• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

James

Out There
Instructor
Any slalom type ski requires edge angle to really be fun. They'll slide fine if properly tuned, eg flat base, but really get fun on edge. Contrary to popular words, they're not just for small turns. In fact, I think in big turns they're more fun. Like going nearly side to side on Spring Fling at Sugarbush in the shallow corn.

If one just wants to make carved small turns something with a ginormous tip is probably better. The slalom tip is quite versatile if it doesn't have a hole in it like the Fischer.

In terms of the Laser sc, at your size really the 170 would be better. Otherwise, probably just a 165 slalom ski. But...people ski the 157/8. Andrew's daily driver at Taos was a 157 fis sl. Don't go 155/6 as it's not the length, but those are meant for lighter skiers. Since 157/8 are not as popular there are usually good deals on them.

James

Out There
Instructor
James, when you say 157/8 is 8 a flex #. ??
Just trying to learn something???
No, length. 157cm.
Some brands make a 155cm and a 156cm, other brands make a 157cm and a 158cm.
The difference is the smaller one is meant for lighter skiers, like juniors, by the internal construction. (It wouldn't surprise me if both are the exact same length, not 1cm different) Calling it a different size makes it much less confusing.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Any slalom type ski requires edge angle to really be fun. They'll slide fine if properly tuned, eg flat base, but really get fun on edge. Contrary to popular words, they're not just for small turns. In fact, I think in big turns they're more fun. Like going nearly side to side on Spring Fling at Sugarbush in the shallow corn.

If one just wants to make carved small turns something with a ginormous tip is probably better. The slalom tip is quite versatile if it doesn't have a hole in it like the Fischer.

In terms of the Laser sc, at your size really the 170 would be better. Otherwise, probably just a 165 slalom ski. But...people ski the 157/8. Andrew's daily driver at Taos was a 157 fis sl. Don't go 155/6 as it's not the length, but those are meant for lighter skiers. Since 157/8 are not as popular there are usually good deals on them.

The only SC demo I've been able to find so far is a 163 so I'll try that for now. @Tony S had suggested I try a 155-160cm for a true slalom ski, which is why I started there.

vilu

Booting up
Skier
I ski SLs as my everyday ski for over a decade. It requires a solid technique but you don't have to be an expert. A few weeks ago I tested next years model (almost identical to this years) and liked it even better than my current (15/16). You can go fast but it allows slow skidding as well. My wife, an advanced skier, came from Rossi Hero ST (15/16) which she liked very much. While the current Rossi doesn't fit here style (tip became much harder) she tried several Stöcklis: SC, SX, CX and ended finally with the SL which gave here much more fun than the others.
I highly recommend testing SL in 165.

James

Out There
Instructor
@vilu , are you in Europe? I don't know anyone in the East US who has a Stockli slalom or any other for that matter to demo. Partly because people here in general don't believe they make good all around skis, they're too difficult etc.

Interesting your wife chose the Laser SL over the others.

Does next years come flat or with plate?

The only SC demo I've been able to find so far is a 163 so I'll try that for now. @Tony S had suggested I try a 155-160cm for a true slalom ski, which is why I started there.
Norse House has next years SC demo in 170, but it's likely to be sold by this weekend. It's also full price.
Today's Edge has the 170 for sale. Don't know about demo.

The CX sounds very interesting.

CX
122, 68, 100 in 170cm, R >14.1

SC
123, 72, 104 170cm R > 14.9

SL
120, 66, 97 165 cm R > 13.6
The 170 cm is R > 14.5

So much depends on other characteristics though.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
So does the current CX have a softer tail than the SL non fis?
How about the front?

Unfortunately I don't know. I unloaded my regular SL and kept the FIS. I would need them side by side to directly compare. My recollection is that the new CX is quite similar to the flex of the older SL that I had, but I can't be certain.

