Small Backpack for Skinning Inbounds

TS
L&AirC

L&AirC

PSIA Instructor and USSA Coach
Skier
Wait. You don't already have the skis and boots for this?

Didn't you say you'd be on telemark gear?
Yes I have telemark gear and is what I'll be using. I have had it for a couple seasons but across two seasons might have a dozen times out. I don't have many opportunities to telemark and is why I continue to suck. Maybe this event will change things. If I had to do it again, I would get AT gear instead.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
If you don’t like wearing a pack skiing, consider the Dakine Heli 12L. It’s wider and longer than many other packs of the same volume, so its a decent amount thinner. This disperses the weight and awkwardness of a pack across your entire back. I generally don’t have much of an issue with packs skiing, but I’m a lot pickier snowboarding...this is one of the few packs I’ve used that I don’t even notice while riding.
I use the Dakine Heli 12 daily as a liftrider and as a summit bag, works well, tougher than their gloves. My only quibble is the hang loop, hard to operate zips when weighted.
IMG_20190426_181309999.jpg
IMG_20190426_133005497.jpg

TS
L&AirC

L&AirC

Skier
I, and most every guide I've had, would *not* recommend using a camelback while skinning. Unless you can be certain that conditions will be above freezing, camelbacks have a nasty habit of freezing while skinning leaving you without water. Not a big deal when you're just one ski away, but annoying. Hydrating at each transition will be enough if done regularly.

As for the micropack -- a bunch of external straps like that make me nervous while riding lifts. No matter how low profile, straps can get tangled. This was beaten into our heads during lift evac practice and lecture last week. One common cause for people failing to unload probably is gear snagged on a chair. There is a reason why in-bounds focused packs typically havea very smooth back. Example:

Guess what Santa brought me!!!!! Going to get a test run this weekend. :yahoo:

As an update to all of this, I'm ridiculously behind in working out BUT, I'm not changing the plans or at least yet. I've also found out is is almost exactly 1 mile up. There is a slightly longer trail (1.23) but is on the other side and not where I work out of. I've also started getting some coaching on my tele skiing from one of the other Race Coaches that used to compete in tele; racing and moguls, and he is helping tremendously. I might actually get good enough at tele to enjoy it.:crossfingers::Teleb:

LiquidFeet

Making fresh tracks
Instructor
I was wondering when you'd give an update to this thread.
Remind us, when's the date? That's your birthday, right?

TS
L&AirC

L&AirC

Skier
I was wondering when you'd give an update to this thread.
Remind us, when's the date? That's your birthday, right?
It's still almost two months away. I'm shooting for midweek mid February (between the 17th and 21st). I might nudge it a bit either way based on conditions and my work schedule. Optimal will be the 18th as it is by B'day. Will see.

Slim

Out on the slopes
Skier
@L&AirC , fun! Get some pics for us. Sounds like this is a fun project that has already encouraged you to broaden your skill set!

Joel

Having fun
Skier
Another vote for the Osprey Kamber. Comes in several volumes. I have the Kamber 32, don't even notice it when I'm out pretending to ski.