• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I asked this in the Aspen thread too, but I want to get the opinion of you Utah fans too ;-)

Would your pick be Copper/Aspen-Snowmass or Salt Lake City area for Presidents’ Day week? Why one over the other?

Ikon Base pass. Skiing Friday 2/15 - Saturday 2/23.

Last edited:

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Alta/Bird slopeside- hope for snow and inter-lodge- LLC road will be closed and you'll have a private ski resort (s)

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
In my opinion, Presidents' Day weekend has the greatest likelihood of being the most crowded of the entire season in BCC and LCC. If it's a powder weekend or if the days leading up to the weekend experienced significant snowfall and the weekend is bright and sunny, one can almost be assured of the following scenario: parking lots at the resorts fill up by the time lifts begin loading passengers or very soon thereafter; vehicles begin parking (many illegally) along the canyon roads and quickly stretch for long distances from entrance roads/access to resorts; other vehicles enter already full parking lots and relentlessly circle looking for empty spaces until gridlock ensues due to a continuous flow of more vehicles doing the same; traffic in the canyons becomes bumper to bumper with very little movement taking place in the upper canyons due to full parking capacity everywhere and more vehicles arriving by the minute; canyon patrol closes the canyons due to over-capacity and begins ticketing and/or arranging for towing of illegally parked vehicles. In addition, travel down the canyons beginning around 3:00 p.m. or so will potentially take three or more times longer than normal. I use to strategize for these situations by arriving very early and departing very early. Lately, depending upon the circumstance, I either take the day or days off and do something else or head into the backcountry up canyons not named BCC or LCC.

If snow conditions or weather are less than superb, the aforementioned scenario is still possible but will be less severe at its peak and will take longer to fully engage. The week leading up to Presidents' Day weekend and the week thereafter are typically busier than normal but are easily in the tolerable range.

Utah is the fastest growing state in the nation and has the country's lowest unemployment rate. The economy here is roaring. The housing market is insane and open space along the Wasatch Front is quickly disappearing. I mention these facts because I think the combination of a rocket propelled economy and rapidly escalating population will likely take insane days in the canyons to levels possibly never seen before.

Read blackke17's response above, which sums up the situation in two sentences.

New2

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'll agree with everyone else on Aspen. But note that Copper might potentially be more crowded than anywhere in Utah. so that's not a "Copper/Aspen" recommendation :)

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
As a retired teacher, I must point out that the weeks before and after Presidents’ Weekend have the highest absence rate of the year. Based on that, I would choose Aspen/Snowmass because of the higher cost of air fare and lodging. If you are parents of 2 or 3, and have to pay airfare, SLC is your ticket. As the former ski club advisor, we always hit Utah because of the abundance of reasonably priced hotels in the SLC area.

P-Ute

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Stay away from LCC & BCC over Presidents Day Weekend. Massive crowds and horrendous traffic/parking. Exception, Massive snow storm and you can sneak up canyon at 4am before UDOT closes road for avalanche control. Park City resorts will be packed too. Only option is to get up early for first chair and go in the opposite direction that any crowd is going. I like to call it antisocial skiing. You should be able to get in 1 to 2 hours before the crowds descend.

Have you considered places that are a little harder to get to, like Snowbasin, Powder Mountain, Jackson Hole, Grand Targhee, Big Sky?

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
. Based on that, I would choose Aspen/Snowmass because of the higher cost of air fare and lodging. If you are parents of 2 or 3, and have to pay airfare, SLC is your ticket. As the former ski club advisor, we always hit Utah because of the abundance of reasonably priced hotels in the SLC area.

Yep, since this a family trip we are stuck with the school breaks. So probably skiing Friday before Presidents‘ Day-through the Saturday after.

When I look, SLC is a fair bit more expensive than DEN as far as flights go, not the other way around.
I would stay in the canyons if it was Utah, just because I don’t want to be stuck in the traffic on the best days of my trip.

TS
Slim

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Stay away from LCC & BCC over Presidents Day Weekend. Massive crowds and horrendous traffic/parking.
Have you considered places that are a little harder to get to, like Snowbasin, Powder Mountain, Jackson Hole, Grand Targhee, Big Sky?

We have the Ikon base pass, so those are the resorts I’m considering.
Snowbasin is not on there.
Jackson Hole and Big Sky only have 5 days, and no other resorts on the pass nearby. Also more expensive to get to.

If we were to go to Utah, we’d have to deal with the blackout days on the weekend before President’s Monday. We might just visit with friends, and if it dumps, I would buy a tike then for Powder Mountain. The Friday before, Presidents Day itself and the rest of that week we have plenty of resorts to choose from on the Ikon Pass.

In Colorado, it would be skiing Friday-Sunday at Copper, Presidents Day-Friday Aspen, Saturday Copper again.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Yep, since this a family trip we are stuck with the school breaks. So probably skiing Friday before Presidents‘ Day-through the Saturday after.

When I look, SLC is a fair bit more expensive than DEN as far as flights go, not the other way around.
I would stay in the canyons if it was Utah, just because I don’t want to be stuck in the traffic on the best days of my trip.
Education is important, but skiing is importanter:D

TQA

Putting on skis
Skier
None of the above.

I would be in Beaver Creek. It will still be busy but not the insanity found elsewhere.

Sponsor

Staff online