The fact that I kept the CX and bought a new one while unloading the SL says something. What it means to other skiers depends on what the individual skier is targeting as their preferred characteristics.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The CX sounds very interesting.

CX
122, 68, 100 in 170cm, R >14.1

SC
123, 72, 104 170cm R > 14.9

SL
120, 66, 97 165 cm R > 13.6
The 170 cm is R > 14.5

So much depends on other characteristics though.

I skied the CX back to back with the SC when I demo'ed a couple of seasons ago. Keeping in mind my skill level, I enjoyed the SC more... I didn't keep detailed notes, but from what I remember, the CX needed to be pushed a bit harder. But the note I did make on here was "almost as good as the SC".

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Something to keep in mind when considering lengths on FIS SL skis.

vilu

Booting up
Skier
@vilu , are you in Europe? I don't know anyone in the East US who has a Stockli slalom or any other for that matter to demo. Partly because people here in general don't believe they make good all around skis, they're too difficult etc.

Interesting your wife chose the Laser SL over the others.

Does next years come flat or with plate?
@James, yes we are living in Switzerland. My wife was reluctant testing the SL, now she is happy. Although not the perfect technique she has a good feeling how a ski works. The SL has a fast turn initiation over the tip and a harmonic edge grip over the whole length. She also tested Salomon iMax rush which was fun at speed but didn‘t want to go slow. We both tried Fischer RC4 WC SL, a fine ski for short turns on hard packed but digged in softer conditions. We both rated it as too one dimensional.

Currently the SL comes flat with MC12 binding. The new race plates are not yet available and I do not know the final setup. There will be a lighter carbon plate with similar performance than the standard version. The power transmission shall move outside for better edge grip. I ordered the standard plate and will see.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
I will just say there were a lot of Laser SLs on the hill everywhere I went in Switzerland.

dj61

Getting on the lift
Skier
Skied in Austria in January. When I complained about my Rossi ST against the rental guy, he told me that he would prepare something special for me the next day to try out. He did not tell me what, but the nxt morning he brought me the Stockli laser SL. At first I was reluctant to test them, remembering earlier models that needed a lot of power to ski. He explained to me how on this model Stockli thinned out the titanal layers in top and tail, etc which made them more playfull. So I gave them a try. They never left me feet after that. Best slalom ski I have ever skied. So easy to ski. And not only short turns. It is in no way a gs ski but medium turns are a breeze.
I also demoed the Laser CX. Nice ski but the SL is so much more fun. Pricey though.

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah I've seen a lot of the blue Stockli sl's even at the top of Mont Fort in Verbier.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So I demo'd the SC's on Saturday at Killington. I think that I would need to demo them again when the snow is firm in order to have a true idea of how they perform. I had hoped that the first 1-2 runs early would have a bit of firm snow but instead the snow was creamy and soft from the start and only improved as the day wore on.

My impressions, even with the soft snow, was that the ski wants a bit of speed to come alive and that it requires good technique. It will let you know if you get lazy. I learned that I don't pressure the boot tongues nearly as consistently as I thought I did. There was a clear difference to how the ski responded when I was consciously pressing harder on the tongues so that's something I need to work on.

I had reached out to @dawgcatching about a pair of SC's he was selling. Those are gone but he said he has a line of a pair of like-new MX74's that I might want to try. I'm waiting to hear back from him on those.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Did you ski the SC on the line ?
I often prefer my bindings to be +0.5cm to +1cm on my Stockli & Kastle skis as that can noticeably aid in tip engagement. If the skis have a demo-binding, don't be afraid to play with the mount point.

TS
TheArchitect

TheArchitect

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Did you ski the SC on the line ?
I often prefer my bindings to be +0.5cm to +1cm on my Stockli & Kastle skis as that can noticeably aid in tip engagement. If the skis have a demo-binding, don't be afraid to play with the mount point.

I forgot to check if they were on the line or not.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Tom at Northen Ludlow should have Stockli SLs on hand in demo.

Sponsor

Staff online