, four wheel drive or four wheel lock the RVR provides.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
I can speak to the Outlander. Do not buy an Outlander newer than the 2013 model year. Mitsu had a good thing going with the V6 equipped compact SUV Outlander. Then they dumbed it down, got rid of the V6, and cheaped it out. My son is the same age as yours and drove a 2010 for a few years before he made a mistake lending his keys to a girl at school who decided to take it for a joyride that resulted in it getting t-boned. :eek:

The Outlander GT from 2010 through 2013 should be a great buy. We never had any problems with it, plenty of power, room, and it has a kick-ass Rockford-Fosgate stereo with subwoofer.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Just curious, have you considered a small 4x4 pickup with a cap? With the four door models you get seating room that will equal or better one of the small SUVs plus the infinitely larger hauling/loading capacity. Plenty of room for skis, sleeping, hauling stuff to the new apartment, bringing all the stuff back home again...

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
FWIW I have 256,000 miles on my Subaru Forester. When I get to 300K I’ll think about gettting something newer.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Next car for me will have to have Apple car play so that may narrow things down for you too...

Mazda just released a dealer installed update for models 2014 and newer that have their infotainment system that will add Apple Car Play. It's $199+ labor. I'm debating about whether I want to do it.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Mazda just released a dealer installed update for models 2014 and newer that have their infotainment system that will add Apple Car Play. It's $199+ labor. I'm debating about whether I want to do it.

Already booked my appointment. I'm having mine done tomorrow! (woo hoo). :golfclap:

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Already booked my appointment. I'm having mine done tomorrow! (woo hoo). :golfclap:

Let me know how you like it. Also, if you don't mind, what the final cost is and which dealership you use. I bought my CX-5 at Shortline but that's a haul from me in Boulder County so will probably choose somewhere closer for service needs.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Let me know how you like it. Also, if you don't mind, what the final cost is and which dealership you use. I bought my CX-5 at Shortline but that's a haul from me in Boulder County so will probably choose somewhere closer for service needs.
Just make sure you have enough data on your cell phone account. I had it on a rental; it was sure nice using navigator instead of guessing how best to get places while driving.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just make sure you have enough data on your cell phone account. I had it on a rental; it was sure nice using navigator instead of guessing how best to get places while driving.

But whether you use your phone maps through Car Play or on your phone it uses data. I don't stream things like Pandora or Pocasts to my phone via data so I wouldn't be using them on Car Play either.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have a 2016 Outlander GT, which I bought new. It was the best choice for me as I needed something with enough towing capacity for a small power boat. Most other vehicles would have either been much more expensive (I bought mine for $30K after discounts) or have less than stellar reliability ratings (Jeep). I have 52K miles on it so far and absolutely ZERO issues. Gas mileage has been surprising...overall average has been about 23-24, I have seen a high of 29 mpg on level interstate travel, even at 75 mph. The 4 cylinder versions with the CVT transmission do seem kind of gutless by comparison. I had a Montero Sport and VW Rabbit before this, decided to consolidate to one new car, and this was an excellent "middle ground". I will say the OEM tires sucked...I have Vredestein Quattrac 5 (?) on now, they have transformed how the car rides...MUCH smoother.

Sponsor

Staff online