• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

For Sale Slightly used ski area

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
For about the price of 'the big house' you can own a really cool ski area with bowls and tree skiing and all that stuff. $800,000 buys you Soldier Mountain just outside of Fairfield, Idaho. Comes complete with it's own cat skiing operation. This is a real ski area with about 1,400' lift serviced vertical and the cat skiing up above that. About 60 miles from Sun Valley. I like the place. Buy it you'll like it.

And you have got to have a PugSki discount on tickets and cat skiing.

https://www.kmvt.com/content/news/Soldier-Mountain-Ski-resort-for-sale-owners-say--505991411.html

20190106_123310.jpg

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
For about the price of 'the big house' you can own a really cool ski area with bowls and tree skiing and all that stuff. $800,000 buys you Soldier Mountain just outside of Fairfield, Idaho. Comes complete with it's own cat skiing operation. This is a real ski area with about 1,400' lift serviced vertical and the cat skiing up above that. About 60 miles from Sun Valley. I like the place. Buy it you'll like it.

https://www.kmvt.com/content/news/Soldier-Mountain-Ski-resort-for-sale-owners-say--505991411.html

View attachment 66089

But I thought there was a thread about another one, in the Rockies, for 1/5 of the price tag of this one? :D Of course, the real question is the books, etc. The sad thing is, in my area, this buys you a small condo, at most, sigh!

TS
Bad Bob

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
The valley it is off the charts pretty. And the town is probably what Steamboat Springs was way back in time. The owner took me for a couple of laps the first day I went there. Really nice people and they did a ton of work, and spent a LOT of money on the place. The potential is there for somebody.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe Bruce Willis will buy it back?!

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Purchased in 15 for $149K. Wondering how much in debt they are. You need lots of cash for changes. It always looks/sounds easy, but it isn't.

TS
Bad Bob

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Maybe Bruce Willis will buy it back?!

Willis gave it away last time so probably not.

The couple that own it now have:
built a new base lodge.
added a beginners magic carpet.
rebuilt the chairs.
bought 2 groomers.
Lord only knows what else.

For someone who would like to make a small fortune and already has a large fortune, there are real possibilities here.

Picture of some lift service terraine off of their top lift on a Sunday afternoon
20190106_125033.jpg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
IIRC, Soldier Mountain used to have a well-regarded downhill race.

Not sure of the details, but have heard SV locals talking it up a few times, in years past.

I hope somebody steps in and keeps it going. I love "Mom and Pop" ski areas, though it shames me to say we always drive right past on our way to and from SV every year.

TS
Bad Bob

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Skied it today and there will be no pictures; absolutely dumping. 8" probably fell on the 18" already there. Out-frigging-ragous.

Talked to the owner, sounds like they have an offer coming in this week. Learned some interesting things about the place:
Soldier already has the water lines (and water rights) installed for snow making.
Forest Service permits are already in place for expanding lift serviced skiing to the top of the cat skiing area, that would make Soldier Mountain one of the largest vert areas in the US and one of the largest for lift serviced acreage.
All of this could happen fairly quickly with a buyer that has DEEP pockets.

If 1/2 this stuff happens you want to go there (and maybe buy a house or property in Fairfield). It would make an incredible bookend to Sun Valley.

TonyPlush

Getting off the lift
Skier
Skied it today and there will be no pictures; absolutely dumping. 8" probably fell on the 18" already there. Out-frigging-ragous.

Talked to the owner, sounds like they have an offer coming in this week. Learned some interesting things about the place:
Soldier already has the water lines (and water rights) installed for snow making.
Forest Service permits are already in place for expanding lift serviced skiing to the top of the cat skiing area, that would make Soldier Mountain one of the largest vert areas in the US and one of the largest for lift serviced acreage.
All of this could happen fairly quickly with a buyer that has DEEP pockets.

If 1/2 this stuff happens you want to go there (and maybe buy a house or property in Fairfield). It would make an incredible bookend to Sun Valley.
Did it ever sell?

I'm fascinated by this place. Potential for 4,300 ft. of vertical in underrated Idaho. If only I wasn't an empty pocketed 29-year-old...

TS
Bad Bob

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Did it ever sell?

I'm fascinated by this place. Potential for 4,300 ft. of vertical in underrated Idaho. If only I wasn't an empty pocketed 29-year-old...

If I wasn't as old as I am, I'd be looking at it!

Have not heard any more news on the place this year.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
IIRC, Soldier Mountain used to have a well-regarded downhill race.

Not sure of the details, but have heard SV locals talking it up a few times, in years past.

I hope somebody steps in and keeps it going. I love "Mom and Pop" ski areas, though it shames me to say we always drive right past on our way to and from SV every year.

I never did it, but my racing friends have always enjoyed it there. The area used to be closed part of the week so the DHs were during those closed days. A speed skier's paradise. The course, depending on how it was set, had air, flats, big turns and speed. I have heard of an event when the sort-of uphill portion of the course was super-slow forcing you to pole and skate, but that was an exception and also a part of the attraction. A DH like no other unless you count the Infernos they run in Europe that cover many kilometers and run upwards of 20 minutes and beyond.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I doubt I'd ski there simply due to logistics, etc but seems an interesting option if one can dig up 10 to 12 for CAT skiing:

• Cat Scratch – This trip meets at the lodge between 9 and 9:30 and is approximately 6 hours long. Runs Thursday through Sunday — $249+ booking fee
  • Private – This trip meets at the lodge at 8. Rent the 12 seat cat privately for an 8 hour trip any day of the week — $2750+ booking fee
  • Two days of cat skiing with an overnight in the yurt in between ski days. This trip meets at the lodge at 8 on the first day — $4650+ booking fee
**booking fee is 6%

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

View attachment 66089

Cool. What is the total annual Liability of that property?

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I doubt I'd ski there simply due to logistics, etc but seems an interesting option if one can dig up 10 to 12 for CAT skiing:

• Cat Scratch – This trip meets at the lodge between 9 and 9:30 and is approximately 6 hours long. Runs Thursday through Sunday — $249+ booking fee
  • Private – This trip meets at the lodge at 8. Rent the 12 seat cat privately for an 8 hour trip any day of the week — $2750+ booking fee
  • Two days of cat skiing with an overnight in the yurt in between ski days. This trip meets at the lodge at 8 on the first day — $4650+ booking fee
**booking fee is 6%

Me and 11 friends/family are doing the 2 days cat skiing and Yurt in Mid February. Looking forward to it.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Like the old Targhee cat skiing, but possibly with actual interesting terrain.

Methinks the bolded cost is a typo?!

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Like the old Targhee cat skiing, but possibly with actual interesting terrain.

Methinks the bolded cost is a typo?!
Bolded cost is correct: 2 days private Cat Skiing plus overnight yurt for $4650 (plus booking fee, plus gratuity). Or $460 per person when gratuity and booking fee included (based on 12 people)..... A good deal.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bolded cost is correct: 2 days private Cat Skiing plus overnight yurt for $4650 (plus booking fee, plus gratuity). Or $460 per person when gratuity and booking fee included (based on 12 people)..... A good deal.

Sorry I missed the part about that covering the entire group of 12.

That IS a great deal!

TS
Bad Bob

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Last year was told they had one guy guiding and he had been doing it over 20 years there. How cool would that be for a part time job?

Sponsor