• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Slow Line Fast Bump Skiing done slowly.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
The Goal of this video was to ski bumps as said above doing slow line fast done fairly slowly and softly. Emphasis on maximum smoothness, patience and efficiency.

I think a lot of people look at mogul skiing and think that its jarring, athletic and impactful. Which it can be if done "wrong" or trying to emulate WC style fast line slow bump skiing. I hope this videos show just how easy it can be.....given the development of the correct skills, mindset, and using the correct slow line fast tactics.

Last edited by a moderator:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Since you mentioned it....

Just mess'in with you. ogsmile. Completely agree with your premise. Bumps aren't the killers they're reported to be with the right tactics, some skills, and mind set.

(I'm glad Eric makes a bobble squaring up and getting back and in on one of his left footers... even the best are are worthy of both emulation and critique... quickly corrected though... the dude kills it like few on the planet.)

Last edited:
TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
yeah my entire goal was to be slow and boring.....I showed this to couple people last night, and their response was "its boring" which was basically my point. Got to make it boring and smooth with no bobbles before you can turn it up, plus we have all of these people showing their skiing at 110 percent and almost no one showing a slowed down truly attainable way of skiing.

also all of the runs that eric is skiing are crevasses right now, we basically have bump run let open....I also meant video of themselves, That is Eric's slowest bump skiing I have ever seen and I feel its one of the best bump videos on the net.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I like your demo. It is nice to have a video of this style being done well.
(Of course, what would be really cool is a set of runs down the same pitch done in each of the different styles.)

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Josh, we had our spring PSIA event out here this past weekend and spent an afternoon doing steep bump pitches doing exactly what you're doing in your video. It shows clearly the tactical contrasts of 'round' and steered vs. pivot and 'slam'. To paraphrase with a twist, "it's not that you suck at bumps, it's just that you just haven't figured out how to make long, slow, love to them." ogsmile

Last edited:

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
The Goal of this video was to ski bumps as said above doing slow line fast done fairly slowly and softly. Emphasis on maximum smoothness, patience and efficiency.

I think a lot of people look at mogul skiing and think that its jarring, athletic and impactful. Which it can be if done "wrong" or trying to emulate WC style fast line slow bump skiing. I hope this videos show just how easy it can be.....given the development of the correct skills, mindset, and using the correct slow line fast tactics.

critique away....the only people who will be listened to are those can show me in a video how to do it better.
Thanks Josh, this is a very helpful video. I really like watching how you use turn shape, terrain and line to control speed. I agree with you that showing this slow is very helpful. When I watch this; I try to imagine how I would navigate these bumps and how I would do it if it is a groomer. I feel I could make these turns on a groomer but not so sure on the bumps (can't quite figure out steepness). Is there any trick you can share about choosing the line? As I am obsessed with Infinty Move I am now starting to think about Slow Line Fast. Cheers

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
That is Eric's slowest bump skiing I have ever seen and I feel its one of the best bump videos on the net.

I can't say it seemed slow at the time. You can see Trappy and myself standing behind him (I also liked seeing the random guy flopping around behind him).

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Spring bumps tent to offer more and better line options along with it being easier to blast over some instead of around all. Warm weather, other bumpers enjoying them facilitate better bump skiing for everyone. I love the bigger turns, wider lines and occasional doubles. I have a bit more trouble pulling the wider line off on cold, icy, bulletproof bump days though..

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
Spring bumps tent to offer more and better line options along with it being easier to blast over some instead of around all. Warm weather, other bumpers enjoying them facilitate better bump skiing for everyone. I love the bigger turns, wider lines and occasional doubles. I have a bit more trouble pulling the wider line off on cold, icy, bulletproof bump days though..
What is a "double"? Riding over two moguls?

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
@Josh Matta could you add a voice over and discribe exactly what you are doing? Even a section where you are slowing it down a bit? Beautiful round turns down the fall line.

I watched it with my son. I pointed out the textbook separation (bumps are great to improve that, and I agree with @crgildart , spring soft bumps are more friendly). He says ... 'so this is basically perfect". I need to share with my daughter, too. And try to apply something ... close to that, myself. Separation is everything, at our stage :)

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I am skiing the outside bank line......
Thanks Josh, this is a very helpful video. I really like watching how you use turn shape, terrain and line to control speed. I agree with you that showing this slow is very helpful. When I watch this; I try to imagine how I would navigate these bumps and how I would do it if it is a groomer. I feel I could make these turns on a groomer but not so sure on the bumps (can't quite figure out steepness). Is there any trick you can share about choosing the line? As I am obsessed with Infinty Move I am now starting to think about Slow Line Fast. Cheers

First I would take video to absolutely sure you can make sure you can make a slow round tip/balance before any guiding turning.

Second on line choice realize that is not possible in all bumps at all time, as was posted in the all tracks video I am on the so called Outside Bank line, this line is honestly the least obvious way of skiing bumps and very very few people are actually able to do it. The best way to describe it simply is that I am skiing the line that resemble a mini banked SL. I d go so far to say that if the trough line is 45 degree angle from people fast line slow edge setting. Speaking about connected turns apex to apex, when you are headed straight down the fall line you are going staight into the uphill side of the bump, and you exit the bump your skis are more across the hill than 45 degree rut all of the Z turners have made as you completing your turn you tipping you new inside ski into the turn and flexxing the new inside leg. as you are tipping your feet down the hilll wait as long as possible until you let the skis track back down the hill. Or as Mark said make long slow love to them.

Nate Gardner

Putting on skis
Instructor
Nice skiing Josh. I've been in love with those Gulch bumps for all the variety of tactics they allow.
Skiing this more rounded line has been a big focus of mine this winter. I'm trying to even take it a bit wider and continue to demonstrate good angles, speed, and power in the bumps with a lot of my shaping and speed control above the fall line.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
A bit of a contrast, but what's interesting here is though this clip shows faster skiing, the line is still round and there's no hurry making the transition happen... It's fast, but looks slow:

TS
Josh Matta

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
The gulch bumps have been my go to try to shape into something I like I have been skiing them over and over again to try to perserve the line. Liftline right now is Z turns central.......no matter how much cheating I tried to do a more rounded line is just not possible.....might have to do a video this weekend on what to do when the outside banks line just is not there and you do not want to

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
A bit of a contrast, but what's interesting here is though this clip shows faster skiing, the line is still round and there's no hurry making the transition happen... It's fast, but looks slow:

Terrific skiing. Are these dolphin turns? It reminds me more of @Bob Barnes 's crudology than the smooth round turns in Josh's OP.

What I love is the similarities: relaxed, balanced stance, complete sparation of upper and lower body, and patience (not rushing the turns).

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier

I don't know who these SKIGRAPHIC guys are (Japanese, I think)-but they have a ton of instructional videos on bump skiing, particularly smooth bump skiing. The main demonstrator in this video shows some pretty round, smooth, slow line slow bump skiing. They have better vids 9and skiers) than this, but this was the first one I clicked o today.

I think the second half of the video are graded/scored examples of smoothness among would be instructors (maybe?), the scores go up as they get closer to the model introduced at the start of the video.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
... much more 'zipper line' outcome oriented though. Yes, it's Japanese.

Sponsor

Staff online