• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Small SUV recommendations

mcmary

Putting on skis
Skier
My son’s Mitsubishi Montero came home with a clackety clack in the engine about a week ago. It has 217k on it. We dove into the engine last weekend and it looks to be more than a few weekends of work. We live about 20 miles outside of Boise and put 20k mikes a year on our cars. Our weather is a little more extreme out here. We got 14 inches of snow last weekend while they got 3-6 in town. It’s a lousy time to be down a 4 wheel drive. We’ve been carpooling this past week in my Expedition and though I’ve enjoyed spending a little more time with him we need to get him back on the road. He’s going to BSU and starts a new job next week. We’re definitely cramping each other’s style. We’re looking at helping him buy a newer small SUV in the next month. We’ll co-sign and this will be a good chance for him to build credit. Whatever we get needs to be all wheel or 4 wheel drive and be good in snow. We’re considering but have no experience with these cars: Honda CRV, Toyota RAV4, Mazda CX-3, Nissan Rogue and Mitsubishi Outlander. Anyone have experience with these cars - good or bad? Any other recommendations?

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I spent about a week total in rented Mitsubishi RVRs last month. Not bad. If they made it a little quieter at high speeds and added 30 HP it would be a winner for sure. I have a Mazda 3, and looked at the CX-3 (for the 4x4), and it is tiny inside.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you’re looking to buy used check out the Toyota Venza AWD. We have 2 of them and they’re great vehicles with a ton of interior room. My 6’7” son uses our 2009 as his winter vehicle. We also have a 2015 which we use as the wife’s bad weather ride. Both have been super reliable. Toyota quit producing them a year or 2 ago.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just cross the Rogue off your list. You can Google the problems, but my FIL has one in Butte, MT, and the intermittent craziness of the heating system is just infuriating!

Hard to go wrong with the Honda, Toyota, and Mazda you're considering. I'm a big fan of the Rav4's big, flat, tall load floor, and the manner in which the rear seat scissors down dead flat.

For a young guy of limited means, that intends to keep it a long time, consider looking into Hyundai. Nothing particularly good or bad about them, but they have a great warranty.

Castle Dave

Getting off the lift
Skier
For a young guy of limited means, that intends to keep it a long time, consider looking into Hyundai. Nothing particularly good or bad about them, but they have a great warranty.[/QUOTE]

I have a 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe. I bought it for several reasons- the warranty is great, it has a real automatic not a CVT, 2000 lb towing capacity compared to 1500 for the competition, the most horsepower for a non turbo engine compared to the competition, very adjustment friendly roof rails for the mega ski box plus lots of bells and whistles for the $. I especially like the heated steering wheel. The AWD works well and has all the mumbo jumbo technology which actually works (as I found out on one occasion last winter). If I didn't need room for a dog crate and tow capacity (dirt bike trailer) I would have gone with the Tuscon.
It isn't sporty however a car is just an appliance to me. As long as it does the job I'm happy.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I'd also say that the Mitsu's have a great warranty and have been, for the people I know that have had them, great vehicles. I can say Honda and Toyota ain't what they used to be. I like the Mitsu swtichable AWD as well. Seems like most people pass them by but they're worth a look.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
My son’s Mitsubishi Montero came home with a clackety clack in the engine about a week ago. It has 217k on it. We dove into the engine last weekend and it looks to be more than a few weekends of work. We live about 20 miles outside of Boise and put 20k mikes a year on our cars. Our weather is a little more extreme out here. We got 14 inches of snow last weekend while they got 3-6 in town. It’s a lousy time to be down a 4 wheel drive. We’ve been carpooling this past week in my Expedition and though I’ve enjoyed spending a little more time with him we need to get him back on the road. He’s going to BSU and starts a new job next week. We’re definitely cramping each other’s style. We’re looking at helping him buy a newer small SUV in the next month. We’ll co-sign and this will be a good chance for him to build credit. Whatever we get needs to be all wheel or 4 wheel drive and be good in snow. We’re considering but have no experience with these cars: Honda CRV, Toyota RAV4, Mazda CX-3, Nissan Rogue and Mitsubishi Outlander. Anyone have experience with these cars - good or bad? Any other recommendations?

I would get a base Subaru Forester. It has awesome resale value to boot even after many years.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I would get a base Subaru Forester. It has awesome resale value to boot even after many years.

I love Subaru’s. Very reliable and retain their value. I just wish they made them in adult sizes.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
The Hyundai Kona is getting some pretty high ratings in the small SUV class. I am a believer in these folks, got a 2012 Santa Fe with 130K and it has been a sterling AWD for me.
A side note Dec 31st/Jan 1 are two of the best days of the year statistically to buy a new vehicle.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I can say Honda and Toyota ain't what they used to be.

I'd agree. Having owned the previous generation Rav4, and regularly riding/driving the latest version, I can tell you it has improved greatly (except no more V6, darn it).

No clue on the Hondas.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe a good used Lexus RX 300. Currently looking at some myself.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
I'll mention two issues for skier considerations. Cargo capacity since we often need space for a lot of gear in winter. When the bed is long enough for skis, it adds a useful option for carrying those long items with more security.. Second unless one is tall, can one fold the rear seats down with a resulting bed flat enough to comfortable sleep on? As an all year mountain enthusiast, I sleep in the back bed of my Forester dozens of times each year including occasionally during winter. Not a few SUVs are not very flat with the rear seats folded down.

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/compact-suvs-with-the-most-cargo-space

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the 4-wheel wagons. I have the VW 4-motion myself. A LOT more usable cargo space than the small SUV's. Wagons aren't cool...but they're a whole hell of a lot more practical than the short-ended SUV shape. And...they drive better.
VW AllTrack
Subaru Outback
Audi A4 wagon
Even Buick Roadmaster w/AWD.

coops

Getting on the lift
Skier
That CX-3 is a cute little thing... I've the CX-5 - not sure if the newest CX3 has the latest Mazda engine with combined spark and compression ignition to give diesel-like miles per gallon...

The Honda is a good, safe bet, but maybe look at a Subaru also - the XV only comes with a weedy non-turbo 2L and CVT gearbox in Thailand unfortunately, but should have better options in the States.

The Volvo XC40 is a more expensive option... especially in Asia sadly...

Next car for me will have to have Apple car play so that may narrow things down for you too...

TS
mcmary

mcmary

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks for all the replies. We test drove a few cars yesterday, not many open on Sunday but we hit 3 lots. The boy (he's 19) is practical, says he doesn't need much room at all and the less we spend the better. We looked at Nissan Rogues and Jukes, and we hit the Mitsubishi lot. We'll try to hit a few more lots today after work. So far he's most interested in a used Nissan Juke. He drove two of them and a new Mitsubishi Outlander. The Outlander felt positively sluggish compared to the Jukes. The Juke feels alot more like driving a sports car than an SUV. Maybe all those years in the passenger seat of my MR2 got to him ogsmile The Outlander had 12 miles on it and the Jukes had around 30k - 21k for the Outlander and around 16k for the Jukes. I guess the Juke falls into the sub compact SUV category. Anyone have any good or bad experience with it?

Sponsor

Staff online