• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Slow Line Fast Bump Skiing done slowly.

agreen

Getting on the lift
Skier
^^^^ Wow that's awesome skiing and exactly how I would like to ski bumps one day. Not achievable but something to strive for. Also, wow for how bad the spelling of his name was being butchered before :D

john petersen

working through minutia to find the big picture!
Instructor
Nearly all of them are deficient with changing edges while fully flexed, which is a huge part of the reason many people on this thread were not overly inspired by the video. That particular deficiency is very common throughout psia as very few in psia really understand that movement pattern or how to teach it. It also uses many contradictory muscle engagements and relaxations that are in many ways completely opposite of the status quo movement pattern most common thoroughout psia. That task was added to our divsion's L3 exam recently and that tells me they are becoming aware of this and hoping to improve things. Schanzy's comments were also right in line with that.

Can you expand on this a bit?
-fully flexed
-how to teach changing edges while fully flexed
-muscle movements that are opposite the status quo common to PSIA

Im very curious about these points in your post and intrigued by possible answers....

thanks BTS683!

JP

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Whoah....

Now that's fun to watch. So lovely to watch difficult skiing looking easy. But, to achieve it, far too hard on my old knees. Continuing on that line, ahem, I would prefer the softer bumps through the trees in the early part of this ;)

Last edited:

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
^^^^ Wow that's awesome skiing and exactly how I would like to ski bumps one day. Not achievable but something to strive for. Also, wow for how bad the spelling of his name was being butchered before :D

With a little French, it's easy enough to spell, adjective + noun: beau lieu — beautiful place.

You can aspire to ski like the last few seconds of that video starting at 3:09.

Nate Gardner

Putting on skis
Instructor
Two different skiers. JF Beaelieu, from Mount Saint Anne, Quebec and Jonathon Ballou from Aspen, Colorado. Both, though, do work for Rookies Academy and ski together a lot.

agreen

Getting on the lift
Skier
Two different skiers. JF Beaelieu, from Mount Saint Anne, Quebec and Jonathon Ballou from Aspen, Colorado. Both, though, do work for Rookies Academy and ski together a lot.

Ahh that makes sense. Both great skiers but Beaulieu seems more like a God!!!

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Until he talks for an hour and says basically nothing. God does have a nice French Canadian accent though.

I wouldn't say he says nothing. I think he tries to describe sensations available to him as a high level technical skier — sensations the rest of us aren't sensitive to — and he's not always successful. It's not drivel, but it may not communicate.

James

Out There
Instructor
When he talks he's teaching, not blathering on about his personal sensations. People do pay thousands of dollars to go to Rookie Academy in NZ. Perhaps he's totally different there but I wouldn't bet on it.

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
When he talks he's teaching, not blathering on about his personal sensations. People do pay thousands of dollars to go to Rookie Academy in NZ. Perhaps he's totally different there but I wouldn't bet on it.

Much of teaching is about one's personal understanding of the subject. Much of skiing is about sensation. When he talks about "going up the wall," or whatever, it means something particular to him, and he's trying to convey it. If you relate to the sensation, you'll get something out of what he says. I almost do.

James

Out There
Instructor
Much of teaching is about one's personal understanding of the subject. Much of skiing is about sensation. When he talks about "going up the wall," or whatever, it means something particular to him, and he's trying to convey it. If you relate to the sensation, you'll get something out of what he says. I almost do.
It's "the bowl".
Yes, interesting concept. Perhaps.

Sponsor